No More Free Thai Tourist Visas From March 5, 2010

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet there are some hotels/guest houses/bars/tuk-tuk drivers/taxi drivers/restaurants/cafes etc etc in Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore that are very happy with Thai Immigration. It's not about the 1000 baht to the Thai Embassy next door, it's about the lost revenue in accommodation, food, alcohol and transport as hundreds, if not thousands, of farang leave Thailand for 48 hours to get a new visa every 90 days. A real loss of revenue for Thailand. These farang are even bringing back cheap duty free alcohol and cigarettes, which otherwise would have been bought in Thailand. Some of these expats are now reporting how cheap the neighbouring countries are and you get service with a smile, not scammed with a smile. It appears Thai Immigration are good advertising and business for neighbouring countries. Just makes no sense.

Whether the visa is free of not, people will still need go to Laos for their visa. So this does not change anything really.

They could install some system where you could just get a new visa within Thailand for example but that won't be happening. There are so many strange things with visas here that you can only accept it otherwise it gets frustrating.

People with multiple entry non Visa B and workpermit having to take a day off work so that they can leave the country every 90 days. What sense does that make? My wife got a permanent resident visa for my home country right after we got married and she is entitled to the same benefits as I have (healthcare, education, government pension, land ownership etc.) yet what am I entitled to here in Thailand, the home country of my wife? But heck... that is a totally different topic all together.. sorry to have gone off topic a bit.

Well I am already sour on Thai Immigration.

No courtesy no replies.

Highly unlikely I will come back to Thailand before this and now even harder to change my mind.

In this day of Air Asia etc. It is so easy to book one way at a time for each sector and then make up your mind when and where you want to leave from.

Or in my case sometimes by train and you have to go to train staion to book first class sleeper.

As for the cash, normally use credit cards and also withdraw cash for ATM.

So really truly, no lie, Thailand bye bye,

Edit: large font resized - mario2008

Well done Thailand, you keep doing more to reduce tourism. Very bright!!!

Are there tourists coming for more than one month to Thailand?

And the visa is still free for less than one month :)

You are absolutely right. There are a few but it is a very small percentage on the overall number of "regular" tourists and travelers visiting Thailand. Just look at the statistics of the TAT for the average length of stay.

Edited by Jimbo

I dont see what all the fuss is about like i said it was reported here when they made the visa's free that it would only be to March this year. I feel like I'm the only person who read it last year.Plus really who did it help Iam damm sure the whole world didn't know visa's to Thailand where free there would of been no tv adds prime time in every country in the world.The only time you would of known is when you went to pay for one and got a pleasant surprise there free.So now back to payinglike I say what's the fuss I'll still come.

what a shame.

the tourist minister should not be promissing something publicly, before the cabinet is informed and the issue discussed.

some people from all over the world were counting on his promise

'Thailand holds bilateral agreements on visa exemption for holders of passports from Brazil, South Korea and Peru, and these passport holders are given a 90 days stay.'

What the heck’s that? Brazil, S. Korea and Peru. These passport holders are more considered being rich tourists, which allows them to stayfor 90 days with 10 Pesos, or forever. Sounds more bisexual than bilateral. Is there anybody in this forum who knows why Bolivian flake producers are allowed to stay longer than Europeans, or Americans????

Isn’t that a kind of ridiculous?

post-39518-1265289123_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sisaketmike

I don't mind a small fee for a 60 day deal but you HAVE to have a onward ticket???

You would have to leave to get another Visa anyway + flights like Air Asia if you book early you get a cheap seat.

So no problem buy another ticket before you go.... Just looked Air Asia Bangkok to Malaysia in 90 days is 2,090 baht return.. If you booked nearer the date you would be paying well over double that.

Edit: If you went to Immigration to get an extension you would have to pay 1,900 for 30 ? extra days, for the air fare you may as well for a few 100 baht more get 90days... well that is how I would look at it.

but the visa is only valid 60 days (actually 59 since they count first and last day), so you would need to book a flight in 59d to get another 59d visa or you dont use the flight to get a 29d extension for 1900 THB, even more uncomfortable to go by plane, if you live close to a landborder, where you would first have to travel inland to then take the flight out, while alternatively you could have just taken the bus across the border (or the immigration office for the extension).

discussion is mute though, i cannot remember ever being asked to show an onward or return ticket or money and I cannot remember that i ever noticed someone, who was required by the immigration officer or embassy staff to produce either.

cannot wait to turn 50a.

onoz not a visa fee!!! better change your travel plans ASAP!

I was thinking the same thing. It's shacks without fans to make up for extra cost of the visa. :)

Exactly, do you guys who support a free visa think that because the Visa fee is waived that people will change there holiday travel plans. If you do then , WAKE UP !!!

I think that since the Visa Fee was waived there have been 0 actual tourists who decided to come to thailand because they could save on the Visa Fee.

Why the hel_l would anyone change there holiday plans and revert to thailand just because the Visa fee was waived. I THINK NOT !! and if you think they did then you are badly misguided.

JMHO.

:D

1. You need to take a plane to come to Thailand, most of the tourists anyway, and the cost of the visa is nothing compared to the cost of the plane ticket

2. You need to stay in hotels, and the cost of the visa is nothing compared to the cost of the hotel

3. You need to eat and party in Thailand, and the cost of the visa is nothing compared to the cost of partying

And anyway you will come for less than 30 days because 2 and 3 would be too much if you come longer.

And hence, the visa will be free.

So, why should you care about this visa fee? :)

Do you really think it will make a big difference. Most tourists and travelers will get a free visa on arrival anyway. Even if they are from a country which requires them to have a visa I doubt very much that whether or not the visa will be free or not will make much difference in regards to their travel plans.

I agree with you entirely.

:)

Me too. I always saw it as a bad decision. No one made a long stay decision based upon the visa charge anyway. It was a lost revenue opportunity. The type of person that would be swayed by the inconsequential fee shouldn't be undertaking such a visit, so the reintroduction of the visa fees may actually be doing some people a social service if it discourages them from coming. The social costs of the marginal visitors are rarely considered. Thing about it for a minute: The carbon footprint they leave in getting to thailand, the local pollution they produce and the overall nuisance they can cause is not offset by the cheap room rented or the 40 baht street vendor meals they consume. Who do you think are the people that end up doing desperate things after they run out of money or run up big medical bills because they didn't buy health insurance? I'm not talking about the thrifty visitors, but the ones without a pot to piss in.

Well well - Contrary to any other countries visa on entry policy of usually the US and England get the longest stay

duration for visa on entry - contrary to this, Brazil and specifically Peru get 90 day visa on arrival.

Who would the immigration be entertaining and what line of work do you suppose they would

be in to receive the special (only 3 countries) 90 day visa on entry?

I mean - what is Peru known for? What do they export? What do they specialize

in?...

Great - so let's let our homies from there in for 90 days but all the rest of you all

only get 30. And NOW 15 at the border.

Who ever kicks out the pager guy from the party?

No no, stay all night. Here, make yourself right at home.

Is it my turn to go in the bathroom yet?

Hmmmmmmmm????

Well well - Contrary to any other countries visa on entry policy of usually the US and England get the longest stay

duration for visa on entry - contrary to this, Brazil and specifically Peru get 90 day visa on arrival.

Who would the immigration be entertaining and what line of work do you suppose they would

in?...

Great - so let's let our homies from there in for 90 days but all the rest of you all

Hmmmmmmmm????

Ho ho - I made a funny. I didn't even mean to - What "line" of work Ho ho - ha ha

in?...

Hmmmmmmmm????

One would assume Thai citizens get 90 days free in those countries..hence the reciprocal agreement in Thailand, so why dont you petion your own country to give Thai citizens 90 days free and you might get it here... :)

Does this mean if i get a 60 day tourist visa on March 3rd i can use it at the end of March when i should be arriving?

Unlikely

If that minimal about of money bothers u, go home get a job. Is this country full of people who dont have a dime to their name?

Sorry for asking but if i can save 40 pounds by getting my visa a week or 2 earlier then its a little victory, besides i dont want to go back to England so im in the Middle East working earning pocketfulls of money so i can be a 60 day millionaire and make people like you even angrier that im putting up the prices of everything by throwing it about, besides i bet im considerably richer and younger then you!

Well I am already sour on Thai Immigration.

No courtesy no replies.

Highly unlikely I will come back to Thailand before this and now even harder to change my mind.

In this day of Air Asia etc. It is so easy to book one way at a time for each sector and then make up your mind when and where you want to leave from.

Or in my case sometimes by train and you have to go to train staion to book first class sleeper.

As for the cash, normally use credit cards and also withdraw cash for ATM.

So really truly, no lie, Thailand bye bye,

Really truly, no lie, Thailand will miss you.

Maybe a dumb question, but I'm going to ask. I am a US citizen, going to be in LOS middle of March, only need the regular 30 day stamp (staying 2 nights to see mom and dad). Is there going to be a fee on the "in and out" visa?

No :)

great! that's good. I didn't think so, but when people need money *cough*(airlines) they start charging for everything they can think of.

so good news, really.

i think now all things will return to normal........... finish red stamps in laos, finish all problems about this.

Why do you think that just because tourist visas will no longer be free that the red stamps on back-to-back entries will cease? Where is the information for this?

We just decided to go to Cambodia anyway. No ploblum!

But Laos is still an option. Can you clarify this - please?

Vientiane may become more tourist visa friendly after March 5.
Edited by ding

what a shame.

the tourist minister should not be promissing something publicly, before the cabinet is informed and the issue discussed.

some people from all over the world were counting on his promise

They can never keep their promise! By the way what is the difference between a Belgium citizen and one from Peru? Why we get 60 days they get 90? Maybe they look more yellow then us, the racists!