My First Encounter With The "warrior"

webfact

My first encounter with the "Warrior"

By Tulsathit Taptim

The Nation

My first encounter with the "Warrior"

BANGKOK: -- Seh Daeng entertains The Nation editor Tulsathit Taptim with thoughts on Napoleon, warriors' underwear and the three types of Thai TV citizens

If Maj-General Khattiya Sawasdipol did bomb the Army headquarters as alleged, you would find it hard not to forgive him if you'd met him in person.

I stumbled into that unfortunate situation yesterday afternoon when "Seh Daeng" walked into our newsroom after visiting the Nation Channel.

We set up a live-tweet mission for me. Our media group's political editors would be interviewing him while I would sit in my room listening on my mobile and "tweet-cast" the conversations.

Gosh, he was LOUD, and talked in a rapid-fire manner. To add to that, he was the most incoherent, flip-flopping speaker I'd ever heard. (He made Chavalit Yongchaiyudh look like Barack Obama when it comes to speaking.) We assigned about 10 editors to tear him to pieces but they never stood a chance. Questions never mattered. He would say what he liked.

The largely one-sided talk jumped back and forth from modern-day revolutions to ancient warriors to Chavalit being the holiest man in Thailand. There were times when I seriously thought he needed medical help, or he was simply faking it to escape legal trouble.

These are samples of the exchanges:

- You say over and over again that you never lie, so tell us about the bomb at the Army headquarters.

- On that I have to lie a little.

- Will there be shooting? (Will there be political bloodshed?)

- That depends on me.

- Do you have weapons for this war? (referring to his claim that a "People's Army" was being set up.)

- Nope. As of now we only have saakkabua (pestles).

- What if the court seizes Thaksin's assets?

- It's not my problem. My salary is only tens of thousands.

- What are you getting for helping him?

- There are morons who think I want money. I'm finished if I do that.

- Again, did you bomb General Anupong's office?

- Are you crazy asking me that? Would I admit it if I did?

- How much time do you think Thaksin gives himself for his political comeback?

- He gave Big Jiew [Chavalit] one year.

Khattiya also said that Thailand had three types of people:

"Normal buffalos" - those who watch TV Channels 3, 5, 7, 9 and so on.

"Stupid buffalos" - those who watch ASTV

"Ordinary citizens" - those who watch the red-shirt TV station.

When one editor asked if the red-shirted movement was powerful enough to neutralise the military. He said "Of course", because "most of the red shirts are women".

First, he kept calling himself "Phi Daeng" (Brother Daeng), but later he preferred to be |refer to himself as "warrior". Then discussion went from China's revolutions to Napoleon to how real "warriors" dealt |with their unchanged underwear. And at this point, he responded to many questions with a blunt "You don't understand warriors".

I joined the real interview towards the end, but by that time he had considerably cooled down. Yet he saved the best for the last.

An aide came into the room and handed him a note.

"I gotta go now," the "warrior" said. "Have a plane to catch at 5 pm. I'm going to speak in Nong Khai".

Then he looked at the watch and exclaimed: "Damned! It's 4.30 now. I've missed the flight already."

Honestly, I wished he had made it to Nong Khai. If he was scheduled to speak at a red-shirt rally, they really deserved all the fun.

Whether or not his hands were tainted with bomb residues, this is a very special character, believe me.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-05

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

It is hard to believe that this person is a General in the Thai Armed Services, But Thailand has 1000 Generals in her Services, Compared to the US that has 873 Generals and Admirals in her Services.

A little top heavy I would say!

Cheers: :)

If 10 editors couldn't shred the man, it speaks to the fact that he is alot smarter than people give him credit for.

Call him a diabolical genius, call him wiley, call him cunning, but it seems to me he had some fun with a bunch of self proclaimed Bangkok "intellectuals" and left them in his dust. Even if this was meant as a backhanded hatchet job, it unfortunately makes him out to be an endearing likeable fellow. Thing is, I don't think I would want to be his friend, let alone his enemy. :)

If 10 editors couldn't shred the man, it speaks to the fact that he is alot smarter than people give him credit for.

Call him a diabolical genius, call him wiley, call him cunning, but it seems to me he had some fun with a bunch of self proclaimed Bangkok "intellectuals" and left them in his dust. Even if this was meant as a backhanded hatchet job, it unfortunately makes him out to be an endearing likeable fellow. Thing is, I don't think I would want to be his friend, let alone his enemy. :)

Well if you speak just complete nonsense and don't care if your second sentence tells the opposite from the first one.

That grand impostor, that loathsome hypocrite, that detestable traitor, that opprobrium of mankind, that landscape of iniquity, that sink of sin, that compendium of baseness who now calls himself our protector.

The Anabaptists, in an address to King Charles II, on Oliver Cromwell

He's obviously mentally unhinged, a perfect match for dear leader. Although his chaotic answers may seem clever or charming, I think they indicate a disconnection with reality. Or maybe he's just a speed freak?

:D They let this man have weapons? Amazing Thailand! :)

"Normal buffalos" - those who watch TV Channels 3, 5, 7, 9 and so on.

"Stupid buffalos" - those who watch ASTV

"Ordinary citizens" - those who watch the red-shirt TV station.

And some of us are called prejudiced on TVF. HA!

This guy takes the cake.

Anyone who doesn't agree with him is a substandard human being,

or not even a human being. This speaks volumes to his mental state,

and the methodologies of the Red Side mind control propaganda.

Make you opponent a lesser beingvs all who agree with your views.

There is no gray area, nor middle ground in his mindset, it's us or them, all or nothing.

My friend blindly or my enemy totally.

Generals are supposed to see the big picture and think in the strategic, tactical AND political spheres.

This guy is a grunt who keeps getting promoted, but without the properly schooled merits,

most promotions in most armies require.

Colorful leaders are not always the best... steady and well considered leaders while boring,

many actually leave better results for the future and posterity. Yes manage the present

but manage it with an eye for the effects on a probable future.

If this is an example of Thaksin's leadership choices, and he regains power

we are all F....d...

Edited by animatic

He certainly sounds like a colourful character. This is what Thai politics need, more colourful characters. Samak was the last colourful Thai politician, reminded me of Australia's Paul Keating!

Abbisit is sooooooo boring.

Boring he may be, but he is trying to run a country that has been affected by the world recession and is being held hostage for the present time by a lunatic in Dubai (Saruman?) and his minions.

Thai politics has colorful characters, guys like Chalerm & Kasit and chaotic as it may be at times, it's not Fawlty Towers

Probably not a great idea to call virtually everyone in the country a buffalo

Another bit of bad PR by the red side to go with the people's army which today sees massive backtracking. Personally, I dont understand why the red side which a year ago was quite effective at PR and certainly outdid the government have suddenly become totally amateurish at it.

Probably not a great idea to call virtually everyone in the country a buffalo

Another bit of bad PR by the red side to go with the people's army which today sees massive backtracking. Personally, I dont understand why the red side which a year ago was quite effective at PR and certainly outdid the government have suddenly become totally amateurish at it.

I suspect Thaksins PR budget for true professionals is depleted at present.

If he is running the show himself in his obviously stressed out state,

that would likely explain the scatter-shot approach to things.

As well as a lack of cogent analysis of the situation from several view points.

USUALLY

being reactive, rather than proactive, is in relation to the actions of others,

not their reaction to your own inabilities to be correctly proactive.

Back tracking from their own misjudgments... classic.

Reactionary to their own mis-steps.... who are his advisers?

Sae Daeng and Pallop? Nopadon? Does he even allow advisers?

He didn't like that when he ran his cabinet on his own.

Edited by animatic

I think the word that was translated to editor would be better used to describe cadet journalists in any other organisation. Maybe this is an accurate description of what was said, and the man was/is less than mentally competent by modern western standards, thus perfect for the ruling class in a tin-pot depotocracy.

He certainly sounds like a colourful character. This is what Thai politics need, more colourful characters. Samak was the last colourful Thai politician, reminded me of Australia's Paul Keating!

This country doesnt need colourful characters, as it already had enough of it. Sure, Samak was very colourful and so is our Massage Tycon Khun Chuwit, but in the long run they rather harm the country. Colourful also means Red, Yellow and Blue. This country requires immediate peace and consistency on a domestic level. I rather leave foreign politics alone for the time being. If the Thai's do not get their act together in the next few months, they will run in to another desaster, which may or may not end up peacefully like the Songkran 2009

stand ups.

Thailand does not need Lunatics or some wanna be generals whatsoever folks at the moment. The Kingdom is in critical situation and on the edge to maneuver in to pretty wild water. Situations like this just make things even worse.

There are a lot of opinions out there, that if the country does not get their political act together it will sooner or later turn in to a Banana Republic.

Seemed to be quite well written to me.

Clearly the man is an idiot or a lunatic or both

Both; much like the rest of them:

"We want democracy" while at same time threating to kill the pm or anyone who campains for another party

Boring he may be, but he is trying to run a country that has been affected by the world recession and is being held hostage for the present time by a lunatic in Dubai (Saruman?) and his minions.

Thai politics has colorful characters, guys like Chalerm & Kasit and chaotic as it may be at times, it's not Fawlty Towers

More like the The Keystone Kops then?

Seriously, why are so many TV expats getting so emotional, defensive & offensive about Thai Politics here.

1. Due to LM laws, the topic can't be debated in full.

2. The information being debated is coming from a censored news outlet.

3. No Thai politician gives a rats arse about what a bunch of Farangs on an expat forum think.

Chill out Guys, what ever is going to happen, there's nothing you can do about it.