Real Player Disappearance

johnnort

Help please. I have had Real Player on my laptop for many years with no problems. Five days ago however, when trying to view an e-mail attachment I had the following message;

RealPlay.exe Unable to locate component.

This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found.Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I downloaded Real Player SP which solved the problem for 24 hours. Wherever I look for Real on the computer, in programs for example, I get the same message above.

I have downloaded Real now many times with the same 24 hour result. On downloading however it does not recognise that the computer is on line.

I am running an HP Presario and registered copy of XP.

Any thoughts. Mick

You need to run registry cleaner. You need to use a third party program. MS doesn't provide that for obvious reason to keep their sales up. There are a few free registrey cleaners out there. I'm using AVS4YOU which isn't free but comes with many other features.

It always cleared my little problems in a jiffy.

If you're just out to play rm files (like the mail attachment) you may want to check out RealMedia players from other sources. klite may work for you (http://www.codecguide.com/), but if you decide to check it out do a backup first because klite is a codec pack, and the other stuff may alter your present codec set up.

What I don't like about RM products is that when you install them they dominate the system: rather than just have another application installed, you now have all this stuff going on, and it's all for something you may seldom use. This is a pet peeve of mine, Adobe products and Apple Quicktime do the same thing (I'm sure others do too, like anything anything from Symantec, but I haven't tried lately). One thing in favor of GIMP over Photoshop is you don't have to install that Adobe <deleted>.

Last week I installed an application that also installed Quicktime. Afterwards, my uninstall list then contained THREE Apple listings: Apple Updater, Apple Software Program something-or-other, and Quicktime itself. Yech! After I uninstalled the first two Quicktime wouldn't run, so I said to h_ell with it and uninstalled QT, manually scrubbing the registry; I then decided to just restore the system from a recent backup.

Hi.

I highly recommend to download and install the free "K-Lite Codec Pack". After that is in, you can play all (!) video and audio formats with the regular Windows Media Player (which is a good player) and don't need different players for different formats.

Alternatives would be VLC which plays pretty much everything as well but has a somewhat plain user interface, or GOM player which is like VLC but looks nicer (and supports even more "strange" formats).

I remember vaguely having a problem with that same file you mentioned, MSVCR71.dll, some time ago on my (then-XP) office machine.... a message that such file was missing would pop up every then and when without RealPlayer even installed on that machine. That problem went away on it's own after a few days.

Kind regards.....

Thanh