Surfing Or Diving In July

bannork

A friend is coming over in July and her son wants to go surfing in Thailand.

Is there surf to speak of in Phuket and would it be possible to go diving in July, or would the water be too murky with frequent storms?

I'd be grateful for any replies,

bannork.

Yes to both. Surfing at Kata, Nai Harn, Kalim, Kata Noi, while diving is generally on the lee side at Racha.

Also diving at the other divesites continues year round, except for similans.

It is a misunderstandingthere are storms in the rainy season, it is simply wind coming from a different direction. That means the waves will be higher, but with a few days a year nothing spectacular.

Diving goes on all year, tho the visibility and some dive sites / tours close in the low season..

Phuket is very weak surf destination, due to the topography of the andaman sea floor we dont have quality surfing waves, nothing like Indo etc. If your lucky theres waves on the west coast but even when theres swell, its tends to mush out as we have onshore winds at that time of year. I am assuming if he wants to surf he knows how to surf and is a strong swimmer, low season theres lots of rips and west coast waters are not safe for learners or those with not much water confidence.

Diving goes on all year, tho the visibility and some dive sites / tours close in the low season.

Similans is closed, that is the only destination you can not go. All other destinations are open year round.

The season has no influence on the visibility.

Really ?? I always thought the stormy seas of low season churned up particle matter and drastically reduced vis ?? It certainly does for snorkellers and surface dives.

I also thought Burma Banks closed ?? Richalou Rock ?? Almost sure it closes.. Mergui ??

http://www.dive-the-world.com/

The diving season is limited from November to the end of April, the tropical dry season, so it is likely that you will enjoy sunny skies, especially from mid-January to mid-April. Between November and mid-January thermoclines are common and visibility ranges from 15-20 metres, due to the high concentration of plankton that also attract mantas and whale sharks. Around this time the water temperature drops and is normally between 24-28°C.

Following this, conditions improve again to their optimum in February with visibility over 25-30 metres and water temperatures between 27-30°C. Currents can be strong during Full and New Moon.

http://www.dive-the-world.com/diving-sites...helieu-rock.php

Diving Season

Diving in Richelieu Rock is limited to the months from October until early May, when the conditions are usually excellent and all the liveaboards visit regularly.

Diving Season

Whilst the Burma dive season runs from October to May, and the best diving conditions in the Mergui Archipelago exist from December to April, with whale sharks and manta rays visiting from February to May.

Really ?? I always thought the stormy seas of low season churned up particle matter and drastically reduced vis ?? It certainly does for snorkellers and surface dives.
No, it does not. And if you go snorkeling at Racha Yai and Racha Noi, you will see that the best conditions regarding visibility are from May till October.

The first quote from your next post relates to Similans etc., which is closed from May till October.

I also thought Burma Banks closed ?? Richalou Rock ?? Almost sure it closes.. Mergui ??
Yes, Burma Banks and Mergui can not be reached, at least not from Phuket, but they can hardly be called Phuket divesites. Richelieu Rock is generally considered part of the Similans, although technically not correct because it is part of Surin national park, but also closed.

Sorry Los, but you don't know what you're talking about, and coming with quotes out of context is not helping you any.

Edited by stevenl

Just going by what hobby divers and divemaster mates tell me..

From above links on Phuket

Late May to October brings monsoon winds and surface swells to the island, sometimes reducing visibility by about 30%
The liveaboard season runs from early October through to mid May. There are also a limited number of liveaboard safari cruises to the Phi Phi Islands and Similan Islands all the year round, although the unpredictable weather patterns during the months from May to October can lead to cancellations.

Or http://www.phuket.net/things-to-do/watersp...cuba-diving.htm

Visibility is usually best at the start of the dry season, beginning in November, and can be as clear as 40m (130ft). Visibility is variable during the rainy season and is not necessarily influenced by the rain. Sometimes it can be very good, though occasionally storms can stir up silt which clouds the water at some sites.

http://www.divetheworldthailand.com/thaila...nemone-reef.php

Conditions can be adverse, especially in rainy season during the months from May to October, which makes diving Phuket at this site suitable for intermediate level divers only.

Pretty much every link I go to says the same.. your the first diver I have heard of who says that visibility isnt better or more sites are not open during the Oct - May period.

Pretty much every link I go to says the same.. your the first diver I have heard of who says that visibility isnt better or more sites are not open during the Oct - May period.
Because pretty much everybody says what everybody else says. And the websites are copied and copied and copied, and reliable information it offers just sometimes.

Most of the stories about visibility are true for the Similans and Koh Bon: best in November, from there on slowly getting less. Also in the off season visibility here is quite good actually, normally around 15-20 meters. At the moment closed from May till October.

Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock: just like the rest of the divesites: completely unpredictable. Also closed from May till October.

Bida Islands: year round reasonable visibility, but it does vary.

Shark Point and Anemone Reef: normally a bit less than Bida Islands

Koh Doc Mai and King cruiser: less again than Shark Point and Anemone Reef.

At Bida Islands, Shark point area incl. Koh Doc Mai and King Cruiser: visibility is unpredictable, the season has no influence on the visibility there.

Racha Noi: year round good;

Racha Yai: year round good, with best visibility and best diving in the off season when the diving is done at the East Coast of the island.

Visibility tends to be the worst during high season, due to the plankton. The best visibility at the Similans is usually during Low Season, I used to work there on Live aboards, a few years back when we were still allowed to go out. Incredibly clear water during July/August and we were the only boat there.

Visibility for snorkelers gets worse in low season, as the shallow parts have more sediment due to the higher waves. Especially at West coast beaches.

Visibility for snorkelers gets worse in low season, as the shallow parts have more sediment due to the higher waves. Especially at West coast beaches.

Yes, at the beaches definitely. But at Racha Yai, IMO the best snorkelingsite in the area, the snorkeling is much better in low season, when all activities will take place at the sheltered East Coast. And the east Coast is much nicer than the West Coast for diving and snorkeling.

Yes, at the beaches definitely. But at Racha Yai, IMO the best snorkelingsite in the area, the snorkeling is much better in low season, when all activities will take place at the sheltered East Coast. And the east Coast is much nicer than the West Coast for diving and snorkeling.

Agree with you Steven, East Coast Racha Yai is much better for snorkeling and diving, than the west coast.

Yes to both. Surfing at Kata, Nai Harn, Kalim, Kata Noi, while diving is generally on the lee side at Racha.

KAMALA has good surf as well>>

diving;

Shark point, Hin Daeng

hin daeng that time of year from phuket? No chance.

Why are so many people answering questions they really know hardly anything about?

• 2 weeks later...
Diving goes on all year, tho the visibility and some dive sites / tours close in the low season.

Similans is closed, that is the only destination you can not go. All other destinations are open year round.

The season has no influence on the visibility.

Presumably you also mean hin daeng + hin muang? There are a couple of sites there I'd still love to visit  :) - saw a whaleshark there last time, although that was December.

In fact the diving is actually better during the low season at the daytrip sites off Phuket. We tend to see more marine life then due to the less amount of divers and boat surface traffic as during the high season months.

That's a really interesting angle - might just tempt me back to Phuket one more time in a couple of months.

Presumably you also mean hin daeng + hin muang? There are a couple of sites there I'd still love to visit  :) - saw a whaleshark there last time, although that was December.
Hin Daeng and Hin Muang will be open, but from Phuket there will be no daytrips. Liveaboards will be going there in July and August.

pictures and words

here's some pics June-August last year - three from Karon and two from Kata.

Yes there's waves but not so often they're good for surfing, the three from Karon and fairly typical of that beach over the off-season, short choppy breaks and a tremendous undertow, best avoided. The one of the lifeguard with his flag gives you an idea of what the rougher currents do to the beach.

No pics from snorkelling trips I did last year, water clarity not an issue for me, the one to Raya/Racha is one I'd recommend, and Coral just 15min from Chalong is a handy spot too.

Enjoy!

Those are good photos genghis61, and help to inform the discussion of water conditions during the monsoon season.

Have you (or any of the other photo snappers) been able to catch a photo of a rip current situation on Karon?

I realize that these currents cannot always be seen from shore, but the videos on youttube of the rips off some Australian beaches were quite obvious when seen from above.

I am not disputing that rip currents at Karon are the likely culprit behind the many drownings there.

But we haven't ruled out the possibility that Karon attracts more of the unfit swimmers during the low season than the other beaches.

Those are good photos genghis61, and help to inform the discussion of water conditions during the monsoon season.

Have you (or any of the other photo snappers) been able to catch a photo of a rip current situation on Karon?

Just my opinion, but from NZ and Oz where I thought I was rather clever at spotting rips having grown up on the coast and a life of swimming, I find the local conditions quite different, difficult to read, and i am lot more cautious.

That first photo dated 6 June - that weekend I won't forget as three people drowned - 2 at Karon and one at Kata, it was the start of what became one a week for the next few months. No joke on that stats that's what it was - google 'drowning karon' you'll get the picture.

I've seen clear 'rips' at Nai Harn but these other beaches . . . Karon there is often just a bloody strong current along the beach, surging water and gets deep quickly - that's why I took that pic of the lifeguard - at high tide you could dive from the sand and come up likely over your head. Add inexperience, weak swimmer or alcohol.

I competed in the lifeguard carnival at north Patong beach 3 October and similar conditions, to prove a point i counted my strokes in one event, it was taking almost twice as many to get back 'in' than it was to get out to the buoy 200m offshore, and that was with wave assistance.