Snake

MonsieurHulot

Don't count on the cat to know if the snake is safe. All the cat knows is that the snake is moving in a tempting fashion. I, too, believed the old myth that a cat would know if a snake is safe until I found our cats playing with a highly poisonous coral snake when we lived south of Houston. Fortunately, the coral snake, while highly poisonous, isn't aggressive and I got the cats away from the snake in time.

Don't count on the cat to know if the snake is safe. All the cat knows is that the snake is moving in a tempting fashion. I, too, believed the old myth that a cat would know if a snake is safe until I found our cats playing with a highly poisonous coral snake when we lived south of Houston. Fortunately, the coral snake, while highly poisonous, isn't aggressive and I got the cats away from the snake in time.

I don't know if cats know about poisonous snakes, but most cats understand that anything that can bite can hurt. Many years ago when I lived in Florida I found the family cat carefully killing a coral snake while her kittens sat in a circle around the snake and watched. The mother cat would wait patiently until she could reach around behind the head of the snake and claw out a patch of skin. I got a shovel and finished the snake, which was already so injured it was unlikely to survive. A cat with good instincts can handle a small snake, and is smart enough to avoid snakes too big to handle. Although a cat who's mother never taught it how to hunt or other survival skills might have a problem with any size snake.

I don't know if cats know about poisonous snakes, but most cats understand that anything that can bite can hurt. Many years ago when I lived in Florida I found the family cat carefully killing a coral snake while her kittens sat in a circle around the snake and watched. The mother cat would wait patiently until she could reach around behind the head of the snake and claw out a patch of skin. I got a shovel and finished the snake, which was already so injured it was unlikely to survive. A cat with good instincts can handle a small snake, and is smart enough to avoid snakes too big to handle. Although a cat who's mother never taught it how to hunt or other survival skills might have a problem with any size snake.

having lived in Florida for 15 years i made the mistake of killing two "coral snakes". when i showed them to my american neighbour he lectured me that i killed completely harmless "scarlet snakes" which have a near identical coloured banding. his advice was (which i forgot and had to google for it)

coral snake: "Red touch yellow, kill a fellow." and scarlet snake: "Red touch black, friend of Jack."