Meeting Arriving Friends At Suvarnabhumi Airport

Johnny99

My wife (Thai) tells me that when she recently arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport her family was prevented from meeting her at the International Arrivals entry on the second floor and she was told that she would have to schlep her luggage to the third floor to meet her family or that an airport employee could help her. However, she is too cheap to tip and complained bitterly about new "security measures".

Anyway, I will be arriving on Feb 5 in the morning and my first timer cousin will be arriving on the same day on an evening flight. Can I still count on being able to meet him as he exits customs into the 2nd floor Main Hall? Is the second floor "meeting point" still in existence or will I have to instruct him to meet me on the third floor somewhere?

Thanks and any information appreciated.

Regardless of second or third floor, you still have to carry your luggage from Immigration no matter what

It is not that big a deal to get in the elevator or the escalator to the third floor

If you get your luggage out of the luggage belt and on a trolley or by pulling, certainly you can get up one floor with no problems

The escalators are made for trolleys anyway and there is an elevator right there to the right of the second floor immigration exit

This it the way it was the last time I was there recently

If I go over before the fifth I will let you know

post-91890-1265128599_thumb.jpg

I had no problem meeting my cousin on her first trip to Thailand there about a month ago.

The GF and I stood by the TV's that show all the arriving victims, for about an hour while holding a big sign.....so, that means I was there before them and I had no luggage hanging around.

But after that, from now on I will tell people to meet me at a restaurant…..maybe that would be easier for your cousin as well.

We found a good Japanese restaurant on the 3rd floor. Good food, sake, Thai and Japanese beer, local tv and a screen for departing and arriving flights.

Regardless of second or third floor, you still have to carry your luggage from Immigration no matter what

It is not that big a deal to get in the elevator or the escalator to the third floor

If you get your luggage out of the luggage belt and on a trolley or by pulling, certainly you can get up one floor with no problems

The escalators are made for trolleys anyway and there is an elevator right there to the right of the second floor immigration exit

This it the way it was the last time I was there recently

If I go over before the fifth I will let you know

Thanks for your point of view. We all know that luggage must be carted out of Immigration. However, I doubt if many travelers coming off a 24 hour flight would be pleased to push their luggage all over the airport looking for family members they were expecting to meet upon exiting Immigration.

When you say, "This is the way it was the last time I was there recently", did you mean that meeting arriving friends is no longer allowed on the 2nd floor? Thanks.

Well, the last time I picked someone up (about 1.5 months ago), I was still able to meet her at the "Meeting Point" by Door #3. I don't know if that's recent enough information, though. I hope someone knows for sure!

:)

I arrived on the 26th of January 2010 and was met at that very place by my Thai family. So it was still possible as of 26 January.

:D

Thanks for your point of view. We all know that luggage must be carted out of Immigration. However, I doubt if many travelers coming off a 24 hour flight would be pleased to push their luggage all over the airport looking for family members they were expecting to meet upon exiting Immigration.

even after a 2hr flight, who wants to push their luggage around the airport? but that's the way it is, dont bring any if you feel too lazy to push it around. and you meet people after the customs not the immigration.

the meeting point at Suvarnabhumi is still there, a few meters after exit at the customs.

even after a 2hr flight, who wants to push their luggage around the airport? but that's the way it is, dont bring any if you feel too lazy to push it around. and you meet people after the customs not the immigration.

the meeting point at Suvarnabhumi is still there, a few meters after exit at the customs.

Maybe you should read the thread again as you missed the point completely.

I posted the original question looking for information - not criticism or nit picking corrections. Thanks anyway.

I've been to pick up friends several times just recently. They have changed the system slightly. You cant actually wait close to the immigration / arrival area anymore (you had to know which gate they were coming from). Now no matter which arrival hall you come out of, you are all ushered down a pathway towards exit door #3 - called "meeting point". At this point there are a couple of TV screens showing the different arrival halls and you can watch these to see your friends arrive, then a few mins later they will walk down this pathway. It can get a little crowded depending on time of day.

Just passed the main throng of people where the first TV screens are is a more open area - right in front of the elevator - that is right underneath the "meeting point" sign and there is another set of TV screens.

Its not that bad. But yes, you do have to walk another 5 mins down the length of the airport - or push your trolley. But you can easily find your friends.

i had first timers arrive (first time flying - not just first time to BKK) and they managed to find their way down to me.

I've been to pick up friends several times just recently. They have changed the system slightly. You cant actually wait close to the immigration / arrival area anymore (you had to know which gate they were coming from). Now no matter which arrival hall you come out of, you are all ushered down a pathway towards exit door #3 - called "meeting point". At this point there are a couple of TV screens showing the different arrival halls and you can watch these to see your friends arrive, then a few mins later they will walk down this pathway. It can get a little crowded depending on time of day.

Just passed the main throng of people where the first TV screens are is a more open area - right in front of the elevator - that is right underneath the "meeting point" sign and there is another set of TV screens.

Its not that bad. But yes, you do have to walk another 5 mins down the length of the airport - or push your trolley. But you can easily find your friends.

i had first timers arrive (first time flying - not just first time to BKK) and they managed to find their way down to me.

Thanks for the info.

I had no problem meeting my cousin on her first trip to Thailand there about a month ago.

The GF and I stood by the TV's that show all the arriving victims, for about an hour while holding a big sign.....so, that means I was there before them and I had no luggage hanging around.

But after that, from now on I will tell people to meet me at a restaurant…..maybe that would be easier for your cousin as well.

We found a good Japanese restaurant on the 3rd floor. Good food, sake, Thai and Japanese beer, local tv and a screen for departing and arriving flights.

"Arriving victims" - love it. :):D

Yes! I agree and can confirm that this change and information is exactly correct as of 02/02/10. Regards from PEP

Yes! I agree and can confirm that this change and information is exactly correct as of 02/02/10. Regards from PEP

I concur with the above concurrer who cuncurred with the prior concurrer. Procedure the same. A bit of a walk, but a very utilitarian airport, me likey. I was just there a few weeks back my self.

Each time Ive went to swampy, I have opted for a flat fee to either Pratunam or Khao San for around 500 baht. Would it be cheaper for a metered fare to either of these two places? I have no problem with 500, esp. at around 1:00 am. I would give my right eye for a comfortable bed at that time.

I concur with the above concurrer who cuncurred with the prior concurrer. Procedure the same. A bit of a walk, but a very utilitarian airport, me likey. I was just there a few weeks back my self.

Each time Ive went to swampy, I have opted for a flat fee to either Pratunam or Khao San for around 500 baht. Would it be cheaper for a metered fare to either of these two places? I have no problem with 500, esp. at around 1:00 am. I would give my right eye for a comfortable bed at that time.

Metered taxi is around THB 350 + THB 50 (booking fee); you also have the name & registration no of the driver. Sometimes these cabs are scruffy & ACs not effective. I don't trust the others. Limos are great & about THB 900 to THB 1200, nice comfort, especially after those long flights.