Non-im visa

Just got my non-im visa. Says 'good for multiple entries' and 'must be utilized before oct 29 2004'. So must I leave every 3 months? Since it just says 'multiple' does this mean I could leave and re-enter say 6 times in a year if I needed to or is there a limit on the number of entries in a year? thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me.

Bob

Based on that particular visa you need to leave every 90 days or seek an extension from Immigration. With judiscious use you can make it last a bit longer. If you enter Thailand just before 29 October you will get another 90 days. is it an O or B visa ?  Are you married to a Thai or planning retirement ?

That notwithstanding, they are extendable. I think it is a mechanism whereby if you are up to no good they can say CANNOT

That may be true but believe it probably is to indicate you can not extend it for a month like a tourist visa.  Remember consulates asking if I wanted them not to stamp it as some customer requested visa not have that stamp.  It is confusing but as said they can still be extended on a yearly basis, with or without that stamp.

Just to make it clear to me (and anyone else), if you get a one year extension then you only need to report to Imm every 90 days and not have to leave the country.

* correct me if I'm wrong here *

You can of course come and go as many times as you like on a multi-entry VISA and not have to worry about the 90 days.

That's what I've been doing anyway, as I was told. I hope it's correct!

Just to make it clear to me (and anyone else), if you get a one year extension then you only need to report to Imm every 90 days and not have to leave the country.

You do not have to leave the country.  Address report after each 90 days since last entry/report (if you travel frequently you might never have to file).  Maintain visa status (have money/income whatever for next extension).  And, very important, you obtain a re-entry permit if you do travel.  If you happen to forget and return without it your visa is no longer valid and you will have to start over.

Go into Immigration with your tax info work permit etc and extend it up to the life of the WP. You'll need a re-entry permit or permits if you intend to leave Thailand during the extension period. There is a 90 day reporting obligation each time you  stay the full 90 days.

I think part of the original question, and I may not have understood the answer, was how many entries was it good for.I also have non immigrant B, american, and if I want to visit a new country each month while I'm here, does that kill the multiple entries if you only get 4. So, if I want to go to Cambodia this week, Laos next week, and Mynamar next month, have I used all my permittable entries? I entered LOS two weeks ago. Or is there a legal way to visit the area without using up the entire visa entries in a short period of time? Thanks in advance for any help.

:cool:

I think part of the original question, and I may not have understood the answer, was how many entries was it good for.I also have non immigrant B, american, and if I want to visit a new country each month while I'm here, does that kill the multiple entries if you only get 4. So, if I want to go to Cambodia this week, Laos next week, and Mynamar next month, have I used all my permittable entries? I entered LOS two weeks ago. Or is there a legal way to visit the area without using up the entire visa entries in a short period of time? Thanks in advance for any help.

:cool:

Thanks for the info Doctor. And LPC, this was part of what I was wondering. Can I go out and come back in every month or two months up to a year? Or if I want to get a year out of the visa, do I need to go every 3 months only? keep in mind that my visa says that it is good for 'multiple entries'. It does not state a specific number. So from that, I would assume I could exit and re-enter every two weeks for 3 months (6 entries) and then still have 9 more months where I would only have to leave every three months(another 3 entries) if I wanted to settle down. Is this correct or is there a limit on the number of entries?

Can I go out and come back in every month or two months up to a year?

Multi means multi.  Only when the number is written (rather than "multi", is there a limit.  In that case you need a re-entry permit if you want to exit/return and keep the same 90 expiration date of your original entry and not use up a new entry (LPC question).

What is the longest period of time anyone can stay legally in Thailand on a visa without having to leave the country? And how can they achieve this?

Until they die, I believe, if they keep getting visa extensions.  Extend visa each year.

They all have that on them Adventure. That notwithstanding, they are extendable. I think it is a mechanism whereby if you are up to no good they can say CANNOT.  T i T   :o

So..... It's "negotiable" then?

How long can it be extended for?

Can I extend for another 1,3 or 6 months without leaving the country?

Dr.

At the risk of hi-jacking the thread and sounding ungrateful for your input (which I am not). You're still not answering my original question(s).

My visa is synchronised with my permit (i know all about re-entries going every three months etc) For me, I don't want to have to go every three months to BKK or outside the country. Can I get 6 months or 1 year without fannying around?

As for my partner, he does not work in Thailand and therefore does not need a work permit, but he does want to come for 6 months (holiday, travelling call it what you want). He will be on a B visa when he enters. Can he (with the no extension of stay) extend his visa so he too does not have to fanny around?