Buy Iphone In Bangkok Or Usa

TheJoker12

Don't buy it at MBK or in the USA.

Buy it at True in Bangkok. It's factory unlocked, you can pop in any SIM you want and no need to worry about jailbreaking, locking etc. Factory unlocked on ebay is way (way!) more expensive then jailbroken, and there's a reason. In Thailand you get a very good deal on an unlocked phone at True. You get a 1 year warranty too.

Don't bother with MBK, you never know. Best case they offer you a HK unlocked one for the same price as True. You don't need all the crap they want to put on your phone, because there's a zillion free apps that do everything you want.

Edited by nikster

You really doubt anything "thai" eh? hehe. They are iphones, there is nothing THAI about them. Yes they will work no problem everywhere as they are legally and factory unlocked, that means unlocked to use any sim card anywhere. The only time you cannot use an iphone abroad (such as U.S. iphones when they first came out) is because they are locked to a specific carrier, then you need to unlock them which is easy for most people but seems scary to certain others. The prices you listed are for unlocked phones from True right? Those are the ones you want.

i am just surprised that any electronic product can be cheaper in Thailand than the USA because its NEVER the case. most products are marked up 25-100% because of import taxes and smaller demand.

Welcome to the AT&T lock-in scam!

In the USA I don't think you can officially buy the iPhone unlocked at all. Only on ebay, and if it's factory unlocked then it's from the other countries where they're sold unlocked. Officially it comes with an expensive 2 year contract with AT&T. In the end you pay way more than buying it unlocked in Thailand and using it here.

What are the current factory unlocked prices in Australia and HK?

Did not read other replies:

-Will be more expensive in Thailand, probably by a lot if you were going to signup for a service plan in the USA

-Will be easier to enforce the warranty in the USA. Might not be able to enforce it in Thailand at all because the phone will be jailbroken.

-In Thailand you will get a ton of pirated music and app's on the phone for free (basically anything you want and a bunch of stuff you've never heard of) that would otherwise cost you more than the phone itself - if you are a fan of pirated music and software, this is a good thing.

-Thai phone will come jailbroken so you can use it with any sim card from any country in the world - US phone will be specific to one carrier. You can jailbreak it in the USA too, but in Thailand they have professionals who will do it for you.

That's about all of the pro's and con's I can think of. If I had a choice I'd buy it in the USA and bring it here to jailbreak and add music and software but I was lazy and not in the USA so I bought it here. Paid about 25,000 baht for a new 16gb iPhone 3GS (latest version) a couple months ago at MBK - which is the best place to buy it imo - lots of different vendors so you can bargain them against each other for the best price.

You can also buy them at Apple shops - unlocked by Apple. I trust them more than True. I've had mine for a month and received software updates from Apple with no problem. Also downloaded some apps. Brilliant device. I've put two SIM cards in already (1 DTAC and 1 from the UK) and connected no problem. 24,500 +7%vat for a 16GB. Go to http://www.copperwired.co.th/ for shop locations.

-Will be more expensive in Thailand, probably by a lot if you were going to signup for a service plan in the USA

-Will be easier to enforce the warranty in the USA. Might not be able to enforce it in Thailand at all because the phone will be jailbroken.

-In Thailand you will get a ton of pirated music and app's on the phone for free (basically anything you want and a bunch of stuff you've never heard of) that would otherwise cost you more than the phone itself - if you are a fan of pirated music and software, this is a good thing.

-Thai phone will come jailbroken so you can use it with any sim card from any country in the world - US phone will be specific to one carrier. You can jailbreak it in the USA too, but in Thailand they have professionals who will do it for you.

That's about all of the pro's and con's I can think of. If I had a choice I'd buy it in the USA and bring it here to jailbreak and add music and software but I was lazy and not in the USA so I bought it here. Paid about 25,000 baht for a new 16gb iPhone 3GS (latest version) a couple months ago at MBK - which is the best place to buy it imo - lots of different vendors so you can bargain them against each other for the best price.

^^^

I am sorry but this is all wrong. Maybe you should have read the other replies?! :)

Buy in Thailand at True. True is the official Apple partner in Thailand. Your phone will come factory unlocked and with a 1 year warranty. You can use it with any SIM in any country you want. You will never have to deal with jailbreaking, and you will never get locked out of your phone by upgrading the software. It's 24,500 baht + 7% tax for a 16GB.

A friend of mine just shot his ebay iPhone by accidentally installing the 3.1.3 upgrade. iTunes asked him to do so a few times, and eventually he did it. Now he has to wait if and when the jailbreaking community can come up with another hack. It could be tomorrow, he could be without phone for 3 months. There is no way to get back to the old firmware because this update specifically updates the baseband, which can never be "downgraded", and that's where the SIM lock is located.

At MBK or ebay factory unlocked phones are usually much more expensive than jailbroken ones. Here in Thailand you can buy them for a very good price and you get a warranty. The illegal software installed at MBK you don't need - there's literally thousands of free apps to choose from in the app store, some of them excellent. And the paid for software costs $2 or $3 - I believe anyone able to afford a $600 phone can afford that.

As for the USA being cheaper - no, they're not. The carrier will subsidize part of the price for you - in return you sign up for a 2 year contract which costs $50 - $70 per month, and if you add it all up you end up paying more overall. You can get the same in Thailand if you go to one of the credit shops and buy your phone on a loan to be paid back over 2 years...

Edited by nikster

You can also buy them at Apple shops - unlocked by Apple. I trust them more than True. I've had mine for a month and received software updates from Apple with no problem. Also downloaded some apps. Brilliant device. I've put two SIM cards in already (1 DTAC and 1 from the UK) and connected no problem. 24,500 +7%vat for a 16GB. Go to http://www.copperwired.co.th/ for shop locations.

I don't know what you mean by that. There are no official Apple stores in Thailand. True is Apple's official partner for the iPhone and is selling the original as intended by Apple. That's as good as it gets. Everyone else is selling grey imports from HK, Australia, or elsewhere.

BTW I bought my 3GS at True. No problems. Using with AIS SIM, have also used it in Europe with a prepaid sim there. True didn't even try to sell me one of their data plans which was a bit surprising.

Edited by nikster

There are no official Apple stores in Thailand.

What's the Apple Store & Service Center on the 4th floor of the Siam Discovery shopping mall? Just a place for foreigners to get beat up? Wild story here.

Edited by toptuan

No, but there are many officially licensed retailers. There's an Istudio in pretty much every shopping centre I've been to in Bkk.

So, for the OP, either at one of these or from True is your best bet. Factory unlocked, and therefore no problems with software updates later, as with my own jailbroken/unlocked 32Gb 3gs bought in the UK.

As stated already by many, prices (from true website)

16Gb 24500b

32Gb 28500b

plus the VAT

Cheers

Just wanted to jump in and further point out how wrong you were and that yes you should have read the other replies. :) The Iphone is sold legally and officially unlocked and unjailbroken by True. This happened in 2009.

What's the Apple Store & Service Center on the 4th floor of the Siam Discovery shopping mall? Just a place for foreigners to get beat up? Wild story here.

Read the reply from the 'co-owner:'

"BTW, we are not Apple. We are an independent Apple authorised reseller."

Amusing story anyway. Particularly the part where the customer allegedly "refused, pushed the supervisor and physically ATE the receipt and purchase order."

I don't know what you mean by that. There are no official Apple stores in Thailand. True is Apple's official partner for the iPhone and is selling the original as intended by Apple. That's as good as it gets. Everyone else is selling grey imports from HK, Australia, or elsewhere.

BTW I bought my 3GS at True. No problems. Using with AIS SIM, have also used it in Europe with a prepaid sim there. True didn't even try to sell me one of their data plans which was a bit surprising.

Yes, it must be a grey import from HK, that's why it's the same price as True - surely it would cost more as an import. Whatever. I can upgrade the software (have done so already) without a problem. It works just fine. If it was a jailbreak then I couldn't upgrade the software. Sounds factory unlocked to me.

One more thing. It would be good to know if the ones sold by "Authorised Resellers" are indeed legal. I'm sure they are as Apple must be keeping tabs on these resellers. After all, they're not exactly hiding the fact their selling Apple's products, are they? As I said, they must be above board after having received emails from Apple congratulating me on my purchese. I even registered it with them. Any comments?

Wiggy you misunderstand, getting an unlocked import from HK has nothing to do with jailbreaking, you seem to have some bad information. You can buy imported unlocked iphones from other distributors but as far as I know they are breaking the law. True is the only official seller of iphones, no one else is supposed to do it. But this is Thailand.....

Just wanted to jump in and further point out how wrong you were and that yes you should have read the other replies. :) The Iphone is sold legally and officially unlocked and unjailbroken by True. This happened in 2009.

I wasn't aware that you could buy it here legally so yes I would say buying it from True would be far better than buying it at MBK. They I am enjoying not having had paid for all of these app's and music - but probably could have gotten them pretty cheap at MBK regardless of where I bought the phone.

One more thing. It would be good to know if the ones sold by "Authorised Resellers" are indeed legal. I'm sure they are as Apple must be keeping tabs on these resellers. After all, they're not exactly hiding the fact their selling Apple's products, are they? As I said, they must be above board after having received emails from Apple congratulating me on my purchese. I even registered it with them. Any comments?

Sounds like your phone is indeed factory unlocked, which is very good news. Maybe Apple authorized dealers only sell factory unlocked, which would make sense, given that if they sold jailbroken phones Apple would surely come down on them, and maybe remove their license. Jailbreaking is a big no-no in Apple's eyes.

Buying and selling an unlocked phone from another country is not illegal - it's just a grey import. In Apple's eyes, jailbreaking is illegal - however, that's never been established in a court of law, and you could make good arguments as to why it's not illegal. IMO if I buy some hardware I can do whatever I dam_n well please for my personal entertainment. If I want to drive a truck over it, I can. If I want to hack the software - for my own private use - then I can do that, too. I am not a lawyer but it just seems like common sense to me, fair use, and in line with our other laws, which, BTW, were made by the people for the people, not by the corporations for the corporations.

There was a thread about this a while back, but things might have changed. Im pretty sure the thread stated that the "authorised" apple dealers were in fact not allowed to sell iphones, period, as this would interfere with the deal being made with True, however this being Thailand and having no real law they go ahead and import them HK and sell them anyway, this was before the True deal, now I have no idea whats up.