How To Park A Honda Automatic In Neutral ?

regedit

I have a new Civic and perhaps it's the same method. There is a slot just in front of the shift lever that you put your key in. I insert the key in the slot and push down with it while pulling the shift lever back to neutral.

When I took delivery of the car the sales lady showed me how all the buttons worked and chances are if she didn't show me that I would be in the same position as you. :)

Do you have the owners manual? My owners manual tell's me how it's done.

I've got a Toyota and Honda, both are done differently... so... best to check the owners manual.

If you can't find it... let us know what year / make / model... maybe there is a pdf version somewhere on the internet.

I have a new Civic and perhaps it's the same method. There is a slot just in front of the shift lever that you put your key in. I insert the key in the slot and push down with it while pulling the shift lever back to neutral.

When I took delivery of the car the sales lady showed me how all the buttons worked and chances are if she didn't show me that I would be in the same position as you. :)

Spot on that one!!!

I'm at a loss as to why you would want to park a car somewhere that they need to push it about ? If they do not have the key they cannot steer the vehicle so why not just leave the key with them if you really need to move it after parking ? Or am I missing something here ?

I'm at a loss as to why you would want to park a car somewhere that they need to push it about ? If they do not have the key they cannot steer the vehicle so why not just leave the key with them if you really need to move it after parking ? Or am I missing something here ?

You haven't parked in a parking garage then where all slots are full and other cars are parked "blocking" the cars parked correctly? Those cars that are "blocking" the other cars are left in neutral so that they may be pushed either direction in order to allow the parked cars out.

You haven't parked in a parking garage then where all slots are full and other cars are parked "blocking" the cars parked correctly? Those cars that are "blocking" the other cars are left in neutral so that they may be pushed either direction in order to allow the parked cars out.

As metisdead stated. Nearly any large shopping mall that I've been in with multi-tier parking has that option with lines indicating it also. First thing the parking attendant will ask is if "gear wahng?" when you use those spaces.

I have never known how to do this, I always very politely tell the attendants that It is not possible to a put CRV in N because of the 4WD and they always find me a spot where it does not have to be pushed around. :)

From another site that explains one purpose of having an alternative way to put it in neutral. Usually for emergencies if necessary to move the car if electrics are damaged. This is for an accord.

"What you have is a safety switch, wich is why when the car is running you need to step on the brake to release the shifter from park. the switch is electric, and therefore isn't working because your battery is dead. Now, for the good news. Next to your shifter there should be a little plug, or a slot about the size of your door lock key hole. Insert your key into the slot, press down lightly, and then you can take the car out of park. That is called your "shift lock release""

As this OP said, We also have a CRV and Civic they both have small slot near the stick shift after you park and take the key out then you can use the key to inset into the slot and they you can move the shit to the neutral

Good luck

CRV and Civic they both have small slot near the stick shift after you park and take the key out then you can use the key to inset into the slot and they you can move the shit to the neutral

Exactly

And are a bloody nuisance

Nothing at all. I'm doing do it for many years and never had any problem with

Pretty damm inconsiderate just dumping your car and blocking other people in because you can't be arsed parking somewhere else. When a parking garage is full, there's a clue in there, it's full so park somewhere else.

Brigante7.

Edited by Brigante7

I have never seen this practice anywhere in the world, just imagine your ol' granny getting back to her car and your motor is in the way, she going to move it, it's bloody laziness.

Standard practice in most of Asia, parking full = park in neutral with the wheels straight so it can be shifted.

Most mall parking has attendants who will happily help get your car out (shame they also gave them whistles).

Be thankful you're not here in India where standard parking means 3 deep, locked and in-gear. If you want to get out, lean on the horn until the vehicle owners deign to come and move them. Grrrrrr :)

I used to go to Karachi a lot where they use forklift trucks to move any car parked badly.

Be thankful you're not here in India where standard parking means 3 deep, locked and in-gear. If you want to get out, lean on the horn until the vehicle owners deign to come and move them. Grrrrrr sad.gif

My "bloody nuisance" comment is about lazy peoples parking

It's about parking space. When I come back home I have to park my car on neutral gear not just because I'm lazy but just because there is no empty space at all.

And this kind of parking system smart enough

Edited by Grant

And so what happens when you have to push a car out of the way to get your car out and the car you have pushed hits another car?

Brigante7.

That simply doesn't happen if you push it slowly. I don't think many of us here have the musculature to apple enough force to get a car moving fast enough to cause any damage in the short one or two metre distance between cars parked that way, even intentionally.

This is standard practise in Thailand. It's not because we cannot be arsed to find a proper space. There simply aren't enough to go around in many car parks. I've personally never been in a situation where there wasn't enough space to push the car behind me out of the way, and it takes no more than 30 seconds to do it. As another poster stated, most carparks have attendants who will gladly do it for you. If you don't want to employ this technique, then you better take a taxi.

Edited by bubba

And so what happens when you have to push a car out of the way to get your car out and the car you have pushed hits another car?

Brigante7.

That simply doesn't happen if you push it slowly. I don't think many of us here have the musculature to apple enough force to get a car moving fast enough to cause any damage in the short one or two metre distance between cars parked that way, even intentionally.

This is standard practise in Thailand. It's not because we cannot be arsed to find a proper space. There simply aren't enough to go around in many car parks. I've personally never been in a situation where there wasn't enough space to push the car behind me out of the way, and it takes no more than 30 seconds to do it. As another poster stated, most carparks have attendants who will gladly do it for you. If you don't want to employ this technique, then you better take a taxi.

Sorry, but thats complete crap. As the guy says, you push it and damage it your in all kinds of sh_t with everyone claiming, trying to make money. It's taboo for a farang to touch any ones motor. In Big C theres one guy covering a vast area and it's a pain to get something moved. It's laziness cos you don't want to walk a few metres to the shop door. l have been to Big C, half empty car park, and plonkers have blocked cars in just to be near the door. No thought for others :D

Well, I won't debate your eloquent reply and observations. I'll only say that I have been parking my car for years and naturally would prefer to get a real parking spot, but it's simply not always possible since all the spots are taken, including the Big C that I patronise. If you the Big C that you park at has a lot of "plonkers" double parked with a half-empty car park and spaces where you can park your car, then what exactly is your complaint about that?

And the part about "taboo for a farang to touch anyones' motor"? :)

I do think you will be much happier taking a taxi and thereby avoiding potential problems with your blood pressure.