Fire Breaks Out At Krabi Hotel

webfact

The thread has now been unhijacked by the language nazis. Guess my public warning went unheeded. Too bad, because the next off topic post hijacking this thread gets more than mere deletion.

A fire in a hotel is the subject and, apparently, the conclusion was that the fire was next door, the hotel is ok and nobody was hurt.

29 Posts until any such details as to whether the hotel was ok. I placed a thread on the Krabi Forum because I thought that might well be the place where a decent reply would come from. Was CLOSED of course and the topic linked to here. I do genuinly wander why I bothered in the first place. Pointless.

the main problem of the google language tool,

they offer only one translation of a thai word.

In Thai Language, words have 5 meanings or more, and you have to decide, what is fitting.

a better online language translation tool,

http://www.thai2english.com/online/

Oh, really?!... How silly of me... After a few years in LoS I came to a firm conclusion that Thai say one thing, meaning another. And visa-versa.

Saying something and meaning it is virtually impossible to Thai... Reasons are many, -

-you may 'lose the face'

-the speaking person may 'lose the face'

-it would be against the thai 'culture'

-each thai word has many meanings

-many thai words have no meaning

-disparity between meanings of the same word in english and thai languages

-poor language knowledge

-scarcity of people with adequate knowledge of both languages

-bad teachers of english in Thailand (exceptions do happen)

-alterior motives (outright lies)

Did I forget something? :)

This belongs to a friend of ours. Glad no one was hurt

Although fires in LOS are usually looked upon as accidents in many cases they are not accidental, but rather waiting to happen.

I did report on this site how a highrise condominium building did not have any fire alarm and/or protection for over 3 years! As a result I filed a matter in Court against the Managing maintenance Co. Guess what happened? The alarm system was installed within 2 weeks. Case dismissed!...

Speaking of this OP, I wonder, what shape was the fire safety in this joint. The 20M bt

damage may be a dream never come true. Usually the insurer claims, that the accident happened due to negligence or malice on part of the insured employees is not paid for. :) (unless the compensation money is split up wisely).

hmm maybe you could have a word with Mahidol University International School in Salaya...many of the fire safety devices have been removed probably because they didn't look pretty. One of our teachers actually pointed out that the holes in the ceiling once held smoke detectors.

Fire safety is overlooked far too often in Thailand.. it's scary.

Nice people. Beautiful land. Pleasant climate. Bandar-log management. :D

29 Posts until any such details as to whether the hotel was ok. I placed a thread on the Krabi Forum because I thought that might well be the place where a decent reply would come from. Was CLOSED of course and the topic linked to here. I do genuinly wander why I bothered in the first place. Pointless.

Good point Samuiseagull, hope this helps...I called in to the Phra nang Inn this morning with your question in mind...all seems ok there, quite busy and lots of smiling people around (staff and guests), I was told they expect all repairs to be done in the 5 days (so whats this about the fire being next door?). this seems a v nice place so have a good trip and enjoy your stay in Ao Nang, first time in Krabi?

I was told they expect all repairs to be done in the 5 days

(so whats this about the fire being next door?).

well, someone said that it was the fire next door....

and another important person categorically surmised:

"A fire in a hotel is the subject and, apparently, the conclusion was that the fire was next door, the hotel is ok and nobody was hurt."

so it was assumed that it was the fire next door....

until you showed up and said that you personally visited the place and that it was the fire on premise, and not the fire next door....

now LOL.... are we to believe you or the other posters.... LOL

Edited by nakachalet

"A fire in a hotel is the subject and, apparently, the conclusion was that the fire was next door, the hotel is ok and nobody was hurt."

until you showed up and said that you personally visited the place and that it was the fire on premise, and not the fire next door....

Ok, lets get this straight...maybe the fire started next door (not yet confirmed) but I was def told by reception staff that they expect repairs to be done within 5 days so you can draw your own conclusion from this, the place looks great and appears to be working normally. I was simply trying to stick to the topic started by Sumuiseagull and help him out as I understood this forum is all about...so whats all this LOL <deleted> ?

Ok, lets get this straight...maybe the fire started next door (not yet confirmed) but I was def told by reception staff that they expect repairs to be done within 5 days so you can draw your own conclusion from this, the place looks great and appears to be working normally. I was simply trying to stick to the topic started by Sumuiseagull and help him out as I understood this forum is all about...so whats all this LOL <deleted> ?

Hi Ray,

as my Dad once advised me, don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff. You have first hand account we appreciate that, let these other goofball posters pop off and don't let it bother you.

Cheers mate, GOM

Many thanks 'rayinkrabi' for a decent reply to a serious topic that as usual on thaivisa has degenerated into the usual cynical ramblings by people who are replying to a post they have'nt got the faintest idea as to what they are bleating on about. Top Man :)

Hi all, my wife and I are booked in to stay there in 3 weeks - we just paid 2 nights ago. F'kn yikes. Thanks for the updates everyone. It's interesting to note that I trust the reliability of the comments in here considerably more than the info I've read in the news (gas bottles exploding, hotel gutted, etc.)

This will be the 3rd or 4th time we've stayed there - excellent spot. Thank god/buddha/invisible-overlord that this fire happened after the recent renovations (remember when it used to have a facade of split bamboo? ...and looked like a tree-house?).

Any more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

...now back to the spelling nazi-ing

:)

Hi all, my wife and I are booked in to stay there in 3 weeks - we just paid 2 nights ago. F'kn yikes. Thanks for the updates everyone. It's interesting to note that I trust the reliability of the comments in here considerably more than the info I've read in the news (gas bottles exploding, hotel gutted, etc.)

This will be the 3rd or 4th time we've stayed there - excellent spot. Thank god/buddha/invisible-overlord that this fire happened after the recent renovations (remember when it used to have a facade of split bamboo? ...and looked like a tree-house?).

You'll be fine, I'm just off the phone with them and they say all repairs underway and should be completely normal by mid-next week.

Great location, enjoy your stay, try the noodle soup in front of the minimart up the street.

oh dear....

oh no....

rayinkrabi....

i always believe the eye witness, like in your case, over secondary sources.... and consequentially i believe your account and explanation is more accurate.... alright? Laughing out loud....

you must have misinterpreted my solidly good intention to be otherwise....

yes, i do believe your acct becaue you were there in person and on premise too, whereas those others were just.... you know what.... LOL

You'll be fine, I'm just off the phone with them and they say all repairs underway and should be completely normal by mid-next week.

Great location, enjoy your stay, try the noodle soup in front of the minimart up the street.

Thanks GOM, I appreciate the update. I will be sure to try that soup ...among other things :D

No worries Nakachalet, just put the misunderstanding down to my inexperience on these forums...at least we got there in the end :-)

Bobby, also check out the Last Fisherman bar for a great place to chill out with a cold one..turn left just past the Phra Nang Inn and walk down the beach rd past the Golden Beach resort till the end, good spot right on the beach for sunset. The A1 restaurant is also a great place for English food, its on the road to Nopparat Thara a few hundred metres past the Luna Bar,

GOM, nice saying by your Dad, cheers mate.

• 1 month later...
...Bobby, also check out the Last Fisherman bar for a great place to chill out with a cold one..turn left just past the Phra Nang Inn and walk down the beach rd past the Golden Beach resort till the end, good spot right on the beach for sunset.

Just got back from Thailand. The hotel was fine. Actually, the fire begun in the public toilets beside the hotel - but some of the hotel roof caught fire.

Last Fisherman bar was freakin awesome. I can't believe after 6+ times in Ao Nang and I'd never gone there. Great suggestion RayInKrabi.

Now it's back to reality in OZ. :)