New Skytrain Routes And Airport Link Extension Approved

webfact

Land traffic commission approves two more skytrain routes, Airport Link extension

BANGKOK: -- The Commission for the Management of Land Traffic meeting Mondday approved two additional skytrain routes, Pink and Orange, and the Airport Link extension to reach the Don Muang Airport.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said that the Orange route would be from Min Buri to Bang Kapi, link to the existing Phraya Thai skytrain station and then cross the Chao Phraya River to Thon Buri, which would replace the existing green route that ran from the National Stadium to Pran Nok.

The Pink route would be from Min Buri to Pakkred and the Civil Service Complex on Chaeng Wattana Road, he said. The meeting also agreed to extend the Airport Link to Don Muang and proceed the usage of Don Muang Airport as another airport of Bangkok, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-08

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I know that most of this is talk, but I have to say that if Abhisit can get these things done, then that is a good, (albeit minor), reason for him to stay in power. Any kind of line that can connect those of us in Pinklao to the outside world is welcomed!

I know that most of this is talk, but I have to say that if Abhisit can get these things done, then that is a good, (albeit minor), reason for him to stay in power. Any kind of line that can connect those of us in Pinklao to the outside world is welcomed!

Not during my lifetime. It is only talk

These lines have been in the pipe for a fair while now... but if they can get off the ground within the next few years than the traffic situation is going to improve to no end!!! I would be excited but then

-The current airport line is still not open

-These plans have been in the works for a VERY long time.

In the meantime... why doesn't the government extend the Klong San Saep service and reopen the Lat Phrao and Old Town canals?

Edited by johncitizen

How long did it take to open the first BTS, from the day the first foundation was put it? - 5 years? 10years?

Let's hope they can at least approve it and start working on it... its a good project with regards to traffic, Bangkok needs a lot more mass public transport the roads here can get evil!

While America is gutting Amtrak funding, and localities can't get basic light rail approved by anti-tax voters!

Oh, and Colorado Springs is asking citizens to mow grass at parks and empty garbage themselves as the city is broke and stopped even police and fire service significantly. And this is a strong Christian, Bush Republican, anti-tax area.

I have no criticism for Thailand, no talking room for any westerner. Grats to Thailand for being able to function as a nation and not merely as a host for parasites. I remember when the first BTS was put on hold. Everyone said, "I told you Thais couldn't do it." --->yawn

Edited by ding

Might be a good idea to get the first bit Open before we start thinking about Extensions

:) First it was August '09, then December, to February, to April and now its August '10. And the rumor to those of us who live out here that's only for the express! Hope those rumors are wrong, but there are very few test runs going on right now. :D

Complain, complain, complain. Do you have reason to be a bit skeptical? Yes, of course. Is it really that different than, for example, in the States?

Case in point -- the Washington, D.C. metro area...just a few things off the top of my head:

1. They've been talking about an extension of the metro subway system out to Dulles Airport for well over 20 years. Looks like it's finally beginning to move toward a beginning, but funding is always up in the air, arguments between localities, state, and feds.

2. They've been talking about adding an extension of the metro subway system for well over 20 years that would loop the city by connecting near the end-points of each line, much as the beltway does for traffic. Nothing on the books yet. Lots of studies. Lots of meetings. Talk, talk, talk.

3. They're adding express lanes to the beltway highway system now. Took over 20 years to get it moving. And most people hate the idea.

4. They've been talking about widening I-66 inside the beltway for over 20 years. Contentious meetings, funding problems, etc.

5. The replacement for the Woodrow Wilson (Beltway) Bridge over the Potomac. Nearly done. Talking about it for over 30 years, even while chunks of the pavement would occasionally fall into the river.

That's five huge projects just off the top of my head.

I'm afraid this is one case where I don't agree with the TIT (this is Thailand) argument. TIW (this is the world).

Projects of this scale are always fought tooth and nail by NIMBYs and environmentalists who actually favor horrible traffic (in the misguided hope that if traffic is bad enough, the population will quit increasing). Then throw in all the different organizations that these type of projects touch, and they almost always turn into a huge mess.

One poster mentions using the pink line for getting to immigration. The Pink line is going in an almost straight line from Pakkred, along Chaengwattana Road, past Laksi, along Ramindra all the way to Minburi. Not going into the city center, and the only interchange I can think of will be with the new Don Muang airport link.

I see a comment that the existing airport link will open in August. I recently read that PM Mark had said that the link would be opened "before April". Has anyone got any firm information about an opening date?

One poster mentions using the pink line for getting to immigration. The Pink line is going in an almost straight line from Pakkred, along Chaengwattana Road, past Laksi, along Ramindra all the way to Minburi. Not going into the city center, and the only interchange I can think of will be with the new Don Muang airport link.

I see a comment that the existing airport link will open in August. I recently read that PM Mark had said that the link would be opened "before April". Has anyone got any firm information about an opening date?

Supposedly April is not auspicious enough. I swear that's what we were told at work, along with it's only the express that will be running at first- something about the local stations not ready yet. Like I said, I hope that's all wrong info. If anyone knows different, great.

As far as the immigration office, you might want to read this :)

Unless you are very young I wouldn't hope that it get finish in time you can use it.....

UPDATE

BMA squabbles with MRTA over Skytrain's new Orange route

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand yesterday each laid claim to the newly-approved Orange route of the Skytrain system.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Theerachon Manomaipibul said the BMA was assigned by a Cabinet resolution in 2004 to operate the Green route, so if its Pran Nok stretch were taken over by the Orange route, the city should run it no matter who built it.

However, MRTA Governor Chukiat Photayanuvat said the Orange route was originally in the SRT's master plan but was adjusted to cut across the city at Phya Thai to Taling Chan to replace the Green route's extension to Pran Nok.

The BMA's request was not appropriate because the MRTA should get the job due to its potential, manpower and experience from building the subway.

Also some parts of the Orange route would be underground and link up with the MRTA's existing Blue subway route at the Cultural Centre Station, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Supposedly April is not auspicious enough. I swear that's what we were told at work, along with it's only the express that will be running at first- something about the local stations not ready yet. Like I said, I hope that's all wrong info. If anyone knows different, great.

As far as the immigration office, you might want to read this :)

Thanks - I think I was not making myself clear. I live near the new immigration office and my comment about the train not going into the city center was about it not helping much for those living in the center as it will be a purely suburban route. I'm not sure I'll live to see it LOL and there will be more traffic chaos in Chaengwattana when they start building it. At least you can be sure a station will be built right by the government center.

Immigration is now located on Chaengwattana Road in the new government center. The Pink line will go right past it.

TH

UPDATE

BMA squabbles with MRTA over Skytrain's new Orange route

By The Nation

Wow, it starts falling apart before it even begins. It would make sense for the BMA to bring in the MRTA group to consult on the part of the line that will go underground and under the river, but I guess that the egos of both are too large to fit in the same room...

Sad. As I said, it would be nice if this could go forward. Maybe they need someone from a higher rank to decide for them?