The Karma Conundrum

cognos

No excuse surely under Buddha's teachings.

Buddah would not hurt an ant (a being that within the belief system must have been v bad indeed!).

What about squashing an ant you do not see?

No different than selling an extremely delicious pastry dish that some guy/gal spends his last 100 Baht on (directly into our cash register) and neglects to buy milk for his/her child at home who sinks further into an unrecoverable tailspin life of malnourishment.

:)

*just an example, I'm not in the pastry business.

I'm missing the point you're trying to make.

My earlier post was about wealthy people deliberately ripping off poor people and how they had become wealthy (according to the Buddhist belief) because they were so good in previous lives. Therefore how come they become v bad once they reach this pinnacle - deliberately.

The same applies to someone buying a pastry (or whatever) at the expense of their child. Humans are supposed to be at the top of the Buddhist list, having been v good in previous lives as animals. If we don't continue improving - what's the point of the religion?

Forgot to mention - I'd LOVE to believe in Buddhism, it ought to be true - but the reality of life disproves it.

Edited by F1fanatic

karma= all total nonsense

another tool to control the masses

so many awful people lead lives of great luxery and do not seem to be bothered by any " karma"

why is this?

or are they going to this place that some like to think exists that will oneday punish them.

My Goodness- how we love to be deluded

karma= all total nonsense

another tool to control the masses

so many awful people lead lives of great luxery and do not seem to be bothered by any " karma"

why is this?

or are they going to this place that some like to think exists that will oneday punish them.

My Goodness- how we love to be deluded

Precisely. But wouldn't it be nice if it were true - heartfelt sigh...

Buddah would not hurt an ant (a being that within the belief system must have been v bad indeed!).

No different than selling an extremely delicious pastry dish that some guy/gal spends his last 100 Baht on (directly into our cash register) and neglects to buy milk for his/her child at home who sinks further into an unrecoverable tailspin life of malnourishment.

My earlier post was about wealthy people deliberately ripping off poor people and how they had become wealthy (according to the Buddhist belief) because they were so good in previous lives. Therefore how come they become v bad once they reach this pinnacle - deliberately.

The same applies to someone buying a pastry (or whatever) at the expense of their child. Humans are supposed to be at the top of the Buddhist list, having been v good in previous lives as animals. If we don't continue improving - what's the point of the religion?

The point is that plenty of people get wealthy (deliberately no doubt) selling pastries, flip flops, t-shirts, etc. There seems to be this assumption that 'ripping people off' has to somehow be part of the process and that wealthy people must be inherently bad somehow.

:D

The point is that plenty of people get wealthy (deliberately no doubt) selling pastries, flip flops, t-shirts, etc. There seems to be this assumption that 'ripping people off' has to somehow be part of the process and that wealthy people must be inherently bad somehow.

:D

Far more are born wealthy and its a fair assumption that this wealth has been gained at the expense of the poor.

Unfortunately we only have to look at the 'bankers' scandal to realise that those who have more think its OK to 'rip off' those who have less.

Obviously there are a few (very few) wealthy people who realise that they are privileged and would not dream of taking advantage of anyone else.

IMO they are in a minority......

Far more are born wealthy and its a fair assumption that this wealth has been gained at the expense of the poor.

Unfortunately we only have to look at the 'bankers' scandal to realise that those who have more think its OK to 'rip off' those who have less.

Obviously there are a few (very few) wealthy people who realise that they are privileged and would not dream of taking advantage of anyone else.

IMO they are in a minority......

Allot of rich people get that way by being cheap. Most poor people in the west are just poor because they are dumb. But 3rd world poor are different because they have less opportunity.

Edited by sokal

I think it'll take more than one or even a few hundred examples before anyone can make a 'fair' assumption either way.

Now that's a fair a assumption.