No More Free Thai Tourist Visas From March 5, 2010

Pardon my ignorance, what is a VFW meeting?

Maybe I will try those monthly VFW meetings..

veterans of foreign wars club

usually an older guy's club but not sure about nowadays since there's some very young wars that went/are going on... i'd guess still more an older guy hangout though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_of_Foreign_Wars

Edited by mobiryder

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean if i get a 60 day tourist visa on March 3rd i can use it at the end of March when i should be arriving?

sure, as usual:

4. VALIDITY OF A VISA

The validity of a [tourist] visa is three months or six months. That means that you must utilize your visa within 90 or 180 days (dependent on number of entries) .

(copied from somewhere inside thaivisa.com)

As I said before it was said Thai Visa .com last year the free visa's where only going to be avialable till this March.Pity I'm coming back the end of march early April Damm always a bridesmaid never a bride.

If you get your visa before the deadline March 5, you can still use it for up to 90 days from the date of issue.

That way you don't have to pay for it.

I have read about this topic now and before but how hard i try i really can´t see that this could be a problem!? I use to go to Thailand at least one time every year and i stay for 1-3 months. As i am from Sweden i can stay 30 days free of charge and if i need a 60 day visa i have to pay about 20 euro.

The first night out and many more nights after that i spend at least 100 euro without any efford or regrets. So if i have to pay 20 euro again to get a visa i would do that with a smile on my face knowing that i soon will return to The Land of Smiles.

The fee was never an issue before this campain from the thai goverment, so why would it be a problem now?

If you have a problem with the fee i suggest that you start to look for an other destination and then the problem should be solved? :)

Russia is in bilateral agreement and Russians receive 30 days on arrival free of charge. Does it gonna change or is it mistake in the article?

Could be, I'll check with MFA tomorrow and revert back to you.

MFA website says russian citizens have 15 days on visa on arrival.

I'm not used to this much logic when in Thailand, so thanks for doing the right things at the right times. After all, it's the thought that counts.

my sentiments entirely, all good things have to come to an end,

just have to pay for a visa next time.

The crazy fluctuations in airfares is a more important variable factor.

Russia is in bilateral agreement and Russians receive 30 days on arrival free of charge. Does it gonna change or is it mistake in the article?

Could be, I'll check with MFA tomorrow and revert back to you.

MFA website says russian citizens have 15 days on visa on arrival.

do not worry. 30 days without visa. there is another list which contents 5 countries including Russia. That is why I stopped visiting Spain - too many problems with EU visa

The fee was never an issue before this campain from the thai goverment, so why would it be a problem now?

It is a problem, because whenever something like this (ie perfectly rational and understandable) happens, as surely as the sun comes up in the morning, Thai Visa unfortunately becomes the hub of whiners and whingers. :)

what a shame.

the tourist minister should not be promissing something publicly, before the cabinet is informed and the issue discussed.

some people from all over the world were counting on his promise

Considering the promises made by politicians or cabinet in Thailand are pretty much the same in all countries; we all know what those 3 promises are. 1. Your checks in the mail. 2. I'll call you. 3. _

_ _ _ _ etc, etc, etc. :)

I'm not used to this much logic when in Thailand, so thanks for doing the right things at the right times. After all, it's the thought that counts.

my sentiments entirely, all good things have to come to an end,

just have to pay for a visa next time.

The crazy fluctuations in airfares is a more important variable factor.

That puts things into the right context so well.

I don't mind a small fee for a 60 day deal but you HAVE to have a onward ticket??? thats kinda stupid, maybe you don't know where you want to go after Thailand, or when exactly or you want to wait for a better fair.

Free visas for 2010; Domestic tourism expected to grow up in 2010

BANGKOK, 15 January 2010 (NNT) – Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa has expressed his confidence in a 10% growth of Thailand's domestic tourism in 2010. The ministry has set a goal to attract tourists from the East Asia.

Mr Chumpol on Thursday reported that the number of tourists last year exceeded the target of 14 million people, thanks to good cooperation from the private sector. The minister added that the government's measures to assist tourism entrepreneurs affected by political turmoil would be continued this year, including admission fee reduction, free landing and parking fees, and free visas.

I think someone's wishing they kept their mouth shut.

Tourist visa are still free till March 5. As long as you apply for one before that date it should be free. It is not the date before which you have to enter Thailand.

A single entry tourist visa is normal valid for 90 days from the day of issue, meaning you will have to enter Thailand within 90 days. So if you have a trip planned, within 90 days from march 5 you can still use a free tourist visa. Just don't apply to early but before March 5.

Russia has indeed a bilateral agreement with Thailand and you get 30 days on entry. It seems the list from the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs hasn't been updated to that fact. Their website also never reflected the change.

I don't mind a small fee for a 60 day deal but you HAVE to have a onward ticket??? thats kinda stupid, maybe you don't know where you want to go after Thailand, or when exactly or you want to wait for a better fair.

Oficially you don't need an onward ticket if you have a visa, such as a tourist visa. Only when you don't have a visa or will apply for a visa on arrival do you need a ticket out of the country within 30 days or 15 days for visa on arrival.

However, some embassies and consulates want proof of onward travel before they will issue a tourist visa or even a single non-immigrant and want you to show a confirmed ticket. Most consulates don't require this.

Give everyone 90 days on arrival....Close the consulates and save money..If travellers are bad buggers then the check on the passport should be enough. Beats me why they think everyone is poor and can't afford to stay here..i know thats a simple answer but it makes more sence than putting people off coming here because they have to waste time going to get a visa.About time this place got tourist friendly...

Do you really think it will make a big difference. Most tourists and travelers will get a free visa on arrival anyway. Even if they are from a country which requires them to have a visa I doubt very much that whether or not the visa will be free or not will make much difference in regards to their travel plans.

I agree with you entirely.

:)

Ditto

But maybe for some people THB 1,000 is a huge amount of money?!?

so good news, really.

i think now all things will return to normal........... finish red stamps in laos, finish all problems about this.

we want to stay and we cam pay for visa, what is 30 euros, for staying in thailand 2 months, nothing....... regardless at the problems all consulate and borders have make to us since 1 year.

so really thank uuuuuuuuuuuu, thats the great news i have hear today

enjoy thailand

Do you really think it will make a big difference. Most tourists and travelers will get a free visa on arrival anyway. Even if they are from a country which requires them to have a visa I doubt very much that whether or not the visa will be free or not will make much difference in regards to their travel plans.

Ditto

i agree with u, M.... its look like for some people 1000 baths is too much............

but spending the same amount in 1 evening drinkng beer, no problems, ahhahahahha

Ditto

I bet there are some hotels/guest houses/bars/tuk-tuk drivers/taxi drivers/restaurants/cafes etc etc in Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore that are very happy with Thai Immigration. It's not about the 1000 baht to the Thai Embassy next door, it's about the lost revenue in accommodation, food, alcohol and transport as hundreds, if not thousands, of farang leave Thailand for 48 hours to get a new visa every 90 days. A real loss of revenue for Thailand. These farang are even bringing back cheap duty free alcohol and cigarettes, which otherwise would have been bought in Thailand. Some of these expats are now reporting how cheap the neighbouring countries are and you get service with a smile, not scammed with a smile. It appears Thai Immigration are good advertising and business for neighbouring countries. Just makes no sense.

Edited by NamKangMan

there's a great way to encourage tourism.

you think that - really?? How many tourists come for more than 30 days - those planning longer trips than that will be used to having to pay for visas (except last year) which are not all that expensive anyway. For rich tourists their travel agents will fix all that for them - and charge at least double the fees - for those more sensible with their money the main problem is the inconvenience of having to send the passport away well in advance of the trip. I cant seriously imagine that anyone planning a two month trip costing at the very least a couple of thousand pounds for flights and accommodation is going to be bothered about paying £30 or so for a visa.

I just wish they would make the PROCESS easier and quicker, that is what causes the frustration (British Government please note as well - there is no reason why any visa application should take more than 3 or 4 days) - Thai visa authorities would do better using the fees to pay someone to answer the phones in London and other cities - the most annoying authorities in the world are the ones that try to keep customers at arm's length by having "certain times" when they "may" answer - with VOIP the staff could even be based in Thailand.

I wish the British, American, Thai (and all the others) would treat their visa operation as a business and view applicants as clients rather than acting like pseudo police.

I dont think even backpackers will be worried as most of them are visiting other countries in the same trip - one of my friends had to obtain 4 different visas for his trip but it didnt deter him - storm about nothing in my view.

I don't think amount of 1.900B is some problem to pay. (If not more, this time)

Free Visas was just an advertizing. New establishment needed to show democratic face. That move was limited from the beginning. It was clear. It was just facade.

Still, the reasons people are going to Thailand, will be the same. That much money we are spending in parlors for one “massage” treatment. No big deal.

The problem about visiting or staying in Thailand is somewhere else and that will never change. To pay for visa is not some problem, at all.

We know and Thais know very well what makes Thailand interesting to come so, who care about paying Visa or not?

Pardon my ignorance, what is a VFW meeting?

Maybe I will try those monthly VFW meetings..

"Veterans of Foreign Wars", bro'! Many, many of us early-retired "here til we die" types are Viet Nam vets from America. VFW is an organization that can help you with your governmental or even some individual issues or problems. It's like a club of people with some "like experiences". It would be where you would only see other fallung.

I don't mind a small fee for a 60 day deal but you HAVE to have a onward ticket???

You would have to leave to get another Visa anyway + flights like Air Asia if you book early you get a cheap seat.

So no problem buy another ticket before you go.... Just looked Air Asia Bangkok to Malaysia in 90 days is 2,090 baht return.. If you booked nearer the date you would be paying well over double that.

Edit: If you went to Immigration to get an extension you would have to pay 1,900 for 30 ? extra days, for the air fare you may as well for a few 100 baht more get 90days... well that is how I would look at it.

Edited by ignis