Comprehensive List Of Scams In Phuket/thailand.

NamKangMan

^And Phuket welcomes yet another cheap charlie. Gawd, fancy haggling over a few hundred baht when you've just got off a flight. Yes, I agree that the limo prices are outrageous, but I dare say this bloke wasn't acting merely on principle. (Surprised he didn't take the mini bus.)

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At Tesco Lotus the other day the bill at checkput was Baht 420. I handed over 520 but did not receive any change. I stood there for a moment, she smiled sweetly & was about to serve the next customer when I mentioned there was something wrong. She immediately said "oh yes, 100Baht but you will have to wait until I ring up the next customer". Always be aware of how much money you hand over & always check your change.

I also see quite a few instances, in various establishments, where money is taken but nothing is registered in the till even though it is opened & the money placed inside. In this case the customer is not being scammed but the owner is.

Had the same happen to me twice at different Carrefours. On both occasions it occured when i'd bought 300 or 400 baht worth of goods and paid with a 1000 note..and on walking away discovering i was 100 baht short in the change.

At first i thought it was an honest mistake as the girls would seemingly blush,nodding wai's and apologising profusley. They'd recount the change id handed back and produced the missing 100 note without question.

Considering the usual practice of counting the 100 baht notes back twice when giving change, i wondered how this could happen and figured it must of been on the very rare occasion when i wasnt watching and counting the notes myself.

It occured to me later that if this was an honest and un-noticed mistake on their part then how very trusting they were of a farangs honesty...it could be very easy for a dishonest person to tuck away a 100 baht note and go back claiming they were short.. :)

Four or five years ago, I got short-changed in that popular minimart in the middle of Bangla. I could tell by the look on the young bloke's face that he knew he was caught out, because his expression became very sheepish immediately I began to check my change (B100 shy from B500 given over for a pack of smokes). (He probably reckoned he could get away with it because I'd had a few sherbs.) I had a (verbal) go at him and he left - took off out the shop. I asked one of the other staff for his name. 'Not know.' You don't know your work mate's name? 'Not know.' Where is the manager? 'Him not come'. His name? 'Not know.' When will he come to the shop?. 'Not know'. Give me his telephone number. 'No hab.'

Sounds like fiction, doesn't it? Clearly, it was a common practice in that shop at that time... Short-change customers who've been on the sauce.

^And Phuket welcomes yet another cheap charlie. Gawd, fancy haggling over a few hundred baht when you've just got off a flight. Yes, I agree that the limo prices are outrageous, but I dare say this bloke wasn't acting merely on principle. (Surprised he didn't take the mini bus.)

I disagree. Firstly, for all we know, he may have just had a short flight from Bangkok. Secondly, if he was a Cheap Charlie, or broke, he would have taken the mini bus. All this guys did was "play the game" to beat the airport limo mafia and pay what is a fair market price for his journey. As it stands, the hotel limos are not allowed to do a "back load" for fear of the mafia. Amagine if they were allowed to do a

pick-up after dropping a hotel guest off at the airport. Everyone would be getting to Patong for around 500 - 600 baht, the way it should be, but what do we have now, airport limos charging a flat 1100 baht and sometimes more and no competition through fear and intimidation. Good on him.

Four or five years ago, I got short-changed in that popular minimart in the middle of Bangla. I could tell by the look on the young bloke's face that he knew he was caught out, because his expression became very sheepish immediately I began to check my change (B100 shy from B500 given over for a pack of smokes). (He probably reckoned he could get away with it because I'd had a few sherbs.) I had a (verbal) go at him and he left - took off out the shop. I asked one of the other staff for his name. 'Not know.' You don't know your work mate's name? 'Not know.' Where is the manager? 'Him not come'. His name? 'Not know.' When will he come to the shop?. 'Not know'. Give me his telephone number. 'No hab.'

Sounds like fiction, doesn't it? Clearly, it was a common practice in that shop at that time... Short-change customers who've been on the sauce.

I go to that minimart on Bangla Road all the time, usually to get a bottle of water on the way home from a night out, so, I'm definately intoxicated, not to the point of messy, but to the point of not really paying too much attention to the change given me. I think it would be fair to say I have been scammed there in the past, without knowing it, given what you say, that it appears to be a "free for all" between the staff as they all cover for each other. From the cases given on this thread, it seems to happen when there is a big note produced to pay for a small item. I think it may be worthwhile carrying a heap of 20 baht and 50 baht notes around for these occassions. I'm usually out of 10 baht coins due to paying for the many toilet runs during the night. :):D I don't know why 50 baht notes are so rare, it's a great denomination for Thailand.

• Like 1

As it stands, the hotel limos are not allowed to do a "back load" for fear of the mafia. Amagine if they were allowed to do a

pick-up after dropping a hotel guest off at the airport. Everyone would be getting to Patong for around 500 - 600 baht, the way it should be, but what do we have now, airport limos charging a flat 1100 baht and sometimes more and no competition through fear and intimidation. Good on him.

The airport limos are the maffia. They don't charge 1100 Baht, but to Patong 650 at the moment. So it really is not that bad, since you mention that 600 is reasonable.

The airport limos are the maffia. They don't charge 1100 Baht, but to Patong 650 at the moment. So it really is not that bad, since you mention that 600 is reasonable.

I always get my guest house driver at 600 baht. Last time I asked for an airport limo quote, just out of curiosity, it ways 1100 baht. That was about 10 months ago. I have no problem paying 650 baht. I think it's reasonable. Any idea why the price has dropped? Could it be that all the hotels and guest houses now have a car and driver at a reasonable rate, or, is it because this years high season is not so "high season" or, is it possible, the word has got around not to use them?

A few years ago, I found out they were ripping me off, so, I started getting the hotel driver pick-up. It would seem that they have lost my business for years now, despite the fact they now have a competitive, and fair price.

As seen on this website recently, Patong tuk-tuks got negative publicity in a national newspaper in Australia. How many Australian tourists will use a Patong tuk-tuk now, after reading the article. The thing is, even if the tuk-tuks clean up their act, the Australian tourist who return to Patong will still not bother to ask for a price from them, so, even though they start charging a fair market price, the business is lost for ever. They all only have themselves to blame.

I always get my guest house driver at 600 baht. Last time I asked for an airport limo quote, just out of curiosity, it ways 1100 baht. That was about 10 months ago. I have no problem paying 650 baht. I think it's reasonable. Any idea why the price has dropped? Could it be that all the hotels and guest houses now have a car and driver at a reasonable rate, or, is it because this years high season is not so "high season" or, is it possible, the word has got around not to use them?

A few years ago, I found out they were ripping me off, so, I started getting the hotel driver pick-up. It would seem that they have lost my business for years now, despite the fact they now have a competitive, and fair price.

As seen on this website recently, Patong tuk-tuks got negative publicity in a national newspaper in Australia. How many Australian tourists will use a Patong tuk-tuk now, after reading the article. The thing is, even if the tuk-tuks clean up their act, the Australian tourist who return to Patong will still not bother to ask for a price from them, so, even though they start charging a fair market price, the business is lost for ever. They all only have themselves to blame.

The price has not dropped. Book at the airport limousine stand and that is what they'll charge you.

If you ask for a quotation online, i don't know from whom, they can ask whatever they feel like. Check with the hotels, some will also charge 1000 Baht up, although i think a more common charge is 800 baht.

Maybe a few Australians will not use a tuktuk, but the majority will simply take one of they think they get a good price.

Ping: “and those who really know and understand how and why things work the way they do” :)

So, Harry Callaghan, what happened on that night then, eh? heh heh, ‘Go ahead, Somchai, make my day.’ :D

Keep your hat on Billie - I was merely retelling an experience. I've been had a couple of times in change from bars, but this was the first for a minimart. Perhaps I should have balanced it by mentioning that about 18 months ago, at the minimart on the NE side of Sainamyen, near Ratuthit, I inadvertently dropped a 500 baht note when having paid for smokes with a 1000. One of the shop girls chased after me in the street waving the note. I gave her a B100 tip for her good deed, which she was extremely loath to accept.

Keep your hat on Billie - I was merely retelling an experience. I've been had a couple of times in change from bars, but this was the first for a minimart. Perhaps I should have balanced it by mentioning that about 18 months ago, at the minimart on the NE side of Sainamyen, near Ratuthit, I inadvertently dropped a 500 baht note when having paid for smokes with a 1000. One of the shop girls chased after me in the street waving the note. I gave her a B100 tip for her good deed, which she was extremely loath to accept.

Quite incredible...Although I think I can explain the first refusal. There have been reports that your choice of after-shave is a wee bit on the strong side, but that notwithstanding, I’m surprised you didn’t follow that lass up...an honest Thai?...we should have her stuffed...is there a vivisectionist in Patong? :)

The price has not dropped. Book at the airport limousine stand and that is what they'll charge you.

If you ask for a quotation online, i don't know from whom, they can ask whatever they feel like. Check with the hotels, some will also charge 1000 Baht up, although i think a more common charge is 800 baht.

Maybe a few Australians will not use a tuktuk, but the majority will simply take one of they think they get a good price.

I got that price from a driver out the front of the airport while my guy was going to bring the car around to the front of the airport. I'll check out the limo stand inside the airport for a quote. 800 baht is 25% more than my guest house driver and around 30% more than a metred taxi, so, still a bit of a rip off.

Quite incredible...Although I think I can explain the first refusal. There have been reports that your choice of after-shave is a wee bit on the strong side, but that notwithstanding, I'm surprised you didn't follow that lass up...an honest Thai?...we should have her stuffed...is there a vivisectionist in Patong? :)

I think the expat community in Patong should all chip in a few baht to go towards making a bronze statue monument of this girl handing back the 500 baht. We could place the monument on Beach Road - directly across the road from the tuk-tuk drivers. :D :D :D :D An attached plaque could read, "This is a memorial to the only honest Thai person in Patong ever discovered." :D All the expats and tourist could gather around the monument for one day of the year and tell stories of the good old days when Thailand WAS The Land of Smiles instead of now The Land of Scams and The Land of Shame. :D :D

Well, after having spent 18 years in Thailand, and having employed hundreds of Thai people in the course of the years, I really do not have the impression Thai people are less honest than westerners.

Edited by keestha

Well, after having spent 18 years in Thailand, and having employed hundreds of Thai people in the course of the years, I really do not have the impression Thai people are less honest than westerners.

Really ??

Honest as in truthful ?? when it matters in a crunch ??

Honest as in honouring a commitment ?? Or contract ??

Honest as in after sales service ??

Honest as in accepting responsibility or blame for a problem ??

My bitter experience is in any deal, if I ever end up paying a penny more stage payment than the job thats already been started, they are never seen again with the phone off.. Ditto for warranty work.. Or contracted commitments that are pre paid.. Etc etc etc.

They have many great attributes, they can be great fun people, sanuk, know how to relax and enjoy life.. But the aspect of honesty and integrity well you just have to take the rough with the smooth IMO. My Thai wife would be the first person to say exactly the same also.

Edited by LivinLOS

I was, of course, joking. That's a bit of dry Aussie humor for you. I was stereo typing Thai people, for a laugh. They certainly take the piss out of the farang. There are good and bad apples in every bunch, but, to employee hundreds, surely you had to sack/fire/dismiss a few???? What were the reasons for their dismissal? Were some dismissed for theft? Statistically, there must have been a few bad apples out of the hundreds you employed. Seriously, just about all farang, expats and tourist alike, are treated with contempt in Patong now. We are just walking, talking ATM's to them now. It's sad.

Really ??

Honest as in truthful ?? when it matters in a crunch ??

Honest as in honouring a commitment ?? Or contract ??

Honest as in after sales service ??

Honest as in accepting responsibility or blame for a problem ??

My bitter experience is in any deal, if I ever end up paying a penny more stage payment than the job thats already been started, they are never seen again with the phone off.. Ditto for warranty work.. Or contracted commitments that are pre paid.. Etc etc etc.

They have many great attributes, they can be great fun people, sanuk, know how to relax and enjoy life.. But the aspect of honesty and integrity well you just have to take the rough with the smooth IMO. My Thai wife would be the first person to say exactly the same also.

Well writen reply. I agree 100%. Could it be, since the Vietnam War, us foreigners have "westernised" the Thais to be more capitalistic than western society. They certainly do like scamming the farang. When sh*t hits the fan in Thailand, it's surprising how very little rights you have.

• Like 1

Well writen reply. I agree 100%. Could it be, since the Vietnam War, us foreigners have "westernised" the Thais to be more capitalistic than western society. They certainly do like scamming the farang. When sh*t hits the fan in Thailand, it's surprising how very little rights you have.

This is a really good social point and while its OT to the thread theres a lot that can be said about how Thai society is (more so than western society at least) at a point of flux.. Only a few generations ago Thailand was basically feudal, as is still evidenced by land titles and the the patronage system.. If you believe social commentary like 'Thailand fever' etc Thai society is held together by nam jai and boon khun.. By merit and generosity.. its easy to imagine how these work very well in a small community of rice farmers, who didnt travel far or have excesses of wealth / differences too much. Anyone who reneged on their social obligations over time was seen in the community.

Those concepts work far less well in a modern urban setting, where more people are involved and social order is defined by wealth more than social standing. in a way our western influences have created a materialism and status obsession perhaps ?? where the end result of wealth is far more important than the route to that wealth.

• Like 1

This is a really good social point and while its OT to the thread theres a lot that can be said about how Thai society is (more so than western society at least) at a point of flux.. Only a few generations ago Thailand was basically feudal, as is still evidenced by land titles and the the patronage system.. If you believe social commentary like 'Thailand fever' etc Thai society is held together by nam jai and boon khun.. By merit and generosity.. its easy to imagine how these work very well in a small community of rice farmers, who didnt travel far or have excesses of wealth / differences too much. Anyone who reneged on their social obligations over time was seen in the community.

Those concepts work far less well in a modern urban setting, where more people are involved and social order is defined by wealth more than social standing. in a way our western influences have created a materialism and status obsession perhaps ?? where the end result of wealth is far more important than the route to that wealth.

I agree.

Where it really hits home for me is seeing my friend's girfriends, defactos and wifes. Without sounding insulting, the girls were working in bars, when they first met. Nothing wrong with that, but, mostly, they were peasant and uneducated farm girls from Issan. That's not to say they can't, or don't, have a good heart, but, their western boyfriends have "westernised" them to a point where they are now worst than the girls they ran away from back in their own country.

The difference is, these Thai girls don't know how to value a dollar as they have never really held proper employment. So they spend their farang's money on expensive jewellery, clothes and cosmetics, but, nothing is ever enough for them now.

Human nature (greed), plus the Thai culture "face" thing and you have now created a monster that, unfortunately, you love. You have just made a rod for your own back.

Problem is, anything less, and you are Cheap Charlie or run the risk of the girl leaving you for a richer man (isn't that the western way). What really gives me the sh*ts though is when my various mate's ladies, speak down to other Thai's because now they are of higher finacial status because they are hooked up with a farang who gives them money. Grrrr, that makes me angry.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Where it really hits home for me is seeing my friend's girfriends, defactos and wifes. Without sounding insulting, the girls were working in bars, when they first met. Nothing wrong with that, but, mostly, they were peasant and uneducated farm girls from Issan. That's not to say they can't, or don't, have a good heart, but, their western boyfriends have "westernised" them to a point where they are now worst than the girls they ran away from back in their own country.

The difference is, these Thai girls don't know how to value a dollar as they have never really held proper employment. So they spend their farang's money on expensive jewellery, clothes and cosmetics, but, nothing is ever enough for them now.

While I get your point, and agree the 'I can look down on you because I now have money' which is a big theme with ex - poor people (isnt it the same with neouvo riche ?? in our own social concepts) I am loathe to paint the BG brush.. Simply as I have seen too many good people in bad situations, had more loans repaid in full from people I was told I would never see again, than otherwise..

However people who have been downtrodden in a society that values money so highly, I guess do have a tendency to have something to prove, a girl I knew before said the ugliest scene she ever was a part of was the girls put on a salary in Patong language school, all playing one-upmanship on each other the 'my BF bought me a fino, my BF bought me a jazz, my BF bought me a house, my BF bought me a few rai up north' if anyone dared to say they werent in it for what they were bought the whole pack ganged up and called them stupid for being with a khee nieow farang. Hard for a young girl to fight that kind of peer pressure.

I guess I just see it as all part of the greater game, theres good people on all sides of these divides but there are different social motivators and in general its us the farangs that miss understand some of those clues.

While I get your point, and agree the 'I can look down on you because I now have money' which is a big theme with ex - poor people (isnt it the same with neouvo riche ?? in our own social concepts) I am loathe to paint the BG brush.. Simply as I have seen too many good people in bad situations, had more loans repaid in full from people I was told I would never see again, than otherwise..

However people who have been downtrodden in a society that values money so highly, I guess do have a tendency to have something to prove, a girl I knew before said the ugliest scene she ever was a part of was the girls put on a salary in Patong language school, all playing one-upmanship on each other the 'my BF bought me a fino, my BF bought me a jazz, my BF bought me a house, my BF bought me a few rai up north' if anyone dared to say they werent in it for what they were bought the whole pack ganged up and called them stupid for being with a khee nieow farang. Hard for a young girl to fight that kind of peer pressure.

I guess I just see it as all part of the greater game, theres good people on all sides of these divides but there are different social motivators and in general its us the farangs that miss understand some of those clues.

I agree.

Western girls are the same. Go to a party with a few singles and it's the same questions straight up, 1) what is your job and 2) where do you live - basically, categorising you by wealth and social status. Same sh*t, different culture.

I know this old English guy. He's been in Thailand for years. When he got to Thailand, he had a big lump sum of money. Over a few years, his girl scammed it all away from him. House, land you name it - all gone. They are still together, but the money has ran out. He survives on a small English pension now. He told me it took ages to explain to her that ALL the money was gone. "There is none left." She just didn't get the concept that his money was finite. She finally gave up on trying to con money out of him and they are now the happiest they have ever been, living of his small pension. No more fights over money, possesions, assets etc etc. Of course, his girl has aged and probably couldn't work in a bar anymore, otherwise, she may have left him and gone back to a bar looking for another victim.

My point is, there seems to be a belief that farang money is limitless. I'm certainly not a rich man, but, I guess, that's why I am happy. As they say, "the more you have, the more you have to worry about and the more you want." It's a vicious cycle. I think we (western society) have passed on this love of material possessions to the Thais. I don't mean running water and electricity - I mean, jewellery, designer brand clothing and fashion accessories etc etc. Is it little wonder Phuket has become a magnet for Thais suffering from "Money number one syndrome" and we are what spread the disease some 50 years ago after the war.

Basically, what we have created has now come back to bite us on the b*m - hence, the reason for starting this thread. Phuket (the Las Vegas of South East Asia) is not laid back anymore. I still love the place, but, you really have to be on your guard for scams, trickery, deceipt, non-violent robbery (pick pockets) corruption, organised crime, theft etc etc etc etc.

I have seen sooooo many first timers cut their trip short because they have been robbed, or scammed, of their holiday funds. Sure, they were inexperienced travelers, but, it's still sad to see.

It's true, the Thai baht, really is the root of all evil. :):D:D:D

• Like 1

I agree.

Western girls are the same. Go to a party with a few singles and it's the same questions straight up, 1) what is your job and 2) where do you live - basically, categorising you by wealth and social status. Same sh*t, different culture.

I know this old English guy. He's been in Thailand for years. When he got to Thailand, he had a big lump sum of money. Over a few years, his girl scammed it all away from him. House, land you name it - all gone. They are still together, but the money has ran out. He survives on a small English pension now. He told me it took ages to explain to her that ALL the money was gone. "There is none left." She just didn't get the concept that his money was finite. She finally gave up on trying to con money out of him and they are now the happiest they have ever been, living of his small pension. No more fights over money, possesions, assets etc etc. Of course, his girl has aged and probably couldn't work in a bar anymore, otherwise, she may have left him and gone back to a bar looking for another victim.

My point is, there seems to be a belief that farang money is limitless. I'm certainly not a rich man, but, I guess, that's why I am happy. As they say, "the more you have, the more you have to worry about and the more you want." It's a vicious cycle. I think we (western society) have passed on this love of material possessions to the Thais. I don't mean running water and electricity - I mean, jewellery, designer brand clothing and fashion accessories etc etc. Is it little wonder Phuket has become a magnet for Thais suffering from "Money number one syndrome" and we are what spread the disease some 50 years ago after the war.

Basically, what we have created has now come back to bite us on the b*m - hence, the reason for starting this thread. Phuket (the Las Vegas of South East Asia) is not laid back anymore. I still love the place, but, you really have to be on your guard for scams, trickery, deceipt, non-violent robbery (pick pockets) corruption, organised crime, theft etc etc etc etc.

I have seen sooooo many first timers cut their trip short because they have been robbed, or scammed, of their holiday funds. Sure, they were inexperienced travelers, but, it's still sad to see.

It's true, the Thai baht, really is the root of all evil. :):D:D:D

Western women (AND MEN) ask you what you do for a living as a conversation point! If you think they have conscious ulterior motives you have a serious chip on your shoulder. If (after a long conversation) a Western woman decides she likes you, she may ask where you live as its far easier to keep in contact with someone who lives locally - its got nothing to do with money!

Of course Western women (and men) categorise people by status and will normally gravitate towards people with a similar background/career/life etc. Are you seriously trying to say this is the same situation with Thai women/Western men here??? :D

Western women (AND MEN) ask you what you do for a living as a conversation point! If you think they have conscious ulterior motives you have a serious chip on your shoulder. If (after a long conversation) a Western woman decides she likes you, she may ask where you live as its far easier to keep in contact with someone who lives locally - its got nothing to do with money!

Of course Western women (and men) categorise people by status and will normally gravitate towards people with a similar background/career/life etc. Are you seriously trying to say this is the same situation with Thai women/Western men here??? :)

Your joking ??

2 identical twins peed dating.. One is a doctor, ferrari, rolex, good suit.. the other is unemployed.. They get the same response ??

Money power and status are factors in attraction.. Could name 10's of examples from Jackie O and Onassis to Billy piper and that annoying ginge fella. Has been since time began.. All part of the genetic imperative to strong gene success.

Your joking ??

2 identical twins peed dating.. One is a doctor, ferrari, rolex, good suit.. the other is unemployed.. They get the same response ??

Money power and status are factors in attraction.. Could name 10's of examples from Jackie O and Onassis to Billy piper and that annoying ginge fella. Has been since time began.. All part of the genetic imperative to strong gene success.

Its not often (in the West) you find someone with a ferrari, rolex, good suit etc. at the same party as an unemployed, broke layabout on the dole. :) Or at least not in the parties I attended.

Of course there are gold-diggers in every society, but its not 'the norm' at home, and both the gold-digger and man who is too stupid to realise it are laughed about (not to mention looked down upon). Its not socially acceptable.

Hence my comment "Western women (and men) categorise people by status and will normally gravitate towards people with a similar background/career/life etc."

Of course there are gold-diggers in every society, but its not 'the norm' at home, and both the gold-digger and man who is too stupid to realise it are laughed about (not to mention looked down upon). Its not socially acceptable.

Tosh !! From ever footballers wife WAG filling the gossip columns.. Its the norm..

How many mothers encourage their daughter to "go find a nice doctor or lawyer"..

No chips on this shoulder. A "conversation point" would be - "what did you do today?" "what are your hobbies?" Next time you are at a party, try a little social experiment. Think of a nice, high paying career, and tell the girls that's what you do for a living. Then, next party, tell the girls you are a labourer. See how well you go. Get real F1. You said yourself, "Western women categorise people by status and will normally gravitate towards people with a similar background/career/life etc." How do you think they (women in general) categorise you? In this day an age, it's by your earning capacity.

It's been going on for years. Why do you think the yuppies have sports cars, porsche, BMW, etc - it's to display their wealth and pull the girls. (they also have their little bag of coke to share - but let's not go there).

As a joke sometimes, I'll walk into a bar and get the usual, "Hello - welcome. Where you from? First time to Thailand?" I will say with a straight face, "America (I'm not really) - this is my first time to Thailand. I have a job at the hostpital in Bangkok. I am a doctor." You just have to laugh as you see their eyes light up with dollar signs. Then, I tell them I'm joking and we all have a laugh. The thing is, western women at a party would show the same interest, given the same bullsh*t. These days, "You are what you earn."

I've been coming to Thailand for sometime - I "play the game." :):D

As for Thai women / western men - where do you think the term Cheap Charlie comes from???? The Thai girls perfer a rich farang than a poorer farang. How many of these girls head back to the bar when their farang boyfriend's money run out?

Anyway, what do I care - everyone is rich and handsome in Thailand. :D :D

Edited by NamKangMan

You all seem to have wandered a long way off the OT of "Comprehensive List Of Scams In Phuket/thailand"

Yes - we have. I'm just reading up on a few cases of the duty free shop Yes - we have. I'm just reading up on a few cases of the duty free shop airport scam. Pretty heavy stuff. Sometimes I go into a shop at the airport and get some fresh batteries for my flight. I'll be going to 7/11 for the batteries before going to the airport from now on. I will not step one foot inside one of those shops, however, it could happen to you anytime, anyway. You could basically be kidnapped off the street by security or police and then left with 2 options - pay up, big time - or go to prison. The chances of it happening are slim, but, it has happened and will probably continue to do so. There is not much you can do to avoid this type of scam.

Fake monks? We get the occasional lone "monk" calling out from the gate & asking for money supposedly to help the temple. I am not sure if this is an authorised procedure for monks to be doing.

Another one is the so called "deaf & dumb" who plonk themselves down at your table while eating in a restaurant & present a card for you to read which basically states their "disability" & asking for a donation. Aside from the fact they are always well dressed & look healthy I find the practice rude & annoying.