Comprehensive List Of Scams In Phuket/thailand.

NamKangMan

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am still waiting to be scammed too.......maybe if I live here a few more years I will be able to post one.

....hmmmm...well, if you should ever feel life is just passing you by in this respect, you really should get out a bit more...:)

....hmmmm...well, if you should ever feel life is just passing you by in this respect, you really should get out a bit more...:D

After reading the 7 pages of this thread I do feel like I am missing out a bit

Maybe you should take off those rose coloured glasses of yours. :)

Maybe you should take off those rose coloured glasses of yours. :D
Life with rose coloured glasses is much more enjoyable than with your dark coloured ones :)

Maybe not all of us have a Thai missus to get Thai prices, on our behalf, and to speak Thai, on our behalf, thus, reducing the risk of being scammed, like you do. :D :D

How can anyone who frequents bars with hostesses say they are being scammed.

The lady's are there to make money and quite a few send all the money they

can spare back home to support there children and parents.

There are bars even in Bangla road with no hostesses, if you chose to go to

a bar where you can have a lady's company you are going to pay extra they are

not there because they love you they are there to make a living, everyone knows

this so its not a scam.

Having a Thai missus has nothing to do with ones view on life.

I'm a "glass half full" sort of guy. I like Thailand, and in particular, Phuket.

Have I been scammed before? Yes. Have I lost my life savings? No. Unfortunately, some have, or, worse, have ended up being killed (you know - the balcony jumpers that were pushed, and it's written off by police as a suicide). Nothing wrong with being wise to the scams being pulled all around you.

If this thread "wises up" some first timers to Phuket that, for example, 200 baht in a Tuk-Tuk is a rip off, and to check their bar bill before paying, then it's a good thing.

Over time, we have all learned the way of Thai's with farang. Sometimes we have learned the hard way, sometimes we have learned from others. This forum is all about the exchange of information, and learning from others. Surely, you can't deny the fact that a lot of scams are going on in Phuket? Some of them are for hundreds of thousands of baht, some are just for a few baht, either way, it's still a scam.

I'm not viewing Phuket through "dark glasses" - it's just reality.

this so its not a scam.

Because there are norms and actions that are outside the realm of standard / expected bar behaviour. Or in your world is anything that happens on Bangla Rd 'fair game' ?? Why not just mug the punter as he walks in the door, they are only out to make a living after all ??

If you order one drink and get charged for 5 is that a scam ?? If you order a drink that normally costs 80 baht, to be told its 500 plus is that a scam ??

If you buy a bar girl a drink, expecting that by accepting the drink she will be socializing with you, and she walks away as soon as its bought, you have essentially purchased a service that they did not provide.

On the level of one drink who cares ?? But on the level where it becomes common practice to simply con the gullible (or those expecting nightlife norms) the basic service the town is offering (like it or hate it) starts to be poorly reviewed.

this so its not a scam.

I have no problem buying a "Lady Drink" at 150 baht. I know the added cost of the drink is for the girl's attention. I have bought a lot of lady drinks in my time. :) It doesn't bother me that you are billed for a malibu and orange, when it really is coconut juice and orange because this is pretty much standard practice in the beer bars. When I check the bill and see I have been billed for 6 beers instead of the 4, or 5, I have had, or, a different brand name of beer, then, I become a little suspicious. Unfortunately, this seems to also be standard practice in many of the beer bars.

this so its not a scam.

Because there are norms and actions that are outside the realm of standard / expected bar behaviour. Or in your world is anything that happens on Bangla Rd 'fair game' ?? Why not just mug the punter as he walks in the door, they are only out to make a living after all ??

If you order one drink and get charged for 5 is that a scam ?? If you order a drink that normally costs 80 baht, to be told its 500 plus is that a scam ??

If you buy a bar girl a drink, expecting that by accepting the drink she will be socializing with you, and she walks away as soon as its bought, you have essentially purchased a service that they did not provide.

On the level of one drink who cares ?? But on the level where it becomes common practice to simply con the gullible (or those expecting nightlife norms) the basic service the town is offering (like it or hate it) starts to be poorly reviewed.

Easy fixed ask to see the price list, check your bill and drink in a bar with no hostesses.

Bars with hostesses are the same all around the world it not only happens in Thailand.

If you choose to drink in a bar with hostesses you are going to pay extra they are not

paid a wage they work on a commission basis, its up to yourself not to drink so much that

you do not know what your doing.

I'm not viewing Phuket through "dark glasses" - it's just reality.
That is exactly what I mean, you see your reality.

Ok - substitue the word "reality" for "fact." Does that take the "objectivity" out of it for you????

Are you honestly stating that you have never, ever, been scammed, even just a few baht?

If so, congratulations. You should write a book.

If you have, maybe you could share your experience with those on the forum so they may learn and not be done by the same scam, or, at least, minimse their loss. Does this make sense to you?

This is a forum, on the internet, open to and used by the public. If you have no interest in this particular topic, why critisise those who do? This topic has books and other websites dedicated to the topic, so, there is obvious public interest.

I'm not criticising anybody here. I am just pointing out that the quite often used comment: 'take your rose coloured glasses of', just like you did here, is a comment made from a certain perspective. Life will be much more enjoyable if you change your perspective and look at life through rose coloured glasses.

Easy fixed ask to see the price list, check your bill and drink in a bar with no hostesses.

Bars with hostesses are the same all around the world it not only happens in Thailand.

If you choose to drink in a bar with hostesses you are going to pay extra they are not

paid a wage they work on a commission basis, its up to yourself not to drink so much that

Many restaurants in Thailand have two menus. One for Thai's, and one for farang. Obviously, the farang menu is in English, but, guess what, the prices are different.

Now, we all know the two teir price system operates in Thailand, but, I choose to frequent the restaurants that charge farang the same price as Thai's, for the same food.

I choose to do this not because of a lack of capacity to pay, but on principle.

So, when you go to a restaurant, which menu will you ask for????

None of that has anything to do with outright scamming tho.

When they pad a bill when you not looking, or claim you have ordered 10 drinks when you havent.. You feel thats not being scammed ?? Because "they are there to make money" ??

The scene is full of scams, most people with some experience know how to keep an eye out, minimize them, and not get caught.. But they shouldnt need to and have every right to complain when being cheated. Simply because its done by Thais to farangs becuase the Thais "are there to make a living" does not justify except in the mind of the most blinkered Thai apologist.

These continual scams are getting bad press, and many Phuket regulars are looking elsewhere, the influx of more package tours and less hardened travellers is masking that / changing the demographic. Lets hope package holiday makers and tour group people spend the same amounts of money. From what I see they stroll around, buy a cheap sarong, gawk at the ladyboys and are far morelikely to spend the money in a chain hotel paying its staff minimum wages. If thats good or bad for the local economy we will see.

Many restaurants in Thailand have two menus. One for Thai's, and one for farang. Obviously, the farang menu is in English, but, guess what, the prices are different.

Now, we all know the two teir price system operates in Thailand, but, I choose to frequent the restaurants that charge farang the same price as Thai's, for the same food.

I choose to do this not because of a lack of capacity to pay, but on principle.

So, when you go to a restaurant, which menu will you ask for????

I only use restaurants that charge everyone the same price.

None of that has anything to do with outright scamming tho.

When they pad a bill when you not looking, or claim you have ordered 10 drinks when you havent.. You feel thats not being scammed ?? Because "they are there to make money" ??

The scene is full of scams, most people with some experience know how to keep an eye out, minimize them, and not get caught.. But they shouldnt need to and have every right to complain when being cheated. Simply because its done by Thais to farangs becuase the Thais "are there to make a living" does not justify except in the mind of the most blinkered Thai apologist.

These continual scams are getting bad press, and many Phuket regulars are looking elsewhere, the influx of more package tours and less hardened travellers is masking that / changing the demographic. Lets hope package holiday makers and tour group people spend the same amounts of money. From what I see they stroll around, buy a cheap sarong, gawk at the ladyboys and are far morelikely to spend the money in a chain hotel paying its staff minimum wages. If thats good or bad for the local economy we will see.

Check the price list and if you are happy pay for your drinks as you go.

That way you wont be paying for drinks you did not have.

Most tourists coming to Phuket book package deals and always have and the ones i know

do not spend all there money in the hotel but in local shops, restaurants and sight

seeing.

Ok - substitue the word "reality" for "fact." Does that take the "objectivity" out of it for you????

Are you honestly stating that you have never, ever, been scammed, even just a few baht?

If so, congratulations. You should write a book.

If you have, maybe you could share your experience with those on the forum so they may learn and not be done by the same scam, or, at least, minimse their loss. Does this make sense to you?

This is a forum, on the internet, open to and used by the public. If you have no interest in this particular topic, why critisise those who do? This topic has books and other websites dedicated to the topic, so, there is obvious public interest.

You are right this is a public forum on the internet so people are welcome to criticise it if they dont agree in the same way other topics are debated on Thai Visa. Personaly I think this thread gives a negative impression of Phuket as I could honestly say that me and many of my colleagues have not been scammed during our time here. If you class a few baht as a scam then it could be hard to tell, maybe I have been scammed out of 3 baht somewhere and not noticed it. However I dont hang around with ladies of the night who would seem to be involved in many of the scams whether it be themselves or the establishments where they work.

The rose colour classes thing is rubbbish to be honest, if I did get scammed or saw a lot of scams then I would be happy to admit it.

Further to the above valuable information, especially the philosophical life guidance from regular funnyman Stevo, here's a tip for acquiring some free rose tinted specs.

Reverse scamming – Here's how it works.

Go to a movie house that's playing a 3D movie and grab yourself 2 pairs of the free 3D specs. If approached by Somchai the teller as to why you need 2 pairs, simply explain that as an old delusional codger, you are always forgetting things and start wai'ing the wall, etc...:D

Anyway, once safely back in your hovel, simply trim out the blue plastic lense and replace with the spare red lense from the second pair – BINGO! A free pair, yes that's free, pair of rose tinted specs! :)

Beat that scam, tuk-tuk driver..

God, I've just trawled through this entire thread and Have I Got News For You,

1. Anything involving bar girls, er, 'lady drinks' (Christ) ARE NOT 'scams'. You get suckered by overpaying some tart working in a clip joint, well that's what they're for. Natch.

2. When haggling a price on a market you come off agreeing to hand over a sum ridiculously expensive to what anyone with half a brain would consider reasonable for such item, som nom na you. You're stupid and have no taste.

A 'scam' is a deliberate trick to part the gullible/unwhiting from them and their money. A 500 baht airport taxi costing listed at 200 is a scam. Overcharging in Tesco where the price is clearly marked, is a scam. Charging 100 for a bowl of noodles when the locals pay 25 isn't a scam, just ignorance (all farang rich - no they're not) laced with xenophobia.

Anyhing concerning one lie (young Thai woman 'loving' old fat farang too much) mixed with another (aging fat farang deluding - lying to himself), fair bloody game.

I am still waiting to be scammed too.......maybe if I live here a few more years I will be able to post one.

some people are just not defensive enough. Like when the thai guy is looking over the jet ski before you mount it, you should be looking just as close as he is,and pointing out the defects to him.

I have rented jet ski's probably 10 times without problems. I have also shopped at King Power duty free too.biggrin.gif

Check the price list and if you are happy pay for your drinks as you go.

That way you wont be paying for drinks you did not have.

You must a be a hoot in the bar..

Quite simply thats not how it works, thats not how the system operates, and the system they do operate is often abused.

1. Anything involving bar girls, er, 'lady drinks' (Christ) ARE NOT 'scams'. You get suckered by overpaying some tart working in a clip joint, well that's what they're for. Natch.

Anyhing concerning one lie (young Thai woman 'loving' old fat farang too much) mixed with another (aging fat farang deluding - lying to himself), fair bloody game.

Theres plenty of things that are outright scams, and denying it only makes you look foolish or ignorant.

Yes you always need to be on your guard, but why, if Thais are such honest straight shooting individuals, do you need to be on your guard, paying each drink individually, checking the price isnt 10x too high ??? Why is that the advice if the fact is there are not these exact same scams pulled every night on those that dont check. You cant say 'you should be more aware' and that 'scams dont exist' if they dont exist why the advice to be so guarded?

Look at the common advice to always have to make sure every pump attendant has reset the pump.. The patong place used to pull this all day every day on people.. Even catching out the occasional hawk eyed expat who simply forgot or let his guard down for 10 seconds. Everyone knows they do it, you couldnt call it anything but a scam, yet some posters here have their head in the sand making like nothing like this goes on.

• Like 1

Theres plenty of things that are outright scams, and denying it only makes you look foolish or ignorant.

Yes you always need to be on your guard, but why, if Thais are such honest straight shooting individuals, do you need to be on your guard, paying each drink individually, checking the price isnt 10x too high ??? Why is that the advice if the fact is there are not these exact same scams pulled every night on those that dont check. You cant say 'you should be more aware' and that 'scams dont exist' if they dont exist why the advice to be so guarded?

Look at the common advice to always have to make sure every pump attendant has reset the pump.. The patong place used to pull this all day every day on people.. Even catching out the occasional hawk eyed expat who simply forgot or let his guard down for 10 seconds. Everyone knows they do it, you couldnt call it anything but a scam, yet some posters here have their head in the sand making like nothing like this goes on.

Haven't the slightest idea why you included two separate quotes regarding bar tarts to then go on and rant about scams per sehuh.gif Relevance?

2. When haggling a price on a market you come off agreeing to hand over a sum ridiculously expensive to what anyone with half a brain would consider reasonable for such item, som nom na you. You're stupid and have no taste.

A 'scam' is a deliberate trick to part the gullible/unwhiting from them and their money. A 500 baht airport taxi costing listed at 200 is a scam. Overcharging in Tesco where the price is clearly marked, is a scam. Charging 100 for a bowl of noodles when the locals pay 25 isn't a scam, just ignorance (all farang rich - no they're not) laced with xenophobia.

Good to see someone who agrees with me, i have found the worst scam artists in Phuket are not Thais they are farangs.

Is this a scam?

All those Thai people on Bangla road offering the "ping pong show, banana show, lady show" have a laminated card.

On the reverse of that laminated card are drinks pricing - beers anything from 500-1000 baht for example.

Of course the shows "starting in 5 minutes" really start in 2 hours and the ping pong show isn't what you expect.

...and then the bill comes and Davo,Kev, Shazza and Deb see the bill for 4,000 baht for 2 drinks each

The lights go low, 4 or 5 Thai guys appear and after some conversation the bill gets paid.

is it a scam...or creative marketing?

"We show Farang card. He looking looking. Not me fault farang stupid".

Somehow this "scam" is "authorized" and most of the Thais have purple shirts with numbers on them...probably so the police can identify just how many "permits" they are entitled to charge for.

Patong exists purely to separate you from you money. Nothing more, nothing less. We all know it.

I sometimes wish I was still one of those happy tourists that shakes hands with the mock Australian accented tailors and says "no thank you" to the hundred or so Tuk Tuk drivers that ask him if he wants a tuk tuk as he walks to Sea Pearl Hotel even though they are facing the wrong way. And then when he goes back home he says how fantastic the Thai people were in Patong and how they were always smiling and friendly and he saves for next years holiday.

Instead I am jaded and tense from the moment I land in Phuket, just awaiting the first attempted scam or inflated price as I run the gauntlet of touts to my overpriced limo.

Haven't the slightest idea why you included two separate quotes regarding bar tarts to then go on and rant about scams per sehuh.gif Relevance?

The reason is you claim anything that happens in the bars is basically deserved and not scams.. And then I list a few things that are clearly scams..

And you haven't "the slightest idea" about any connection between the two ??

Anyway.. Half of the defenders are saying people should just be more aware, the other half say scams dont really happen.. How do those two viewpoints reconcile ?