negreanu

Hi,

What is the latest reports on True Internet 16mb product mainly:

1. International Speedtest

2. Downloading newsgroups (10 connections) / Torrent download speads

3. Gaming such as World Of Warcraft pings

4. Downloading from Itunes Store

5. You tube streaming

6. Stable or useless for example early evenings or weekends.

A lot of questions but i would appreciate it a lot. Thanks again.

OK, let's try to be more constructive.

True 16MB product ?

A 'domestic offering' ???

Thailand domestic infrastructure will never support that IMHO. Certainly for what you want.

Wrong country atm.

K

True do offer a "16mb premium product".

My current provider although expensive offers 4mb (440KB/s Download) and this is what i get internationally and domestically 24/7 (On all the above questions I posted). I am just looking for reports of actual users of the product so see what they are achieving before opting for this package.

16mb True is about half the cost of my current provider so half the cost and 6mb+ makes sense even if it is sold as a 16mb product which it does not achieve.

Also my understanding is if you go for the 16mb premium as opposed to the 16mb standard the contention ratio is lower and the upload bandwidth is higher.

Edited by negreanu

From my site in Bangkok, very good and consistent. 16Mbps down, 1.012Mbps up. Go for it!

International speedtests mostly fullspeed but generally at least 9 Mbps and greater at any time of day.

This was tested Saturday Morning 9.49 AM BKK time

London 15.8 568mS

Paris 15.46 530

Rome 15.95 557

Rochester NY 15.85 1116

Phoenix AZ 1.7 499

Durban SA 15.87 948

Perth AU 15.88 333

Brisbane AU 15.84 768

Singapore 15.9 386

Tokyo 15.87 369

Taiwan 15.87 330

Indonesia 15.86 383

Chuangchun CN 15.84 656

Video streaming from within Thailand is very good. Internationally has the occasional hiccup but works. Slingbox streams from my house in CA is consistently 100%

Hope this helps!

stolidfeline,

Thanks for those results. I am impressed with those speeds for the money they want for the product.

Looks like I have to make the change considering the cost saving and those figures.

Many thanks.

Edited by negreanu

There was a typo above - Phoenix was 15.7 not 1.7

True have been consistently improving themsleves over recent years. I am very happy with them and I feel they deserve to be congratulated.

One thing - if you use your connection at sustained full speed you may experience problems with your modem. Many of them cannot sustain full ADSL2+ speeds and will drop out or lock up.

You will get somewhat more consistent throughput with an MTU of 1485 instead of the default 1492. This especially applies if ytou try to use the crappy Zyxel P660 router/modem that they often give away free with the promotion. I recommend throwing it in the nearest bin.

Good luck!

There was a typo above - Phoenix was 15.7 not 1.7

True have been consistently improving themsleves over recent years. I am very happy with them and I feel they deserve to be congratulated.

One thing - if you use your connection at sustained full speed you may experience problems with your modem. Many of them cannot sustain full ADSL2+ speeds and will drop out or lock up.

You will get somewhat more consistent throughput with an MTU of 1485 instead of the default 1492. This especially applies if ytou try to use the crappy Zyxel P660 router/modem that they often give away free with the promotion. I recommend throwing it in the nearest bin.

Good luck!

Which router are you getting most success with?

From my site in Bangkok, very good and consistent. 16Mbps down, 1.012Mbps up. Go for it!

International speedtests mostly fullspeed but generally at least 9 Mbps and greater at any time of day.

This was tested Saturday Morning 9.49 AM BKK time

London 15.8 568mS

Paris 15.46 530

Rome 15.95 557

Rochester NY 15.85 1116

Phoenix AZ 1.7 499

Durban SA 15.87 948

Perth AU 15.88 333

Brisbane AU 15.84 768

Singapore 15.9 386

Tokyo 15.87 369

Taiwan 15.87 330

Indonesia 15.86 383

Chuangchun CN 15.84 656

Video streaming from within Thailand is very good. Internationally has the occasional hiccup but works. Slingbox streams from my house in CA is consistently 100%

Hope this helps!

Hello stolidfeline,

How are you? Fine I hope.

Can you tell me what time of the day you performed the speed/ping test from True Internet? Have you tested it during the mid afternoon of a work day when it is the slowest?

I was wondering if you could ever find the time to test my website for speed and ping performance? You are located in Thailand? Well the name of my website is 99

If you have interest its a very good website. One of the finest in the world actually. See the blogs anyway you can login as

If you do it you can reply here or send me message on the website "toby" or

Maybe others on the forum might consider testing for me also? I have $100,000 personally invested in this thing.

Thanks alot

Toby :)

From the post in which you reproduced this: "From my site in Bangkok, very good and consistent. 16Mbps down, 1.012Mbps up. Go for it! International speedtests mostly fullspeed but generally at least 9 Mbps and greater at any time of day. This was tested Saturday Morning 9.49 AM BKK time"

Your "dating" website loads very quickly.

Edited by stolidfeline

True is prioritizing common speed test websites. This makes the speed tests unreliable at best.

You should download a file from a source you know would be able to serve you with more than your needed speeds. You'd be surprised at the difference in speed.

Torrent speeds from public trackers are generally quite slow as true limiting the amount of concurrent connections. Well seeded private trackers allows you to go full speed.

Pings vary between 330 ms to 1000 ms depending on destination. Higher pings when bandwidth is being used.

iTunes downloads are hit and miss. Sometimes it comes at decent (~300KB/s) speeds and other times (or just another file at the same time) it slows down to a crawl.

Youtube is hit and miss. Popular videos are cashed by google at servers with the Thai dedicated bandwidth (3 Gbps last time I checked), and those download fine, obscure and non local videos load slow.

It seems like Friday night and Sundays are the "worst" to be online. Also around 3 am to 5 am every day it is normally slow as, I think, True is updating their caching servers.

If you use an alternative DNS server, expect to have issue with non-loading websites and other issues related to Internet performance. Use True's own DNS and you will have less issues, but still have problems....

Enable a VPN to bypass all these problems.

I have been analyzing and probing Trues ADSL connection for a while now and my results are not "what I just got" but an average over a period of over 6 months.

Generally speaking your experience with True is going to be good the 1st month, and go on a steady decline thereafter. The problem is that when it starts to go bad, it takes a gargantuan effort to get them to actually begin to solve the problem.

www.measurementlab.net will let you know quite a lot.

Next time when you get good speeds on a public tracker, check and see if you have a 61.88.x.x IP or any other IP which is giving you very high speeds (normally they use bitcomet). This is a True caching server.

I agree with True trying to find way to reduce international torrent traffic, however their caching solution doesn't cover all torrents, just new and popular ones (eg. TV series).

From the post in which you reproduced this: "From my site in Bangkok, very good and consistent. 16Mbps down, 1.012Mbps up. Go for it! International speedtests mostly fullspeed but generally at least 9 Mbps and greater at any time of day. This was tested Saturday Morning 9.49 AM BKK time"

Your "dating" website loads very quickly.

Thank you stolidfeline, that information was very helpful. And to others who replied to my account mail I could not read because the moderator blocked it

Edited by tjames