Lots Of Luggage

Khun Bob

I hoping to travel to LOS soon, but will have quite a bit of luggage to bring. I'm hoping to have 2 suitcases and 1 or 2 hand luggage. The flight will be from London to Bangkok

I just wondered what peoples experience with having 30-40Kgs+ ? and if you have any recommendations on the best way to manage this.

I have been speaking to a travel agent in London who states that on their Thai Air economy tickets I get 30Kg allowance and as I have a Star Alliance silver card should get another 10kg ?

I've read a few of the other posts and generally people did not comment favorably on using excess luggage companies, unless they deliver to the door. Seems they say the best way is to take it with you if you can. But this post was almost 2 years ago.

Thanks and look forward to hear from you...

I hoping to travel to LOS soon, but will have quite a bit of luggage to bring.  I'm hoping to have 2 suitcases and 1 or 2 hand luggage.  The flight will be from London to Bangkok

I just wondered what peoples experience with having 30-40Kgs+ ? and if you have any recommendations on the best way to manage this.

I have been speaking to a travel agent in London who states that on their Thai Air economy tickets I get 30Kg allowance and as I have a Star Alliance silver card should get another 10kg ?

I've read a few of the other posts and generally people did not comment favorably on using excess luggage companies, unless they deliver to the door.  Seems they say the best way is to take it with you if you can.  But this post was almost 2 years ago.

I would check with the airline first 30Kg on economy is to say the least not usual. If it does not say 30kg on the ticket you have no comeback at check in and could end with a big excess bill. I sent one unaccompaied last year but the hasltle getting it out of customs wsa not worth the effort don't recommned it.

I'd say your travel agent is wrong... Thai economy tickets have a 20kg allowance and yes, you'll get an extra 10kg with a Star Alliance Silver card. Business class tickets have a 30kg allowance.

If you're a few kilos over, the Silver card will probably mean they will turn a blind eye.

Hi.

I concur, Thai economy is 20kg (but do check your tickets), you'll get an extra 10k with your card, anything more is up to the check-in person (be nice) and how full the flight is, I've been given an extra 8-9kg in the past. Airlines are paring to the bone with the extra fuel costs these days.

The excess baggage rate is gigantic.

Also, be aware that LHR are enforcing the carry on restrictions (one bag, restricted weight and size), you'll probably get away with a PC and camera as well as your carry on bag.

I sent some unaccompanied (90kg) last year, getting out of customs was fun, ended up costing about 3k Baht in duty and tea money AND the bags had been opened (nothing missing) and damaged. No insurance coz they wern't packed professionally. :o

Work on losing weight (bags, silly), much of what we brought could actually have been replaced here but the other half is sentimental, worth the cash for a bit of peace :D

I hoping to travel to LOS soon, but will have quite a bit of luggage to bring.  I'm hoping to have 2 suitcases and 1 or 2 hand luggage.  The flight will be from London to Bangkok

I've read a few of the other posts and generally people did not comment favorably on using excess luggage companies, unless they deliver to the door.  Seems they say the best way is to take it with you if you can.  But this post was almost 2 years ago.

I think you stand more chance of getting away with it if you can restrict yourself to one big piece of checked luggage ( 32 kilos max or very close) and 2 pieces of hand baggage that could be one 5-7kilos and one up to ten kilos but not too physically big.

With your weight allowance and with your card you should check the suitcase no problem and you should 'lose' the bigger piece of hand baggage when you check in, so check in do not see it. If they give you some sort of tag for the remaining piece transfer this to the bigger piece when you can, try and pick up another tag.

At the gate it is possible they may start quibbling about the fact that you have two pieces of hand baggage , but in my experience I have only seen the airline insist that one piece goes in the hold (at no charge) so you get it on board. I always think one bag I can put over the shoulder and perhaps a bit behind me looks less conspicuous.

The above fits your plan except it only gives you one suitcase but nearly 50kgs.

I see two possible scenerios here:

Scenerio #1: You are packing the things you think you will need to bring with you for this trip and you think you can't quite get it all in. In this case make a list of everything you want to bring and post it here so we can ridicule you and tell you what you don't need to bring. My advice for this scenerio is....don't bring any luggage at all....just bring your ticket, your passport, and your money. Anything you really need you can get here and usually cheaper than where ever you are coming from.

Scenerio #2: You want to bring a ton of stuff like left handed widgets and antique thingamajigs which are simply not available here. I understand this completely because every time I visit home and return I fit into this category. I want to absolutely maximize my luggage allotment no matter how big it is and I don't want to be over for weight or size or number of pieces when I arrive at the airport. Here's what I do...I call up the airline, not an agent, and tell them my ticket number and class etc. and ask them specifically about how many pieces of checked luggage and carryon and the maximum weight per piece for each and the combined total for each and the maximum size for each. Remember this includes checked and carryon. After you do this you will know the rules for sure....or do you? I ALWAYS call back a few days later and talk with another person and ask the same questions just to be sure I got it right the first time...and THEY got it right the first time. Then I measure the sizes of the luggage I have and see if it maximizes the volume allowance. If I don't have a piece that maximizes the volume I've been known to make a cardboard box that exactly fits the dimensions for the carryon and even add a handle to it so they can't say its just a box and not luggage. Once I've decided which pieces of luggage to use and built the ones I need I look at all the stuff and allocate it by volume and weight so that every piece is maxed for weight and volume. One thing that most people forget is that after your luggage allowance you are allowed one PURSE!!!! I have a small day pack which I use as a purse. Sometimes I carry a plastic bag with water, munchies and reading material also but I'm alway prepared to jetison this but have never had to. When I arrive at the airport I know that I've got the max load they allow and I've also got the names , dates, and phone numbers of the personell I talked with who told me of the requirements. I've never had a problem and I've carried serious amounts of junk to Thailand over the years.

Chownah