I'm Hooked As Well

People do reckon that British television is the best in the world,but BBC prime seems to be the best of the best. I had it just in case something came on that I wanted to see ( I only watch TV for about two hours every night from 8-10,unless there is footie on),but now whenever I'm at home Prime gets turned on. A lot of people have whinged because the programmes get repeated each evening,but the other night I wanted to see the first episode of'Deceit' and I did not get back from an airport run till eleven(Phuket Air's 18.50 flight),just in time to see the re-run.

Other delights include; Silent Witness,Judge John Deed,The Buccanneers,Red Dwarf,Absolutely Fab,Down to Earth,The Weakest Link,My Hero,Fawlty Towers,Black Adder and plenty more to come. Great British Television certainly. And worth every penny.

I agree!  BBC Prime, Starworld and AXN is all you need. Im glad I paid the extra money for the extra channels, but if they had the three mentioned in a package Id just take that.

Gimme a break...the Babes on Fox News are better looking and they don't have that thick accent! :o

My feeling is that it might be primarily the Brits who like their TV. I also feel that very few Americans feel the same as the Brits.  :o

Cultural thing?  "Home" thing?

I'm not into television in Thailand - too much else to do! :D

Gimme a break...the Babes on Fox News are better looking and they don't have that thick accent!  :D
Thankfully I do not subscribe to Fox! :D If I am looking for lies or pats on the back for Bush, I can just go over to the forum your a moderator on :o
I'm not into television in Thailand - too much else to do!  :D

Well some of us live here - part timer :D The rainy season brings, many days in front of the tele :D

Gimme a break...the Babes on Fox News are better looking and they don't have that thick accent! :D

No offense Boon Mee but Babes? What babes??? Also, Fox news motto is "fair and balanced". :D Might be more appropriate if they changed it to "If we want your opinion we'll give it to you" (or spin it to you;).

I did learn something on Parkinson the other week- apparently Jerry Springer was born somewhere in the underground during an air raid on London... :D

Growing up in Canada, we had alot of these BBC shows for years (on CBC) and I s'pose we get it (sometimes;) compared to some our friends south o' the 49th parallel. :D Mercifully, Coronation st isn't on BBc prime tho... :o:D (my Grandmum wouldn't be amused at that comment) :D

Did y'all know - I just found this out today - that Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., which owns Fox News distributes it FREE throughout the Middle East.

Kinda like VOA (Voice of America) did back during the bad old days of Communist East Europe! :o

The BBC has an increasing number of cricitcs, most of whom claim it is becoming too American and dumbing down it's reporting. To an extent I think a lot of this comes from Mr.Blair's government appreciating the value and role the media plays in contemporary society, and knowing how to apply professional constraints at the right time. More recently that has been in terms of when to release and when not to release information previously held, such as 'there are no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq'.

Whenever I watch it I notice that their reports are often very carefully worded, inconclusive, and generally inconsistent. Having said that, you cannot compare it to Fox and CNN, primarily because the media ultimately provides the public with the stories that satisfy it, and it's a well-known fact that Americans are generally undiscerning and don't really know what's going on in the world. Brits are generally more discerning about what they read/watch and consequently more choosy about where they get their info from. If BBC World is the best there is then this does not say much for the rest of the stuff on T.V. Perhaps the dominance of American Culture has placed a greater emphasis on entertaining news than accurate news reporting... .

Apologies if any of this makes me sound pompous but let's face it, the Americans are a thick bunch and the world would surely be a better place without them.

Apologies if any of this makes me sound pompous but let's face it, the Americans are a thick bunch and the world would surely be a better place without them.

Whoa! We got a ringer here, folks! :o

Packed in the "Rules" area of this fine Forum is an item addressing "Trolling". Now we all know rules were made to be broken but you've taken the cake here, buddy! :D

. If BBC World is the best there is then this does not say much for the rest of the stuff on T.V.

Please read it correctly; nobody said anything about BBC world. This thread is about BBc Prime. But if you want to talk about BBC world there's not much good to say.In fact CNN is ten times better for news about UK then BBC world at it's best. I am one that's really surprised. I wasn't a CNN fan,till I got fed up with the rubbish news on BBC and had a look at its rival.OK the CNN we get here comes from London,so maybe that is why it seems to cater for British tastes more than BBC. I know it wasn't good news for the most of the people,but CNN covered Charles and Camilla's wedding completely,where BBc did not .It does not matter what you think,it was British,and BBC not bothering with it was disgusting. And the sports news; so superior to it's so called British rival in reporting British interests its unreal. I watch and have CNN on all the time in the Pub now.

Edited by lampard10

Ah so it is. Apologies for that. 2 hours sleep on a bus to Mukdahan has affected my concentration more than I thought (knew I should have taken a day bus).

Can't comment about BBC Prime as I've never seen it. Like someone else said in this thread I prefer to do other things in Thailand and have chosen not to buy/watch a t.v. I remember Faulty Towers being very funny, the others I didn't really watch much. The only time I ever watch t.v is whenever someone at work has got the news on. I have seen CNN a few times and can't honestly say it seemed any better than BBC World, but I suppose I need to watch it more frequently to tell.

Americans: next time you get on a bus to Mukdahan. Don't piss people off by waking them up just after they've got off to sleep and asking them if the bus is going all the way to Mukdahan. :o

<deleted>

UBC are currently giving me BBC Prime at no extra cost - and I am on Gold. It only appeared last week (listed as a future channel) but it's still coming thru on channel 8. Possibly a sign that it will be added to Gold? Or simply another UBC c*ck-up???

Ah so it is. Apologies for that. 2 hours sleep on a bus to Mukdahan has affected my concentration more than I thought (knew I should have taken a day bus).

good of you to apologise for a truly blatant remark remark to the other poster. Brits are admired for 'sutle humour' and you sounded like the kind you purport to despise

Americans: next time you get on a bus to Mukdahan. Don't piss people off by waking them up just after they've got off to sleep and asking them if the bus is going all the way to Mukdahan. :o

<deleted>

Oh well.... :D

I remember Faulty Towers being very funny

Erm, not to find 'fault' Fw but that should be Fawlty Towers :D... one of the few series anywhere I can watch over and over and enjoy everytime. Always thought there were 13 episodes tho???

Episode List:

Series 1 (19 Sep 75 - 24 Oct 75)

A Touch Of Class (19 Sep 75)

The Builders (26 Sep 75)

The Wedding Party (3 Oct 75)

The Hotel Inspectors (10 Oct 75)

Gourmet Night (17 Oct 75)

The Germans (24 Oct 75)

Series 2 (19 Feb 79 - 25 Oct 79)

Communication Problems (19 Feb 79)

The Psychiatrist (26 Feb 79)

Waldorf Salad (5 Mar 79)

The Kipper And The Corpse (12 Mar 79)

The Anniversary (26 Mar 79)

Basil The Rat (25 Oct 79)

No offense Boon Mee but Babes? What babes???

Look again--the babes--so gorgeous to be so brainy, articulate, focused, and professional on international news. All things are relative, but compare w/ CNN and BBC.

Also, Fox news motto is "fair and balanced".  :o  Might be more appropriate if they changed it to "If we want your opinion we'll give it to you" (or spin it to you;).

Residents past and present of the various nanny states are often too brainwashed to recognize fairness. But Fox has leftists on all the time to have their say. Al Sharpton is practically a regular. Alan Colmes is on daily.

Growing up in Canada

Wasn't that the country that tried to deny its citizens any right to receive Fox? A bit like North Korea, eh. :D

There tends to be a distinct difference between Brit and American sitcoms.

The Brits use offbeat characters and develop the quirks of their behaviour.

The Americans tend to use clean good looking people and develop situations that they get themselves into.

I think BBC Prime is a good channel and would recommend it to anyone who likes Brit sitcoms - it makes a refreshing change from all the American stuff. The do repeat the progs. a bit too quickly tho, sometimes within a couple of hrs.

The Brits use offbeat characters and develop the quirks of their behaviour.

The Americans tend to use clean good looking people and develop situations that they get themselves into.

I think BBC Prime is a good channel and would recommend it to anyone who likes Brit sitcoms - it makes a refreshing change from all the American stuff. The do repeat the progs. a bit too quickly tho, sometimes within a couple of hrs.

What I find about American humour is that suddenly in the middle of a sit-com half the actors get wiped out by the plague,or the leading actors child gets run over by a juggernaut,or the darling child star thast makes everyone laugh dies of food poisoning. Why do they always bring sadness into their comedy programmes.

Or is it because M.A.S.H. was one of the greatest comedy shows made and death and humour walked hand in hand. Every American sit-com I have seen tries to emulate that. Saying that though M.A.S.H. was the closest America have been to our humour;in fact in a way it was British humour.

Growing up in Canada

Wasn't that the country that tried to deny its citizens any right to receive Fox? A bit like North Korea, eh. :D

I believe it was deemed in the best national interest :D

M.A.S.H. was the closest America have been to our humour;in fact in a way it was British humour.

Mash was classic! If you guys ever saw "SCTV" in the land of Dudley Do-right, you'd have 'chortled' and hee'd yourself silly. Eventually, all the cast went south of the 49th and became 'Americans'. Unfortunately most of the material was unlike the pure comedic magic that once was SCTV (save the earliest SNL seasons;) Johnny Larue, gone but never forgotten... :o

Growing up in Canada

Wasn't that the country that tried to deny its citizens any right to receive Fox? A bit like North Korea, eh. :o

Because individual Canadian citizens, rather like North Koreans, are incapable of deciding for themselves what is in their own interests? Why would that be?

Growing up in Canada

Because individual Canadian citizens, rather like North Koreans, are incapable of deciding for themselves what is in their own interests? Why would that be?

Some things are just more basic than that dear 6 pak... like absently placing one's hand in a meat grinder - y'know, things you should just try to naturally avoid...like watching FOX news for example :D

OTOH, Dukes of Hazzard's probably HUGE in Kim Jong ILLS and Rupert Murdoch's house... but didn't go over in the great white north :o

Are'nt "The Big Strong Boys" a pair of W**kers? :o

The Americans should watc British comedies so they can learn how to make funny sitcoms. :D

Father Ted has to be the funniest show for decades.

The Americans have recently tried to copy The Office it was appalling - no real sense of humour the Yanks -. The great gift of British Comedy is laughing at ourselves - the Yanks are far to self important to do this.

good of you to apologise for a truly blatant remark remark to the other poster. Brits are admired for 'sutle humour' and you sounded like the kind you purport to despise

<deleted>

Oh well.... :D

I remember Faulty Towers being very funny

Erm, not to find 'fault' Fw but that should be Fawlty Towers :D... one of the few series anywhere I can watch over and over and enjoy everytime. Always thought there were 13 episodes tho???

Episode List:

Series 1 (19 Sep 75 - 24 Oct 75)

A Touch Of Class (19 Sep 75)

The Builders (26 Sep 75)

The Wedding Party (3 Oct 75)

The Hotel Inspectors (10 Oct 75)

Gourmet Night (17 Oct 75)

The Germans (24 Oct 75)

Series 2 (19 Feb 79 - 25 Oct 79)

Communication Problems (19 Feb 79)

The Psychiatrist (26 Feb 79)

Waldorf Salad (5 Mar 79)

The Kipper And The Corpse (12 Mar 79)

The Anniversary (26 Mar 79)

Basil The Rat (25 Oct 79)

Watery Fowls

http://www.fawltysite.net/fawlty-towers-signs1.htm

Are'nt "The Big Strong Boys" a pair of W**kers? :D

The Americans should watc British comedies so they can learn how to make funny sitcoms. :D

Father Ted has to be the funniest show for decades.

The Americans have recently tried to copy The Office it was appalling - no real sense of humour the Yanks -. The great gift of British Comedy is laughing at ourselves - the Yanks are far to self important to do this.

Alex, have you checked out "Arrested Development" on UBC/Star? It's brilliant! and proves Americans can indeed laugh at themselves (hope it doesn't get cancelled due to lack of popularity in the states tho) :o

SCTV  was pretty funny stuff.  Wasn't their a running joke with the Guy Caballero  character and $100,000.00 missing?

Alas, I don't think erstwhile Johnny ever found it but then, in real terms, 100k in the northern peso is only worth about 1pound sterling :D

:o  Everybody Loves Ramon, The King of Queens, Married w/ Children... M w/ C laughs at a loser American family.  I'm not a big fan of tv so I don't want to defend it too much.

Married with Children proved to be a massive hit in Germany,which is where I first saw it. Ans believe me,it is still hilarious dubbed in German.