Earthing A Washing Machine

nattydread

There'll be an earth tag on the case of the back of the washer. Bash a nail in the ground and bung a bit of 2.5mm earth cable (green/yellow) from the tag to the nail. Bit rough but it'll save you getting a pisser until you get an earth in the socket.

Done the electrics on the GF parents house. You buy an earth stake (copper) fit it (Hammer it down) into moist soil. Run a 2.5mm single core/stranded cable preferably coloured green direct from the stake to the washmacine earth tag, usually at the rear of the machine

Start here http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/2pin.html

Ungrounded washers are notorious for biting the hand that loads them. Our old one bit the missus several times before I checked the plug, it was a Schuko rammed into a regular outlet hidden behind the machine. Replaced the outlet with the proper type for the plug, shocks went away :)

Ungrounded washers are notorious for biting the hand that loads them. Our old one bit the missus several times before I checked the plug, it was a Schuko rammed into a regular outlet hidden behind the machine. Replaced the outlet with the proper type for the plug, shocks went away :)

thanks crossy, informative webpage

this is work done by Powerbuy...any comments please Crossy.....i am not in Thailand myself at present so i cannot check it first hand..thanks

post-92214-1265688176_thumb.jpg

post-92214-1265688199_thumb.jpg

If you buy a "copper" rod, make sure it is made of copper and not a steel (or wooden) rod painted brown. :)

12mm diameter copperclad steel 1.2meters into the soil is satisfactory (AS/NZ3000).

This will give the minimum contact area required. Instal where exposed to the weather and protect the earth connection with metallic paint. use an approved clamp to the electrode.

this is work done by Powerbuy...any comments please Crossy.....i am not in Thailand myself at present so i cannot check it first hand..thanks

Would comply with Thai Standards but certainly not AS/NZ 3000.

However this will minimise the risk of shocks from leakage currents.

An RCD should be installed on the circuit to protect from earth faults.

(Non Compliance does not mean that an installation is not safe as far as practicable from the effects of electric shock).

If the outlet is grounded and that is a 3-pin TIS166-2549 (2006) http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/TIS166-2549.jpg plug then you don't need the green wire (does it actually go anywhere useful or is it just stuck in a hole?).

That said, the green wire can't do any harm :)

As noted above an RCD would be a useful addition if you don't already have one.

If the outlet is grounded and that is a 3-pin TIS166-2549 (2006) http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/TIS166-2549.jpg plug then you don't need the green wire (does it actually go anywhere useful or is it just stuck in a hole?).

That said, the green wire can't do any harm :)

As noted above an RCD would be a useful addition if you don't already have one.

i am told it is a brass rod (maybe copper.they are both shiny LOL) and is 50cm long

heres a close up of the breaker box..............my concern is whether there is earth wire in the 3 pin wall unit going back to the consumer unit?

as its only 2 pin electrics would there be an earth in the consumer unit for the wire to be attached to?

post-92214-1265745786_thumb.jpg

The job done by PowerBuy's 'electricians' shows a worrying (but not surprising) misunderstanding of how things should be done.

They've installed a 3 pin outlet onto a 2 pin system likely without a ground wire running anywhere and then they've grounded the washer metalwork.

What they should have done is run the ground rod from their nice new outlet, then anything plugged in there would be grounded.

If this installation does not already have an RCD / Safe-T-Cut one should be fitted forthwith as with no ground on the rest of the system there is a serious danger of shock!

The job done by PowerBuy's 'electricians' shows a worrying (but not surprising) misunderstanding of how things should be done.

They've installed a 3 pin outlet onto a 2 pin system likely without a ground wire running anywhere and then they've grounded the washer metalwork.

What they should have done is run the ground rod from their nice new outlet, then anything plugged in there would be grounded.

If this installation does not already have an RCD / Safe-T-Cut one should be fitted forthwith as with no ground on the rest of the system there is a serious danger of shock!

thanks so much for your help Crossy..........and to all othe posters

I've got a washer in an upstairs toilet (wet floors) area that's grounded with a small diameter green cable to a copper ground rod outside and an RCBO/Safe-T-Cut built into the consumer box...how does this arrangement compare with a RCD device?

Both will provide protection from electric shock.

An RCD provides only earth-leakage protection, an RCBO also provides overload protection (like an MCB).

I've got a washer in an upstairs toilet (wet floors) area that's grounded with a small diameter green cable to a copper ground rod outside and an RCBO/Safe-T-Cut built into the consumer box...how does this arrangement compare with a RCD device?

Both will provide protection from electric shock.

An RCD provides only earth-leakage protection, an RCBO also provides overload protection (like an MCB).

can crossy or anybody else give me an opinion of this fuse box please....is the bottom box an RCD ?.......and is this sutiable protection or should i also buy a RCD adaptor in pic and plug the washing machine into that,,,,,,,,thanks again

post-92214-1265905808_thumb.jpg

post-92214-1265905842_thumb.jpg

Natty, is that the only 'fuse box' in the house?? If so, be afraid, be very afraid!

The thingy with the buttons is a starter, likely with overload protection (it should have a rating in Amps on it), it does NOT provide RCD functionality.

If I were you I'd get a whole house RCD installed, local sparks understand Safe-T-Cut as a local brand and know (mostly) how to install them.

Natty, is that the only 'fuse box' in the house?? If so, be afraid, be very afraid!

The thingy with the buttons is a starter, likely with overload protection (it should have a rating in Amps on it), it does NOT provide RCD functionality.

If I were you I'd get a whole house RCD installed, local sparks understand Safe-T-Cut as a local brand and know (mostly) how to install them.

thanks again Crossy...........i have told her to buy the RCD adaptor..ground rod...earth wire so at least they will be protected from electric shock from the washing machine......thats as far as it goes for me LOL

thanks again Crossy...........i have told her to buy the RCD adaptor..ground rod...earth wire so at least they will be protected from electric shock from the washing machine......thats as far as it goes for me LOL

she cant locate an RCD adaptor that plugs into the socket......at Homepro they have this ELCB unit which i think is probably a better idea anyway..she tells me its an........Earth leakage circuit breaker sensitive current 15 ma court 30 a 200-240 v

would this be suitable and is the circuit diagram i have drawn the correct way for Somachai to wire it in...........thanks again Crossy

post-92214-1266384139_thumb.jpg

Wiring_Diagram.bmp

I have never seen outlet type models in Thailand. Normally they sell for whole house. The type you show seems to be a smaller model to protect single circuits and I suspect is two wire only (ground is not required for RCD to trip). If that is the case direct ground of washer would likely be the best option as easy to see and known to most electricians (even upcountry).

Natty - in post 25 we see that you have a special kind of a circuit breaker. It has a ground fault interrupt built in. I like those - that plus your grounded chassis should be fine for a while. Just confirm the 2 pin socket is in a sheltered place which CAN NOT see rain - cuz it's mounted (possibly) unecessarily low.

I can post some pictures of some little goodys I installed lately for hot water heater.

Natty - in post 25 we see that you have a special kind of a circuit breaker. It has a ground fault interrupt built in. I like those - that plus your grounded chassis should be fine for a while. Just confirm the 2 pin socket is in a sheltered place which CAN NOT see rain - cuz it's mounted (possibly) unecessarily low.

I can post some pictures of some little goodys I installed lately for hot water heater.

she has now used the ELCB /GRCI from homepro and a 2.4m ground rod and clamp ....i gave her this wiring diagram now so i think its now sorted..........thanks to everyone who took the time to post :)

wiring_pic.bmp