Cheap Dongle And Internet Access

paul-s

Hi Guys

I will be coming to Pattaya shortly and want to use my laptop on the internet. I was planning to buy a dongle when I get there and use the mobile phone network.

I would grateful of any advice regarding price and coverage. I will be over the other side of the railway tracks from Sukamvit Road.

Most places indeed have wifi now, if you really want to be mobile and independent, you can use the mobile pone network.

But as we still do not have 3G expect it to be on the slow side. OK for regular surfing and e-mailing but forget streaming video (audio a bit hit and miss but should work most of the time).

Cheap though, with a package (available pre-paid on both AIS and Dtac) you'll pay between 4 and 10 Baht/hour!

The dongles are available in TukCom (the main IT mall in Pattaya) for a tad over 2,000 Baht.

Most places indeed have wifi now, if you really want to be mobile and independent, you can use the mobile pone network.

But as we still do not have 3G expect it to be on the slow side. OK for regular surfing and e-mailing but forget streaming video (audio a bit hit and miss but should work most of the time).

Cheap though, with a package (available pre-paid on both AIS and Dtac) you'll pay between 4 and 10 Baht/hour!

The dongles are available in TukCom (the main IT mall in Pattaya) for a tad over 2,000 Baht.

Many thanks for your reply, it is of great help.

All I really want to do is stay in touch with family and work while I am staying in a private house in Pattaya.

Paul :)

I have just set up internet through my mobile phone using a DTAC PAYG sim card. The cost at present was I think 220 Baht for 50 hours with a bonus 50 hours so all in all 100 hours for a little over 200 Baht. The call centre talked me through setting it up on my Mac to connect via Bluetooth through my phone in less than 10 minutes.

It is not the fastest but I can surf the net, send receive emails etc.