Is This Appropriate?

Luang

I think that asking too personal questions is wrong. An interview should be restricted to things directly related to job performance...with a slightly broad perspective on that.

Some have asked why in America the government needs to be involved. If you don't know the answer to that, then you don't know American history.

I think where it's gone too far in America (for example; not sure about other western nations) because of the fear an interviewer has to have about mistakenly asking a question that is inappropriate. As a school principal in the west, over 20 years I certainly interviewed over 2,000 people for jobs from assistant principal to teacher to counselor to custodian. I tried to keep most of my interviews "conversational", and there were a few times I thought I had accidentally crossed over the line on a topic. Panic!

after finishing uni, my job applications involved filling out the companies' application forms

the forms had questions about things like age, DOB and also your religion.

never figured out what that had to do with anything (yes one may argue there are some religious organisations, but Im talking about supposedly secular businesses....why would anyone's religion affect their job performance?) :)

anyhow, I didnt like answering a lot of those details

so now I create my own resume for my job applications. I include details that I think are relevant to the job. no mention of age, gender, height body size or photos or religion :D

if they ask me at interview? I answer all performance/skill/capability/aptitude related questions.

anything that is personal? I decide what Im comfortable answering.

and this has nothing to do with what is or isnt deemed as PC. simply what Im not comfortable with, I wouldnt answer. simple as that. if I dont get the job, no big loss. Id rather have a job that I can be comfortable and be myself, than feel any kind of intrusion or pressure.

just my opinion :D

Luang, I think you are getting worked up over nothing to be honest and perhaps your subsequent post regarding your own personal situation explains your sensitivity to such questions being asked. Others joining in the condemnation seem to be assuming this is some sort of 'class' filtering system and I do not believe this to be the case.

I interview regularly (for an international company) and asking about an interviewee's family, be it parents or siblings, is a standard question for myself and Thai colleagues who interview Thais.

Personally, I view this as a way to get the interviewee to relax a little and show a personal interest in them and their family, which I believe might be appreciated from a Thai perspective. I can't speak for others but answers to questions regarding family would not be used by me as a screening process. I think you can make quite a good judgement of peoples' suitability based on their CV and general interview performance. Even if 'background' was an issue for some companies, employers would be able to make a very quick judgement on this based on schooling/university without the need for more 'direct' questioning on family at interview.

Similarly, I may ask about candidates' hobbies in their free time, which again is not directly work related as some seem to be advocating as an appropriate range for an interviews, but it shows an interest in their wider life and can also be useful in highlighting personal achievements that indicate an organised, goal-oriented and motivated individual.

International company or not, most of our employees are Thai so I would describe our workplace as Thai with an international flavour, not the other way around, so expectations by some of applying a purely 'western' approach in the workplace are off the mark in my view.

Goodness knows I would love my Thai colleagues to arrive on time, not take 2 hours for lunch and not 'hang around' the office until 9pm every day, but such is the culture here !

after finishing uni, my job applications involved filling out the companies' application forms

the forms had questions about things like age, DOB and also your religion.

never figured out what that had to do with anything (yes one may argue there are some religious organisations, but Im talking about supposedly secular businesses....why would anyone's religion affect their job performance?) :)

anyhow, I didnt like answering a lot of those details

so now I create my own resume for my job applications. I include details that I think are relevant to the job. no mention of age, gender, height body size or photos or religion :D

if they ask me at interview? I answer all performance/skill/capability/aptitude related questions.

anything that is personal? I decide what Im comfortable answering.

and this has nothing to do with what is or isnt deemed as PC. simply what Im not comfortable with, I wouldnt answer. simple as that. if I dont get the job, no big loss. Id rather have a job that I can be comfortable and be myself, than feel any kind of intrusion or pressure.

just my opinion :D

Maybe you are in a luxery possition that you can effort by just not answering a question about relegion to not get a job or dont want, i don't.

And Age has sure something to do with your job, ever seen a fighter jet pilot born in 2003 :D

Edited by needforspeed

I have interviewed with government contractors in the past (not in Thailand), and while they are bound by most of the same EOE rules I can tell you that the background investigations cover EVERYTHING.

I am from the US and think in most western PC countries there is too much government interference in private business.

I believe an employer who is putting his/her money and the future of the company on the line, has a right to ask any question they deem appropriate. The person being asked has every right to decline to answer if they see fit.

On the other hand, the prospective employee should be able to ask any question they want about the company. The interviewer can answer or decline.

At the end, each makes a decision on the other. If both positive, job offered and accepted. If either negative, no job.

Why does the government or any other party need to be involved in this process? (rhetorical question)

I couldn't agree more. I think an employer/owner/manager who has their money and reputation on the line should be able to ask questions and use those answers in their decision making. I hate seeing companies being forced into situations where they are all but required to hire lower qualified people just because of race/sex/etc. If this business is looking for something specific that would be affected by whether the interviewee lived with parents or not, then by all means ask away. Wouldn't it be better to know beforehand. Personally, being from the US also, I think it is absolutely great that children take care of their parents. I mean really takes care of them and not just put them in a home somewhere and visit twice a year. These people are showing morals and values, IMO.

disclaimer: No, I don't think that every person that puts their mom/dad in an assisted living/nursing home is a bad person. There are times when medical situations arise and this is the best option.

the fact that I have no religion, nor understand the concept of, and hence fail to see the relevance to work, also might have something to do with my 'luxury position' :)

"Am I missing something here that I haven't considered?"

Yes, you are. Look out the window. You are in Thailand, not Europe.

Exactly, it seems that companies / individuals are supposed to accept the "Thai way" when it applies to them but are held to "Western Ways" when it's not convenient for the local entity or individual.

[

1. It is the parents' employment that is the issue and this is still not justified. I see your other responses and can accept those to an extent.

2. I hope you never feel you can't get that job anymore because you're the grand old age of 32! Go well.

Parent's employment again tells about issues dealing with the culture the prospective employee was raised in. When hiring Thai workers I use a Thai employee of the company to conduct the interview in Thai. I tell them to ask the interview questions, then ask a thought problem question (the answers usually don't matter to me but the quickness of mind does). I then ask them to get them chatting about general things while showing them around. All of this before I talk to the prospective employee. I want to know some specific things that a sit down interview doesn't quite tell. How do they associate with the rest of the staff even in a first blush type environment. How do they talk to other people when they relax a bit? What type of language do they use etc.

Then I do a brief interview in English (and Thai if needed). Discuss the person with my Thai interviewer. Then decide.

Regarding the advert I will be running and age ... I have a specific need for the person I am looking for and they will be living/working with a similarly aged group of people. Sometimes the need is for an older or more authoritarian (social context) employee. Sometimes it just doesn't matter at all about the age. I would be remiss if I didn't look to fill the available positions with people most suited to the environment.

BTW --- I am now 45 and have hit the age at which many businesses in Thailand would not hire me at all :D

Ok JD, seems i have to get personal here to get my point across to you.

I came from a broken working class family (things could have been worse so no violins here thanks). My mother and stepfather both had what some would call menial jobs. Is that my fault? Does that represent me? Will that affect my performance?

Sure it affected me in some ways and i went through school failing everything. However, and this is the succinct point i have been trying to make, i eventually went on to gain an Hons degree (2.1), a Postgraduate Diploma and a Postgraduate teaching qualification.

So, as i have said, me and my parents were different entities and i am the individual with the skills and attributes to do a job and they had no bearing on that whatsoever.

I guess i don't get the job...right?!

Am i less worthy than those from 'a good middle/upper class family'? I'll let you decide that one. I sure as hel_l know who worked harder to get there! :)

Sorry mate but you sound just like the PC Nazi's that have ruined the UK. Firstly this inteview wasn't about your background or your parents. This was a THAI interview to do with THAI background. Now in your PC mentality background should have no bearing on getting a job but here in Thailand it does. ! Get used to it !

Thankfully they are not as stupid as the politicians back in the UK Where it has ruined a once great country. You cannot advertise or stipulate for a hard worker or a reliable worker there as this now discriminates against lazy and unreliable workers. I know where I would rather look for an employee. Thankfully political correctness here is not the be all of everything as it is back home and long may it continue!

<br />You're to PC and it's not your country, and your wife wasn't offended ...... I'm glad you can't vote in Thailand<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I love retorts like this.

Who country is it?

Does it belong to Thai's? What part exactly belongs to them? The right to live here? The right to some land? What exactly?

Did you know a foreigner can actually access more rights than a Thai? More benefit's, more just about everything.

The whole notion of my country, your country is so banal, especially here.

Please, put that away. Lets grow up and progress.

We are talking about yet another outdated, backward practice done in a 3rd world country that does not seem to want to improve in any way.

I know a very capable lady who works in the army.

She will never get it because she refuses to take part in these ridiculous practices .

Questions should be relevant to the work.

And what is the point when one can so easily lie?

Umm...

I don't think there should be any restrictions on the questions asked.

A job interview is not only about the company finding the right employee, but also about finding the right employer.

If one doesn't like the questions, walk.

Also, I think it is a fair game.

People are free to ask what they want and applicants are free to imagine any reply they like (lie).

And why would your parents influence your abilities to do a particular job?

I know mine certainly never have.

You are quite naive.

Employees in sales positions are more likely to be successful if they speak the same language as their clients.

So, if the position is shopkeeper of a golf shop, they will prefer people who play golf.

If the job is in private banking, they will prefer people who grew up in a reasonable wealthy environment with good manners.

Also, social origins are a hint at the location and composition of the applicant's social network.

As someone pointed out, if the job is to be a lawyer, it is a big advantage if the father or the mother held a similar position, because of the network.

I agree that those aspects are not important for all jobs though.

And this is morally ok MJo?

Not off topic at all, actually very much on topic. So, as long as mummy and daddy come from the right stock, then you shall have the job, right? Even if you have as much ability as the local oompa woompa!

Sorry for believing that ability should count for everything. Oh well, back to to factory i will go. :)

Tally Ho !!

Well, it was never said that ability wasn't taken into account in the selection process.

I do think it is morally OK for people to employ the candidate they feel to be the best - they may have personal reasons for selecting one over the other, but they have every right to do so.

Ok JD, seems i have to get personal here to get my point across to you.

I came from a broken working class family (things could have been worse so no violins here thanks). My mother and stepfather both had what some would call menial jobs. Is that my fault? Does that represent me? Will that affect my performance?

Sure it affected me in some ways and i went through school failing everything. However, and this is the succinct point i have been trying to make, i eventually went on to gain an Hons degree (2.1), a Postgraduate Diploma and a Postgraduate teaching qualification.

So, as i have said, me and my parents were different entities and i am the individual with the skills and attributes to do a job and they had no bearing on that whatsoever.

I guess i don't get the job...right?!

Am i less worthy than those from 'a good middle/upper class family'? I'll let you decide that one. I sure as hel_l know who worked harder to get there!

You seem to have a complex of inferiority.

People certainly don't see you as being less worthy.

It is all about getting the "right" persons into the jobs that are right for them.

In a teaching job it is not much of a problem to bring in leftist views, but I certainly wouldn't hire you for selling luxury cars or private banking.

Hiring an employee is not about the worthiness of the person, it is about how much $$ the company will make.

I often evaluate internet projects with the prospect to buy them. The people who made them always tell me how they worked hard, etc.

But at the end, the only thing that counts is how much the site is making, and I'll pay between 12 and 18 months of net profits.

May I test that? If they asked a certain question ,for example " does your wife( or boyfriend) swallow"? Would you feel offended?

This is an excellent question to see the candidate's reaction on something unexpected/provocating.

This type of question does get asked for example when recruiting negociators. Part of their job is to never get destabilized and quickly find a way to talk around anything. So, in that case... fair game.

Also when recruiting senior people or juniors who should then grow in the company and take over responsibilities, the same type (maybe toned down a bit) is often asked to see if they can cope and prove character. You actually fail if you answer.

I also experienced interviews where they put in a psychologist who will try to create intense stress situations during the interview - again, to see if you cope.

I think asking about background is usual in Thailand.

If you get interviewed for positions with a certain responsibility, and provocative questions arise - before answering, take a minute to think and ask yourself what those people really want from you.

Most of the time, they want you to show assertiveness.

If you submit to their questions, you show submissiveness and won't get that sales manager job.

Edited by manarak

Thanks Luang.

When I used to work in Bangkok for an international hotel company quite often (as one of only 3 westerners in the place) HR asked me to interview potential local candidates for jobs. My very first questions were to weed out folks whose English usage was below par. I'd come to learn that a candidate coming in waving a fresh new BA or MA didn't necessarily mean they had English skills as well.

My questioning started with basic comprehension. In fact the question "What do your parents do?" was one I frequently used. Quite often the answer would come back as " Saraburi' " or " Bangkok " A question like "Where did you graduate from?" wasn't some hidden agenda designed to fail the candidates because they graduated from Rajabhat Loei rather than Chula but simply a case of if they answered " Business Administration " I knew that they weren't likely to be much good as front line staff or Executive Secretary to the GM if their basic comprehension was that low.

Truly mate I'm sure these questions were completely innocuous and not designed to humiliate or degrade your partner in any way.

Thanks Luang.

When I used to work in Bangkok for an international hotel company quite often (as one of only 3 westerners in the place) HR asked me to interview potential local candidates for jobs. My very first questions were to weed out folks whose English usage was below par. I'd come to learn that a candidate coming in waving a fresh new BA or MA didn't necessarily mean they had English skills as well.

My questioning started with basic comprehension. In fact the question "What do your parents do?" was one I frequently used. Quite often the answer would come back as " Saraburi' " or " Bangkok " A question like "Where did you graduate from?" wasn't some hidden agenda designed to fail the candidates because they graduated from Rajabhat Loei rather than Chula but simply a case of if they answered " Business Administration " I knew that they weren't likely to be much good as front line staff or Executive Secretary to the GM if their basic comprehension was that low.

Truly mate I'm sure these questions were completely innocuous and not designed to humiliate or degrade your partner in any way.

Fair play to you mca for your levelled input. You may be right and i may have overreacted. I hope that is the case. Irony is that she was not phased at all as family are well educated/middle managers. I guess somebody was right in that i am more sensitive to it due to my history. Then again , that is to be expected too i guess.