Mozzy Bites

uaelaelil

Dose anybody suffer bad from mozzy bites ?

Have been back in Thailand for a week now and allways when I visit the wifes parents in Petchburi

I tend to get bitten all over my legs and back.

What dose anyone else use to combat the flying buggers or least relive the itching (I forgot my antihystamines also =()

Have tried citrus sprays etc with little effect

White legs with big red bites dosn't look nice when walking about shopping etc

So any tips on how to clear them up quicker or combating not getting bitten.

Uael

Everyone seems to be affected differently. I believe that eating bananas attracts mosquitos and eating a lot of garlic repels them. My father was totally immune to all biting insects and yet he only ate what mother fed him. By contrast, my poor mother would swell up if a biting fly or mosquito even came close. Unfortunately, my father was scornful of other people's failings and just said... "What's the matter, they don't bother me!"

I've got a bit of both genes in my body and I seldom bother with insect repelent. I get bitten, but only a few bites affect me negatively. What bothers me the most is the little whining buzz in my ears at night.

As already stated, long sleaves, socks and long pants seem to be the only answer for people who are affected by the bites. I DO know one critter that is worse, though. The sand flies of New Zealand are real nasty critters. They are similar to the black flies of northern Canadian lakes district. Some one told me there are special lights for outside patios that seem to repel or kill mosquitos, but I haven't tried them.

did the Abel Tasman walk waay back ( a walk along the top of the South Island) beautiful coastal scenery, etc but the sandflies!!

Cracking walk that Donnyboy and Nelson has some good bars :) Did couple days' kayaking and the walk, but yeah the sandflies are buggers.

That blue/white stuff they sell here in 7-11 for 37 baht ish works well for mozzies as a preventative.

And, despite their name, sandflies don't have to be anywhere near sand. They are VERY common on the north end of the south Island. For me their bite was far worse than any mosquito bite. And, the itch lasted a week, not just over night like a mosquito bite.

Ahuriri_River_2.jpg

mozziego.jpg

Mozzies had a feast of me for the first six-eight weeks back in Thailand.

Whether they've disappeared now, or whether I've adjusted over time is a good question, but they're not eating me alive so much now as they were a few weeks ago, even here in this same room day and night, or at the same restaurants I still visit every night or two, where I'd got so afraid of dengue or something like that, I even took a pack of those Tesco-Lotus mozzie coils to the regular restaurants, and there's the Baygon on the bedside table in my room at night, but they don't seem to fancy the taste of me as much now as they did when I first got back off the plane from Australia.

... some have allergic reactions, that why large red spots - "fenistil gel helps - or any antihistamine gel - tiger balm, monkey brand... I use my own saliva, if needed, does wonders!

and yes, prevention is the "magic formula"!

Saw some TV wildlife program, some time ago about mozzies, one of the areas they investigated was why some people are more susceptible to getting targeted by mozzies.

Why is it that some people can go without any form of anti mozzie protection and others still get “lanced” in a boiler suite having emptied 2 cans of Off all over them selves.

In the main most people fall into; put anti mozzie on…Fine, no bites don’t and get bitten.

They put it down to body odor, that doesn’t mean if your bitten a lot you’re a minger, it just means, you’re unlucky, and to a mozzie the odor your body gives off is, well, a bit like warm apple pie! If your one of the unlucky people putting on anti mozzie will only mask your “whiff” for as certain time.

Things you can do to help, I believe some foods help, chilies, yes! The hotter the better, apparently, and it thins the blood. Having worked with the Gurkhas in the jungles, a lot used to swallow a match head each day, did that work? Don’t know, but we Brits would joke about not rubbing against them as they might light up!

One other thing found that attracted mozzies like curry to a pisshead, was stale sweat, in particular cheesy feet.

Saw some TV wildlife program, some time ago about mozzies, one of the areas they investigated was why some people are more susceptible to getting targeted by mozzies.

Why is it that some people can go without any form of anti mozzie protection and others still get "lanced" in a boiler suite having emptied 2 cans of Off all over them selves.

In the main most people fall into; put anti mozzie on…Fine, no bites don't and get bitten.

They put it down to body odor, that doesn't mean if your bitten a lot you're a minger, it just means, you're unlucky, and to a mozzie the odor your body gives off is, well, a bit like warm apple pie! If your one of the unlucky people putting on anti mozzie will only mask your "whiff" for as certain time.

Things you can do to help, I believe some foods help, chilies, yes! The hotter the better, apparently, and it thins the blood. Having worked with the Gurkhas in the jungles, a lot used to swallow a match head each day, did that work? Don't know, but we Brits would joke about not rubbing against them as they might light up!

One other thing found that attracted mozzies like curry to a pisshead, was stale sweat, in particular cheesy feet.

Agreed. It takes a while to acclimatise from a temperate zone to a place like this, even in the cool season. One thing new I seem to have learned is how the change from the wheat-based western food to rice-based Thai food, as well as the chilli, might come standard with a period of time during which the mozzies adore a change of diet from lands afar.

It took me around 8 weeks this time, but I admit to quite a few doses of KFC along the way. That's what the mozzies see as a delicacy - fast food!

---o0o---

Speaking of which, I'm due for some right now. brb 60 minutes.

Edited by SeanMoran

Shoes, socks, long paints & long sleeve shirts work for me.

Same same. Besides, do you know how much Thais smirk behind your back, when you walk around looking like a 12-year-old boy in those short pants? :)

And we smirk at them on warm evening when they walk around bundled up like eskimos in the winter. Who gives a rat's patooy what others think. Only the insecure.

'Samuian'

... some have allergic reactions, that why large red spots - "fenistil gel helps - or any antihistamine gel - tiger balm, monkey brand... I use my own saliva, if needed, does wonders!

and yes, prevention is the "magic formula"!

Funny you should mention that , as soon as I feel the sting or itch I put some 'Spit 'on it , 2/4 applications and no problem , my wife will not do this so we apply Hydrocortisone to her bites , she has some scars from old bites because she is such a 'Picker/scratcher' , that usualy fixes the problem .

A mozzy is a tiny flying intrusive son-of-a-b@@#@tch that sings in your ear trying to attract a mate , she has a long probiscus that she inserts into a vein to enable her to suck your blood to reproduce more of the annoying little pests . Normally attracted by your breath .

MOSQUITO

Same same. Besides, do you know how much Thais smirk behind your back, when you walk around looking like a 12-year-old boy in those short pants? :)

And we smirk at them on warm evening when they walk around bundled up like eskimos in the winter. Who gives a rat's patooy what others think. Only the insecure.

Who indeed. And anyway, I see loads of Thai guys wearing shorts, both in Bangkok and in the country.

The best repellant is DEET, jungle strength.  :D Don't know if it's available in LoS. I don't have much of a problem with bites really. I get a few, but I don't think they like the taste of me very much.

did the Abel Tasman walk waay back ( a walk along the top of the South Island) beautiful coastal scenery, etc but the sandflies!!

Cracking walk that Donnyboy and Nelson has some good bars :D Did couple days' kayaking and the walk, but yeah the sandflies are buggers.

That blue/white stuff they sell here in 7-11 for 37 baht ish works well for mozzies as a preventative.

yeah we did the kayak as well, one day was a real slog against the wind, but worth the grind as we found heaps of fresh mussels off the rocks....

i really didnt know what was worse, the sandflies or the tent we lived in that smelt like smelly socks!! :)

i suffer from all kinds of bites

fyi the worst by far were something called chiggers in the states

hope they dont have them here in thailand

worse then mossies, ants, spiders, bees. etc...

creates dreadful itchy BLISTERS that last for days to weeks

Whether I give a rat's patooy or not depends on the benefits derived from accommodating the culture. Sometimes it pays off. Other times, you shoot yourself in the foot. Be discerning. :D

By far the best mosquito repellant in Thailand is a little white bottle (40cc) with a blue cap with the number 15 on the front. My gf is sleeping now or I'd get the Thai name but we just call it sip ha (15). It's 26% DEET and it's so strong that it will melt the plastic of a cigarette lighter.

It's available at all Family Marts and 7-11s for 37 Baht and a bottle will last a year here. I'm out in the jungle lots at night and no problem. I even use it back home where the "yung" are huge. Smells nice too.

Edited by finner

• 1 month later...

This is a very interesting and informative thread folks. I've learnt quite a few things by reading this.

I have one question about Mosquito bites which has puzzled me for some time and I hope someone out there can help with it.

I'm curious to know what makes them bite certain parts of the body and not others. I always get bitten on: feet, ankles, knees, elbows and even occasionally finger knuckles. I dont get bitten on my arms, neck or face however, which are exposed day & night and would seem to present an easier target for the insects.. Is there something about the joints around the body that attracts them?

Edited by Bearnagh

This is a very interesting and informative thread folks. I've learnt quite a few things by reading this.

I have one question about Mosquito bites which has puzzled me for some time and I hope someone out there can help with it.

I'm curious to know what makes them bite certain parts of the body and not others. I always get bitten on: feet, ankles, knees, elbows and even occasionally finger knuckles. I dont get bitten on my arms, neck or face however, which are exposed day & night and would seem to present an easier target for the insects.. Is there something about the joints around the body that attracts them?

On softer parts of the body it is more difficult for them to " take off". Pushing away from a firm part is easier....so I am told.... :)

On softer parts of the body it is more difficult for them to " take off". Pushing away from a firm part is easier....so I am told.... :)

seriously? I guess it makes sense - only question mark I'd put on that theory is that in relative terms, given the extremely low mass of a Mosquito, that any part of the body would be "firm". Interesting point for discussion!

Edited by Bearnagh

seriously? I guess it makes sense - only question mark I'd put on that theory is that in relative terms, given the extremely low mass of a Mosquito, that any part of the body would be "firm". Interesting point for discussion!

Well, it is something what is said, not really sure. But when I heard it, it made sens to me too.

They have to get their " straw" out of the flesh so need a firm base to do that....again..so I was told.

Being close to the floor also means less wind.

They have to get their " straw" out of the flesh so need a firm base to do that....again..so I was told.

That raises another point that really puzzles me. How on earth do they ever get their straw into you? I mean it must take a fair push to poke it through the skin... a push that you would imagine would result in lifting the Mozzy off the surface rather than penetrating the skin... Maybe they cling on in some way with grippy feet?