Second Airport On Samui...what's The Status?

i heard recently that the plans for the second airport have been shelved , much to the disappointment of all those who bought land that they hoped to sell for the construction of the airport.

my "source" :o (not a food seller or a bloke down the pub or a falang with a range rover ) tells me that koh phangan is earmarked by the government to be developed as an upmarket island (with none of the mistakes and lack of planning that have blighted samui ) with an airport in the north of the island. they also plan to tightly control and gradually do away with the full moon scene there.

how true all this is is anybody's guess.

Edited by taxexile

New airport as per Bangok post,government bought 200 Rai ,but there is a small prob of a mountain.Samui tourism for 2005/2006 950,000 Bangkok air handle 350,000. Optimistic? Well new Helipad next to big C which is next to Lotus.

Light aircraft directed to ring road betwen ........... hmmmmmmmmm ?

Guess what it will happen when not enough money changing hands ( I didn't say that). :o

• 4 months later...

anyone got any updates on the second airport?

Also anyone know how the current airport extension will effect the amount of flights, destinations? Is it possible to extend the runway further to get bigger planes in from Japan, china etc?

One of the main reasons stated to Thai Airways, was that the current runway could not accomdate anything bigger then a 717 & not to forget the exhobirant landing fees.They also stated that insurance would not cover any larger type of aircraft due to the structural strentgh of the runway.Sounds like a lot of hogwash to me.Also note that a lot of influential people have bought rather large tracts of land in the area to be able to sell back to the government.His first name starts with a T & surname with an S.lmao

Yeah, I've heard the eco-tourism rumors on Koh P too. We'll see. As for the airport on Koh P, last I heard was that could not find viable land for one. Surveyed quite a few areas and none worked out. They should get the Samui guys on it, I mean, what is one little mountain got to do with slowing progress down?

are there regulations stipulating the minimum distance between 2 airports ?

samui is only a smallish island and probably wont be able to comply with minimum distance regulations (if there are any)

looks like any second airport in the area will have to be slapped down on phangan , mountains or no mountains !!!!!

better start learning japanese sbk !!! :o

• 10 months later...
I've been hearing about a 2nd airport on Samui for over 8 years, wont hold my breath :o

Existing airport Runway at Samui is too short for bigger aircraft unless Aircraft weight severley reduced = shorter range.

Also it is not wide enough or strong enough for heavier aircraft. There is a runway (and taxiway)weight bearing limit.

The logical answer is to increase the number of flights or perhaps consider extending operating hours.

A new airport would be an environmental disaster. It would only be worth building if able to cater for wide body aircraft and able to operate long haul. Fuel farms would have to be built plus all the other infrastrucure needed to support the operations.

A complex ATC system would need to be introduced to provide adequate separation from existing Samui airport traffic.

Wide body aircraft would be operating long haul so would need to operate throughout the night as per Bangkok. Noise would be a major issue. A lot of dream locations would have an excellent view of an aluminium overcast on a sea of wheels passing overhead.

Any new location of airport will require adequate terrain clearance to meet existing Aviation obstacle regulations.

A lot of flora and fauna destruction will be necessary.

And finally, what will the benefits be of bringing in 400-500 low cost passengers every couple of hours? They are hardly going to contribute much to the economy. The cost to the island infrastructure water/sewage/waste etc is hardly likely to cope.

Many, many other issues are involved.

In my opinion a new airport is not necessary or desirable.

And finally, what will the benefits be of bringing in 400-500 low cost passengers every couple of hours? They are hardly going to contribute much to the economy. The cost to the island infrastructure water/sewage/waste etc is hardly likely to cope.

lets see .... 200 passengers X 4 times a day X 350 day/year = 280,000 more tourists per year?

If they all stayed in the cheapest hotel on the island (350 THb so far as I could tell) thats another 98 million THB coming into the Island every year - just from the hotel (presuming they all stay in the cheapest possible place) Then you have motorcycle rentals, food, beach toys, beer, etc ...

Really, though, the people that would come in with the new airport wouldn't be "backpackers" - they tend to take the bus which is far cheaper (350 THB to BKK). The biggest bump would be in folks who have some money but are interested in how they spend it - a profile that fits the description of most millionaries in the US. They tend to be more frugal than not - as that is why they have money - they saved it. Anyway, if .001 of those new travellers bought land, that would be ... 280 new property deals/year. There got to be some benefit in that for someone.

The more tourists that come the more ameneties/activities/etc become viable on the island. You make a great point about the infrastructure - thats a LOT of people and, from my understanding, surathani isn't really keen on building up the infrastructure on Koh Samui... this would be the real problem, that the infrastructure is bad, otherwise you end up with no one on the Island because there are too many right now. The extra billion bhat/year from the hotels alone ought to cover a fair amount of the infrastructure expenses, shouldn't it? Assuming one could get them dome to begin with, which again is the real problem.

All those extra tourist would not have a place to stay anyway.

In high season the place is 100% full. If they want more tourist more hotels and resorts have to be build. And i don;t think that is wanted either.

Bangkok air was smart to build an airport. They have a monopoly on the place and that is what bothers the most i think. "Threatening" to build another airport helps in negotiations.

It won't happen as it would have to be within 20 miles of the current airport. 20 miles between airports is the minimum required.

I really wish that it was true! 20Nautical miles may be an ICAO or FAA recommended number; but with adequate Air Traffic facilities it is possible to design safe procedures. Eg The 3 Singapore Airports,

Heathrow and Northolt etc.

Even though I would personally benefit by a new airport in Samui I fervently hope that it won't happen. Surely we can't keep destroying what's left of this island. A new airport will have to be a minimum of 3 times the size of the existing one.

Regarding "low cost" v "high cost" passengers that will depend on the market and it's potential. If I was an American Millionaire I wouldn't be coming here to view land erosion, cloudy sea water and building work everywhere. Look how long the new Bangkok Airport has taken and still not ready.

A new airport will take forever to build.

It won't happen as it would have to be within 20 miles of the current airport. 20 miles between airports is the minimum required.

I really wish that it was true! 20Nautical miles may be an ICAO or FAA recommended number; but with adequate Air Traffic facilities it is possible to design safe procedures. Eg The 3 Singapore Airports,

Heathrow and Northolt etc.

Even though I would personally benefit by a new airport in Samui I fervently hope that it won't happen. Surely we can't keep destroying what's left of this island. A new airport will have to be a minimum of 3 times the size of the existing one.

Regarding "low cost" v "high cost" passengers that will depend on the market and it's potential. If I was an American Millionaire I wouldn't be coming here to view land erosion, cloudy sea water and building work everywhere. Look how long the new Bangkok Airport has taken and still not ready.

A new airport will take forever to build.

I agree. I think a new airport would be a disaster for Samui. The island will thrive as a niche tourist destination with quality hotels, villas and entertainment. There is more than enough potential in the current airport to support continued investment in Samui. Ask any tourist what they remember about Samui and arriving at the quaint airport will normally get a mention.

Existing airport Runway at Samui is too short for bigger aircraft unless Aircraft weight severley reduced = shorter range.

Also it is not wide enough or strong enough for heavier aircraft. There is a runway (and taxiway)weight bearing limit.

The logical answer is to increase the number of flights

:o there's already flight's to and from BKK every 3 seconds.

the current airport is part of the Samui charm.

the current airport is part of the Samui charm.

Agreed. Of the many of airports I've visited, Samui is unique. Quite charming.

Another airport or even expanding the existing one doesn't bode well.

Whilst I have fond memories of the Samui I first visited in the late eighties, I've accepted what Samui is now and still enjoy my visits there, but really, the amount of people already visiting is pushing the limits.

IMHO limiting the number of flights rather than increasing them would the best thing to do.

Oh well.....

Bangkok Airways sees property fund as antidote to rising costs

UMESH PANDEY

Bangkok Airways is planning to set up a property fund for its highly profitable Samui Airport to raise funds for expansion. ''No, we are not undertaking a securitisation, instead we are studying a proposal for a property fund for the airport,'' said a top source at the airline.

The property fund, which would be the first for a local airport, would allow Bangkok Airways to raise as much as 11 billion baht, which it plans to use for future growth.

The fund, which would use Samui Airport as an asset, would probably be launched in mid-August and would be managed by Siam City Asset Management. Capital Nomura Securities would be the lead underwriter for the offering, alongside other brokers to be named later.

Bangkok Airways is awaiting Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) approval for its proposal.

''The company has been undertaking roadshows and meeting investors. We are confident that we will be able to successfully sell the offering,'' said the source, who asked not to be named.

Bangkok Airways, which operates 16 aircraft and three airports in Thailand _ Samui, Trat and Sukhothai _ had previously shelved an initial public offering because of poor equity market conditions coupled with rising fuel costs.

''The reason for this property fund is to raise money to leverage the firm as the industry is heading for strong headwinds from rising fuel costs, the resurgence of the bird flu virus and other issues that may reappear,'' the source said.

The company's aim is to pay off nearly three billion baht in debts and expand its operations.

Samui Airport, the jewel in the company's crown, has handled around 750,000 passengers over the last 12 months.

The total is expected to rise to around 800,000 over the next 12 months.

The airline also plans to use the proceeds from the fund to expand its fleet to serve the robust economies of India and China.

''China is a country that everyone is running to and India is a country that nobody can ignore,'' he said.

''We have already started our preparatory work on expanding our fleet to India, and although you may not see anything happen over the next six months, over the next 12 months you may see us flying there.''

The airline also plans to restart services to the Maldives, which were suspended in 2003 following the Sars (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) outbreak.

Earlier the airline said that it would use part of the proceeds to fund its planned investments in Suvarnabhumi airport. However, Bangkok Airways now says it will only spend another billion baht on a new hangar as part of its long-term investment strategy.

In view of the above, I do not see another airport coming to Samui (or even close by)

and I think thats good !

Second Samui airport likely Samui Express July 2006

By CHATSURIYA ANUPAN

Speculations are rife that Samui will have to build, sooner rather than later, a government-run airport to cope with the continued increase in tourist arrivals. Samui tourists for 2005-2006 have been estimated to hit 950,000, tripling Bangkok’s 350,000. A new airstrip is required to accommodate an expected 6,000 visitors per day during the high season. The island is currently monopolized by a privately-run airport operated by domestic carrier Bangkok Airways. Because of the monopoly, Samui airfare is by far the most expensive compared to other destinations in the country. “There has been an increase in people who are looking to find their second home on the island. Tourism has also been booming despite the flooding in December last year,” said Mr. Seksom Narirat, senior engineer at the Koh Samui Municipality. In 2004, the deputy transport minister said construction of the second airport would depend on the environmental impact study done during that year. The new airport was then estimated to cost between Bt600 million to Bt800 million. Sources have said that if the second airport project won’t push through, the government might have to build one on Koh Phangan. The government is said to be planning to develop the island as an upmarket destination, with none of the mistakes and lack of planning that have blighted Samui. Mr. Seni Phuwasetthawon, president of the Tourist Association of Koh Samui, said the previous transportation minister had batted for the new Samui airport as the existing airport is inadequate to meet the rising demand.

The only airport on Samui, Seni quoted the minister as saying, is too small for large aircraft, one reason why the island can’t have direct international flights. With a new airport, the TAK president said tourist arrival on Samui could increase by 20 percent.

Mr. Seni said there were plans for Thai Airways to fly to Samui using the current airport. Unfortunately, he added, the plan isn’t likely to bring Samui airfare down because the landing fee Bangkok Airways charges each time is between Bt70,000 and Bt80,000.

He added that the schedule for the proposed Thai Airways flights could be early morning and late at night. “Only two flights per day are planned. So I don’t think this would help draw more tourists to the island,” Mr. Seni said.

I still think it is a ruse to force Bangkok air to lower their landing fees so Thai can get in there too.

but, I wouldn't put it past any Thai govt to do such a short-sighted action that would cause tremendous long term damage.

I still think it is a ruse to force Bangkok air to lower their landing fees so Thai can get in there too.

but, I wouldn't put it past any Thai govt to do such a short-sighted action that would cause tremendous long term damage.

Samui fare is joke, i paid 3,900 bhat one way back to bangkok 2 weeks ago, even you buy two ways from bangkok to samui cost you 5,900 bhat, i don't think many thai family afford to go on holiday to samui

From surat is:

bkk-surat airport 1750 bhat

surat airport to surat peir 400 bhat

surat peir to samui peir 100 bhat

samui peir to chaweng 200 bhat

That's 2500 bhat, again same + pita

We can all bitch and moan about the Bangkok Airways fares - but remember without Bangkok Airways there probably would not be an airport at all. They took their own money and invested it in building the whole facility.

Some might wish to argue that Samui would have been better off without an airport. They are entitled to their point of view - but equally why should they deny the Thais the benefit of travel to this island by air - and a lot of Thais do use it.

Also why should they allow other airlines to fly in at special rates and create competition on routes that they have developed?

I agree it is galling that the fares are high - but I would not deny their right to charge what they like - they took the risk and they deserve the rewards.

We can all bitch and moan about the Bangkok Airways fares - but remember without Bangkok Airways there probably would not be an airport at all. They took their own money and invested it in building the whole facility.

Some might wish to argue that Samui would have been better off without an airport. They are entitled to their point of view - but equally why should they deny the Thais the benefit of travel to this island by air - and a lot of Thais do use it.

Also why should they allow other airlines to fly in at special rates and create competition on routes that they have developed?

I agree it is galling that the fares are high - but I would not deny their right to charge what they like - they took the risk and they deserve the rewards.

I think you are shareholder, i hop company collapse and ur shares go south too

A monopoly is never a good thing. In fact in many countries it would be illegal. Nobody expects Bangkok Air to fly for free, but the charges they make must reflect the wider market or it is clearly an abuse of monopoly. They overcharge their customers and they overcharge other airlines to prevent any effective competition. Of course all companies would love to be in this position Jimbo, but I am sure even you are very glad that not many are. Otherwise you would be paying A LOT more for everything.