Comprehensive List Of Scams In Phuket/thailand.

NamKangMan

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Bog-Paper-Scam. :D

You all know what I mean. At any Somchai establishment there exists the enigma of why Somchai, who, after grudgingly providing a cracked toilet with no seat, (with bodged plumbing so that the water level is only just below the rim) decides that seeing as he doesn't wipe his own backside, doesn't see why you should, and steadfastly refuses to provide that symbol of all that is proper and decent to modern civilisation, Bog Paper. Happy is our Somchai to spend his mornings unblocking the u-bend, choked full of crumpled soiled pages from the Bangkok Post, rather than supply a few sheets of the white stuff....I really can't work it out... :)

Somchai: "Hah! Farang no hab get one on me!" (glug glug...rummage...gag..) :D

I must say i like the way this thread is going. There seem to be hardly any scams particular to thailand, espesially phuket.

:):D:D:D Phuket is one big scam - it should be renamed to Phukscamet. :D:D:D:D

We have probably all grown a thick skin to it and don't take too much notice of it anymore, but, it's still there.

The Bog-Paper-Scam. :D

You all know what I mean. At any Somchai establishment there exists the enigma of why Somchai, who, after grudgingly providing a cracked toilet with no seat, (with bodged plumbing so that the water level is only just below the rim) decides that seeing as he doesn't wipe his own backside, doesn't see why you should, and steadfastly refuses to provide that symbol of all that is proper and decent to modern civilisation, Bog Paper. Happy is our Somchai to spend his mornings unblocking the u-bend, choked full of crumpled soiled pages from the Bangkok Post, rather than supply a few sheets of the white stuff....I really can't work it out... :)

Somchai: "Hah! Farang no hab get one on me!" (glug glug...rummage...gag..) :D

Very funny Billy. I actually carry one of those small plastic packets of tissues, just in case I eat too much chilli for dinner. :D :D What sh*ts me (yes - that pun was on purpose) is paying the 5 baht to go to the toilet and the place is a mess - with no bog paper. Not a scam, as such, just poor service.

I was victim of motorbike repair shop scam 3-4 weeks ago. Bike had some problems with fuel injection system and thorough clean up of tank was required in order to remove dust particles, residue etc.

Owner of the shop himself offered to personally deliver the bike to my house and I accepted. Before arriving, he filled the tank with Gasohol even though he knew it uses only Shell Vpower. Of course, he didn't tell me this, I found out from his own mechanic who actually happens to be very critical of his boss' dishonest practices. According to him, this happened many times before with other customers.

Anyway, following day while riding and overtaking other vehicles engine suddenly went off - had a scare of my life! I was almost flattened by bus behind me...

Oh, did I mention he charged me for fuel and delivery: Baht 3,000 - 4km ride from his service center to my house. :)

Now, this is not just any service center, it actually belongs to self-proclaimed Thai Bike Scene know-it-all editor and owner of certain motorcycle magazine outrageously advertised as the best magazine of this kind in South East Asia.

I must say i like the way this thread is going. There seem to be hardly any scams particular to thailand, espesially phuket.

:):D:D:D Phuket is one big scam - it should be renamed to Phukscamet. :D:D:D:D

We have probably all grown a thick skin to it and don't take too much notice of it anymore, but, it's still there.

Absolutely, but the biggest scam in Phuket is the old "You so hansum, I love you too much" :cheesy:

The other scams, jetskis, double-pricing etc. pale into insignificance......

I was victim of motorbike repair shop scam 3-4 weeks ago. Bike had some problems with fuel injection system and thorough clean up of tank was required in order to remove dust particles, residue etc.

Owner of the shop himself offered to personally deliver the bike to my house and I accepted. Before arriving, he filled the tank with Gasohol even though he knew it uses only Shell Vpower. Of course, he didn't tell me this, I found out from his own mechanic who actually happens to be very critical of his boss' dishonest practices. According to him, this happened many times before with other customers.

Anyway, following day while riding and overtaking other vehicles engine suddenly went off - had a scare of my life! I was almost flattened by bus behind me...

Oh, did I mention he charged me for fuel and delivery: Baht 3,000 - 4km ride from his service center to my house. :)

Now, this is not just any service center, it actually belongs to self-proclaimed Thai Bike Scene know-it-all editor and owner of certain motorcycle magazine outrageously advertised as the best magazine of this kind in South East Asia.

3000 baht for a 4 km delivery. Mate, it would have been cheaper for you to have him put the bike on the the back of a tuk-tuk. :D Seriously, that's poor service to the point of a scam. You are obviously paying top dollar, for hopefully, a top job on your bike, by who is considered the top guy for the job, for a top bike. Why do they need to scam more money. Just pure greed.

I have just read about a new scam emerging.

The information comes from World Nomads Travel Insurance. Some of you may be aware of it, others, like me, may not be.

The scam is:

A person rings your relatives in your home country and states they are a doctor, or nurse, at the local hospital where you either reside as an expat, or are a tourist, on holiday. These people then say that you are incapacitated by either injury, or illness, and unable to speak on the phone. (they would possibly say you are unconscious) They then demand money, from your relatives, for immediate medical treatment. Instructions are then given on how to get the money to the scammers. Obviously, "the story" tugs at your family's heart strings - Eg. "he needs an operation in the next few hours or he will die" etc etc.

You are probably sitting in a bar, having a cold beer, with no knowledge of what's going on.

My "next of kin" (relatives - family) are listed in the phone book, which is also on the internet, and I have a rare surname. A quick internet check, based on where my passport was issed, and my surname, and you would have their phone number.

This scam could involve anyone from hotel reception staff, who have access to this basic information, up to Thai Immigration staff.

I carry a "global roaming" mobile phone - but I don't always have it on me. Eg. going to the beach, going for a night out. Sometimes, I am uncontactable for hours.

The insurance company suggest relatives ask which hospital you are in, then, they hang up and ring the hospital directly, from a number located on the internet, or Thai directory assistance, not the number supplied by the scammers. Most people would do this, but, put under emotion duress, it's possible many would not. In any case, ring 100 families, you will probably get 10 % send the money. (1 in 10 people) That's still a good payday.

I would say that the payment would involve the use of a credit card - to make the transaction quick.

I will certainly be informing my relatives of this scam. My family worry enough about with me just being over here - a call like this could induce a heart attack and kill one of them.

An ingenious, but very cruel scam.

As more knowledge of this scam gets around, I can also see the day when this scam "evolves" and we start to see variations. I'm single, but many farang have Thai girlfriends, or wifes. Many of which, come from bars, and are well versed in relieving farang from their money. (I mean no offence by this to anyone - it could also be a First Time To Thailand Tourist who has hooked up with a bar girl for the week) They havea falling out, or break up. When they know you are uncontactable, the ex gets on the phone to your relatives, putting on the crocodile tears and saying you have fallen off your bike or fallen down the stairs etc etc and the local hospital needs the money for urgent medical attention. If your relatives have ever met the girl, or spoken to her on the phone, it could all sound quite credible. She then gets the money, either, after you have left her, or she gets the money and walks out the door.

This scam has something for us all to think about.

A way around it would be to leave your relatives several (as many as you can) mate's phone numbers (with their permission) who your relatives can call and who can quickly jump on a bike, at any time of the day, and go to the hospital and check it all out and then report back to your relatives.

The thread is about scams in Phuket & nowhere did the website mention Thailand in relation to the hospital scam. Iceman appears to be talking about something which may or may not happen here.

The warning comes from the General Manager of World Nomads Travel Insurance. It appears as a comment, attached to the story they ran a couple of weeks ago about the tuk-tuk scams in Phuket. People then commented on the story with their own experiences of being scammed, or attempts to scam them.

The tuk-tuk newspaper artical was the subject of another thread on this forum - that's how I came read it. There is a expansive list of scams, sent in by readers, after the article. Most I have heard of, some are elaborate and I have not heard of them before, like this one. Obviously, for an insurance company to make a comment, they must be getting some claims come in.

I have tried to just cut and paste his comment in this posting, but for some reason, just the link to the whole article comes up. The General Manager of World Nomads, Chris Noble, has his comment on Page 3, about half way down. He was thanked by the author, who I assumed, checked out his credentials, because I haven't rang World Nomads to verify he works there.

I am not sure which "website" you are refering to. If it's the World Nomads website - that's not where the warning is placed. It can be found in the below link.

However, you are correct, the words Phuket, and Thailand, do not appear in his warning, but it was posted under the Phuket tuk-tuk scam story which would lead one to believe his warning is Thailand related. In any case, if the scam originated in another country, it will not take long to get around the world.

I just thought I would give the readers of this forum the heads up, because it's a lucrative and cruel scam that is perpertrated upon our families, who are not even in Thailand.

This is the link to the story:

http://blogs.theage.com.au/travel/travelle...uvegottoha.html

Valantine - the world is full of victims who thought, "It won't happen to me." Or, in your case, "It won't happen here." If this thread saves one guy from losing 1 baht - it's done it's job.

Just for the record, I would be really happy if Thailand went back to the way it was when it was given the title, "Land of Smiles." We all know it has changed and you now have to be on your guard. We have all seen the decline in friendliness and tollerance on the island, and Thailand in general, and the increase in collusion, price fixing, theft and violence. I certainly don't want to be scammed, or see anyone else scammed.

I concede, there will always be scams and the criminal element in society, but, if by gaining extra knowledge on these scams you can avoid them, well, that's a good result.

Just for the record, I would be really happy if Thailand went back to the way it was when it was given the title, "Land of Smiles." We all know it has changed and you now have to be on your guard. We have all seen the decline in friendliness and tollerance on the island, and Thailand in general, and the increase in collusion, price fixing, theft and violence. I certainly don't want to be scammed, or see anyone else scammed.

I concede, there will always be scams and the criminal element in society, but, if by gaining extra knowledge on these scams you can avoid them, well, that's a good result.

Don't think your perceptions to be some kind of absolute truth please.

I am divided as in part I think what you say is true.. That in tourist areas there is a decline in friendliness and a rise in 'anything goes' when it comes to making money.. A 'culture of greed' was how it was summed up fairly well one time..

But I dont feel it everywhere in Thailand, and to be fair, the level of development in other places is similar to the level of development I came to, so if I could give up the facilities I didnt have back then, I could get the same smiles I had by then. Its rough with the smooth or cake and eating it depending on your perspective.

Its nice to have 3 cinemas and not have to ride to Phuket town for the limited choice.. Its great to have bakeries, and cold cuts, and italian coffee beans.. Amazing to have fast reliable internet, multiple hospital options, etc etc... Its not great getting treated like a potential mark all the time..

But its essentially our choice to make.. Get the smiles and not the services, or take the services built for the economy of now, and live with the fact that this comes with drawbacks.

• Like 1

I am divided as in part I think what you say is true.. That in tourist areas there is a decline in friendliness and a rise in 'anything goes' when it comes to making money.. A 'culture of greed' was how it was summed up fairly well one time..

But I dont feel it everywhere in Thailand, and to be fair, the level of development in other places is similar to the level of development I came to, so if I could give up the facilities I didnt have back then, I could get the same smiles I had by then. Its rough with the smooth or cake and eating it depending on your perspective.

Its nice to have 3 cinemas and not have to ride to Phuket town for the limited choice.. Its great to have bakeries, and cold cuts, and italian coffee beans.. Amazing to have fast reliable internet, multiple hospital options, etc etc... Its not great getting treated like a potential mark all the time..

But its essentially our choice to make.. Get the smiles and not the services, or take the services built for the economy of now, and live with the fact that this comes with drawbacks.

I agree. I take Thailand for the good, and the bad. I particularly like Patong for the choice of many bars, restaurants and cafes. It has all the comforts of home. Eg. internet, air con, satelite TV etc etc. The services you mention, like cimema and bakeries etc are legitimate, and I frequent them often. They provide a good service. If the coffee beans, or any other product, are fully imported, I'm more than happy to pay the extra transport cost and import duty etc for them.

I started this threat aimed at the blatant criminal enterprises operating on the island. It's not just the tuk-tuks out to rip you off, if you look around, it's everywhere. Like you say, just pure greed.

Walk into any market and ask the price of something, say, a T-Shirt. You get a ridiculous reply of "one thousand baht." As you walk away, they say "seven hundred baht" as you get further away, "four hundred baht" then they say, "ok, ok - mister two hundred fifty baht." Now 250 baht is a fair price, but I will not deal with them now because they tried to rip me off the first time. Just a small example.

Anyway, I continue to dodge what comes my way the best I can, however, you have this constant feeling that "your turn will come" to be stood over, or scammed, and when that day comes, there is nothing you can do but pay, because the police will not be interested in the facts.

There has already been a few posts on here that will help me, and maybe a few others, to continue to dodge the bullets.

I agree. I take Thailand for the good, and the bad. I particularly like Patong for the choice of many bars, restaurants and cafes. It has all the comforts of home. Eg. internet, air con, satelite TV etc etc. The services you mention, like cimema and bakeries etc are legitimate, and I frequent them often. They provide a good service. If the coffee beans, or any other product, are fully imported, I'm more than happy to pay the extra transport cost and import duty etc for them.

I started this threat aimed at the blatant criminal enterprises operating on the island. It's not just the tuk-tuks out to rip you off, if you look around, it's everywhere. Like you say, just pure greed.

Walk into any market and ask the price of something, say, a T-Shirt. You get a ridiculous reply of "one thousand baht." As you walk away, they say "seven hundred baht" as you get further away, "four hundred baht" then they say, "ok, ok - mister two hundred fifty baht." Now 250 baht is a fair price, but I will not deal with them now because they tried to rip me off the first time. Just a small example.

Anyway, I continue to dodge what comes my way the best I can, however, you have this constant feeling that "your turn will come" to be stood over, or scammed, and when that day comes, there is nothing you can do but pay, because the police will not be interested in the facts.

There has already been a few posts on here that will help me, and maybe a few others, to continue to dodge the bullets.

Sorry to tell you this, but you can buy a T-shirt for less than 200 baht (even in Patong) if you're determined enough - and they realise you're going to buy a few.

A friend of mine was looking to buy 10 T-shirts and paid (if I recall correctly - but I'm not far off), 180 baht per T-shirt.

250 baht is not a good price - even for one T-shirt.

Sorry to tell you this, but you can buy a T-shirt for less than 200 baht (even in Patong) if you're determined enough - and they realise you're going to buy a few.

A friend of mine was looking to buy 10 T-shirts and paid (if I recall correctly - but I'm not far off), 180 baht per T-shirt.

250 baht is not a good price - even for one T-shirt.

Patong one T-shirt 150 Bath more than 2 then 130 Bath each.

A reasonable summation. Oh for those halcyon days that only come around once, eh?..heh heh..

I agree that if anyone can pass on tips, they should, and not worry too much about what the concrete slipper squad deem as truisms or alleged perceptions. Their own shock of finding just how many folk know how big a ‘pinch of salt’ is, could be quite traumatic. :)

As for the t-shirts, I advise any young buck heading south to simply stock up in Bangkok where the same tat can be bought for up to 1/5th of the Somchai price on the island. For example, Somchai wants bt250 for a t-shirt there, same item bt99 from Somchai at the MBK in Bangkok. So, up to you farang.

I dont equate bartering in the market quite with rip-offs.. Just try it with a Chinese market stall holder or arguing with an arab over price.. Its just part of the game..

Rip offs are tricks.. A haggle is 2 sides finding a price..

I know what you are saying -sometimes it can also be fun, given the right atmosphere at a market. However, if it's a slightly more expensive item, you now have to shop around, and around, and around and ask a farang what they paid, and then ask a Thai what they paid, and it becomes a real pain just to ensure you don't get ripped off. Even then, you still get ripped off, just for a lower price. :) I hate shopping at the best of times.

In relation to a couple of previous posts. I'm not Cheap Charlie. I'm not the one to raise my blood pressure haggling over 10 baht. The shirt I last bought, was 250 baht. It was a Diesel button front short sleeve colored shirt. I liked the shirt, so I paid 250 baht for it. The guy started at 600 baht.

As mentioned previously, if he said 1000 baht, I would have walked away, to discourage his brazen attempt to rip farang off in the future. I know I probably could of found it cheaper, but, the swimming pool and a beer was waiting for me. :)

This thread is not about the 20 baht here, 40 baht there, which we all pay, knowingly, or otherwise. It's about the major scams, some esculating to threats of violence and the scams that involve organise crime and the police. Also, the ingenious scams that you deceipt, trickery and dishonesty. These are the ones I would like to know more about, so I can try to avoid them.

Edited by NamKangMan

In relation to a couple of previous posts. I'm not Cheap Charlie. I'm not the one to raise my blood pressure haggling over 10 baht. The shirt I last bought, was 250 baht. It was a Diesel button front short sleeve colored shirt. I liked the shirt, so I paid 250 baht for it. The guy started at 600 baht.

As mentioned previously, if he said 1000 baht, I would have walked away, to discourage his brazen attempt to rip farang off in the future. I know I probably could of found it cheaper, but, the swimming pool and a beer was waiting for me. :)

This thread is not about the 20 baht here, 40 baht there, which we all pay, knowingly, or otherwise. It's about the major scams, some esculating to threats of violence and the scams that involve organise crime and the police. Also, the ingenious scams that you deceipt, trickery and dishonesty. These are the ones I would like to know more about, so I can try to avoid them.

Paying 250 baht for a 130 baht T-shirt is a scam.

I believe the poster - my friend was not a resident here and as I don't buy T-shirts, I had no idea whether the 180 baht she paid was a good price.

I did look at a hat though, and the vendor told me "1000 baht". I just laughed and moved on with the vendor chasing me down the street. The same thing happened with a simple cotton top I was looking at.

Have to agree with a previous poster, once they come out with an outrageous amount, I wouldn't buy from them anyway.

Hopefully the stall holder understood - but I doubt it...

OP wanted to discuss scams, and not overcharging tourists or resident farangs.

As someone else has already argued, the high, unreasonable Tuk Tuk prices of 200 baht minimum ride are not a scam -- just profiteering -- since the customer knows in advance what he/she is going to have to pay.

However, the jet ski and rental motorcycle trick of finding damage on a ski or bike (that was there before you rented it) and then demanding repair fees is a scam.

If, late at night, a Tuk Tuk takes you to a place other than your destination and then demands extra money to get you back, then that is extortion -- and a scam since you trusted them to provide an honest service and they didn't.

The Patong iguana trick is not really a scam; it is more of a case of assault if you didn't ask to hold the animal. Same for the "eagle" at the Kata viewpoint.

OP asked for tips to avoid scams. My approach after 1.5 years in Phuket: I only buy from shops where I've developed an acquaintance with the owner. I realize this isn't practical for the occasional tourist, but that is the risk one takes in being a global traveller and first-time visitor.

As someone else has already argued, the high, unreasonable Tuk Tuk prices of 200 baht minimum ride are not a scam -- just profiteering -- since the customer knows in advance what he/she is going to have to pay.

Borderline scam when a cartel uses violence to deny any free market alternatives tho.

Paying 250 baht for a 130 baht T-shirt is a scam.

I believe the poster - my friend was not a resident here and as I don't buy T-shirts, I had no idea whether the 180 baht she paid was a good price.

I did look at a hat though, and the vendor told me "1000 baht". I just laughed and moved on with the vendor chasing me down the street. The same thing happened with a simple cotton top I was looking at.

Have to agree with a previous poster, once they come out with an outrageous amount, I wouldn't buy from them anyway.

Hopefully the stall holder understood - but I doubt it...

I see your point, but, I would call paying too much for an item of clothing, a rip off, not a scam. To me, using this example, a scam would be, trying the shirt on, deciding you don't want it, and then the shop keeper saying you have to buy it now because you have tried it on (which is obviously not true) and when you refuse, all his mates from neighbouring stores come and yell and scream and stand over you. The tourist, feeling their personal safety is under threat, pays and the shop keepers wait for the next victim. That would be a scam, as opposed to taking advantage of an unsuspecting consumer. (this above scam was hypothetical - I have never come across it or heard of it happening)

Believe me, I understand where you are coming from and what you describe is unethical, but, then again, what isn't, in Thailand.

It also might also be a difference in the interpretation of words.

OP wanted to discuss scams, and not overcharging tourists or resident farangs.

However, the jet ski and rental motorcycle trick of finding damage on a ski or bike (that was there before you rented it) and then demanding repair fees is a scam.

If, late at night, a Tuk Tuk takes you to a place other than your destination and then demands extra money to get you back, then that is extortion -- and a scam since you trusted them to provide an honest service and they didn't.

The Patong iguana trick is not really a scam; it is more of a case of assault if you didn't ask to hold the animal. Same for the "eagle" at the Kata viewpoint.

OP asked for tips to avoid scams. My approach after 1.5 years in Phuket: I only buy from shops where I've developed an acquaintance with the owner. I realize this isn't practical for the occasional tourist, but that is the risk one takes in being a global traveller and first-time visitor.

Most reading this forum have experience in Phuket and Thailand, so, we know the tuk-tuks are a 200 baht minimum journey. We know this price is ridiculous, compared to similar transport options elsewhere in Thailand, so we refuse to use them. At that stage, I wouldn't call it a scam, just a rip off. However, the collusion between all of them to set the 200 baht minimum price and the threats and intimidation to keep any competition away, in my view, now makes what they are doing, a scam. Also, the mid journey demand for more money etc is definately a scam.

I also have certain shops that I buy from and support their more ethical approach. However, these are getting harder and harder to find.

i too got done by the airport scam the first time i went, 900 baht for the "limo" haha, always get the bus now for 150baht or get my thai friend to pick me up for free :)

the tutk tuk's are pretty bad where ever you go but. i will never get one again unless its goin to a nightclubs for free :D.......

I met many falang who have been there for years scamming with the tuk tuk drivers. They find a tuk tuk driver and say they will make a deal with them if they go to all these jewelery or tailor shops with them if they can split the money they get from the commission, i wouldnt pesonally do it myself but they were making 2000 baht a day somtimes more.

I do hate the the double pricing tho.. so is that true if u get a driving license or have a work permit u get the thai price???