If My Thai Wife Becomes Australian Citizen Can She Own Land In Thailand

was the case up to 1999, but the law was changed then.

Check out the realestate forum, been written about plenty of times there.

Was there such a law regarding a Thai becoming a citizen of another country that was changed in 1999? IIRC, becoming a citizen of another country (e.g. a male Thai becoming a US citizen) has never been a condition for a Thai not being able to purchase land. There was a law that prevented a Thai female that was married to a foreigner from purchasing land. I know that this law was changed in 1999.

samran, was there such a law restricting a Thai that obtained citizenship in another country from purchasing land?

I have heard some people at our local Thai temple give this as a reason why they haven't tried to get US citizenship. They insist that they've talked to the people at the Thai embassy about this. The employees at the Thai embassy attend our temple (Wat Thai DC) so members can easily ask them questions. I try to convince them otherwise, but they just don't believe me. My wife has both Thai and US citizenship and she bought land after becoming a US citizen. As far as I know, the land department never asks if the buyer is a citizen of another country.