What Should My Girlfriend Study To Get A Decent Job In Canada?

Neole

This is a bit awkward - my girlfriend has done 2 years college in English and Japanese language. Then she left college for 4 years. Now she is 25 and plans to complete her degree.

Does anyone know if she can change her subject? She says she can, but Im not so sure..

And if she can, what should she study to be able to get a decent job in Canada?

Dunno how long it will take her but Nursing is the very best option. She will need to score about 7.0 on an IELTS academic and then probably have to repeat her practicum in Canada.

Thanks for the information. Though I do suspect nursing would be a full 4 year course.

Any other options like accounts/cooking etc that can assure an average job in canada?

What is her prof. in English, can she pass an IELTS?

In the states you have a 2 or 4 year option for nursing, you can also work as an aide during this time and make decent money. Upon graduating a 2 year degree it is not uncommon to see pay of about $20-22/hr. While our standard of living is similar, I do not know how this would work out in Canada's healthcare system.

A 4 year program begins to open more doors and can be done after a 2 year program.

nursing is a field that is always in need and always pays well, but it require a strong desire, it's not a choice casually made.

Anything accounting or typing based, she will have to meet standards in those fields.

Waitressing can bring in decent money. My wife did not want to do this. But we agreed that she works while I finish my second degree and now soon she will go for her MS ED.

In a highly populated area, such as D.C. it is not uncommon for a waitress in the restaurants to walk away with 300+ a good night.

The added social circle and access to Thai food is also a bonus.

I also have Thai friends who run food trucks (think sausage egg and cheese on bagels etc) outside of a university and bring in more than the Professors working there!

Perhaps you can find other Thais in the area who can give suggestions.

Good luck to you and your wife, it can be a tiring process to figure out a new life in a new land. :)

Are you asking about getting a degree in thailand before you go to canada ? If you are why waste the money and time ? It would be better used for the expenses of getting her into canada and letting her study there.

Wont degree in canada be much more expensive?

What is her prof. in English, can she pass an IELTS?

In the states you have a 2 or 4 year option for nursing, you can also work as an aide during this time and make decent money. Upon graduating a 2 year degree it is not uncommon to see pay of about $20-22/hr. While our standard of living is similar, I do not know how this would work out in Canada's healthcare system.

A 4 year program begins to open more doors and can be done after a 2 year program.

nursing is a field that is always in need and always pays well, but it require a strong desire, it's not a choice casually made.

Anything accounting or typing based, she will have to meet standards in those fields.

Waitressing can bring in decent money. My wife did not want to do this. But we agreed that she works while I finish my second degree and now soon she will go for her MS ED.

In a highly populated area, such as D.C. it is not uncommon for a waitress in the restaurants to walk away with 300+ a good night.

The added social circle and access to Thai food is also a bonus.

I also have Thai friends who run food trucks (think sausage egg and cheese on bagels etc) outside of a university and bring in more than the Professors working there!

Perhaps you can find other Thais in the area who can give suggestions.

Good luck to you and your wife, it can be a tiring process to figure out a new life in a new land. :)

Thanks for the detailed advise. I think you are talking of degree in canada though regarding nursing. I would like her to get a degree in thailand before she goes to canada.

Waitressing etx would be a good option if she doesnt have a degree.

^ Actually, not worthless at all. Hospitals in the US are actively recruiting nurses from overseas to make up for the shortage of domestic workers. As has been pointed out, she would have to pass a fairly rigorous English exam, but her basic Nursing Degree will be recognized overseas.

^ Actually, not worthless at all. Hospitals in the US are actively recruiting nurses from overseas to make up for the shortage of domestic workers. As has been pointed out, she would have to pass a fairly rigorous English exam, but her basic Nursing Degree will be recognized overseas.

In the USA she would also have to pass the NYCLEX (sp).

BTW why is this in the Teaching in Thailand forum and not general?

I'm sorry, What I meant to say is that if her English at the level required to pass the tests tests, she should study it while in Thailand. Then she could do a 2 year program in Canada. In the US a 2 year program is super cheap, like a few grand a year. In fact my state university is only $10,000 a year. Waitressing and an expectation of a 40K/year doesn't make student loans too worrisome.

I would have her take one f the tests now, like an IELTS, TOEFL, etc and go from there.

Again, while the US and Canada are similar, I am only able to base my thoughts off what I know.

Are you asking about getting a degree in thailand before you go to canada ? If you are why waste the money and time ? It would be better used for the expenses of getting her into canada and letting her study there.

A valid point, most western countries don't recognize Thai degrees (for good reason).

A valid point, most western countries don't recognize Thai degrees (for good reason).

Exactly, they often use wes .org to look at your degree. I highly doubt any classes from my wife's masters program at Payap will help towards her new degree here in the US.

U.S. and Canadian requirements are quite different.

Waitressing could be difficult to get legally, as there are lots of Canadians "qualified" for that work.

And the Thai degree in nursing wouldn't give much of anything, other than perhaps a bit of a start at a Canadian nursing degree. Wouldn't even be able to use it to work as an aide, as lots of Canadians are "qualified" for that work.

I do have some friends involved in nursing and education in Canada if you want to PM me for further info regarding that field, but I doubt if she'd manage a job without local, i.e. Canadian, qualifications.

I'm sorry, What I meant to say is that if her English at the level required to pass the tests tests, she should study it while in Thailand. Then she could do a 2 year program in Canada. In the US a 2 year program is super cheap, like a few grand a year. In fact my state university is only $10,000 a year. Waitressing and an expectation of a 40K/year doesn't make student loans too worrisome.

I would have her take one f the tests now, like an IELTS, TOEFL, etc and go from there.

Again, while the US and Canada are similar, I am only able to base my thoughts off what I know.

Well her english isnt bad as she did her first two years of college in english and japanese. Im sure she can get a 6 in IELTS/TOEFL but I dont think she would be able to pass a nursing test in english if she gets her degree in thailand. There are simply too many technical terms in the subject.

Also I think nursing would be a wrong field for her.. she seems to prefers something writing/typing based.

She also says she would like to learn cooking and work in that field. But right now shes a very ordinary cook so I dont have too much faith in that!

U.S. and Canadian requirements are quite different.

Waitressing could be difficult to get legally, as there are lots of Canadians "qualified" for that work.

And the Thai degree in nursing wouldn't give much of anything, other than perhaps a bit of a start at a Canadian nursing degree. Wouldn't even be able to use it to work as an aide, as lots of Canadians are "qualified" for that work.

I do have some friends involved in nursing and education in Canada if you want to PM me for further info regarding that field, but I doubt if she'd manage a job without local, i.e. Canadian, qualifications.

Is there a degree/course for waitressing? I didnt know that!

I also agree that a thai nursing degree wont work for her.

Could you tell me about getting a government job if she learns french now?

The nursing course in thailand is 5 years long.. thats simply too long. I would like her to shift in 2-3 years maximum.

Learn French for a good Govt job.

Is it easy to get a government job? She would love to learn french.

Failing that she could work for Air Canada or play hockey. Thai Embassy perhaps?

So French would open up a lot more job prospects for her?

(Hockey??)

Learn French for a good Govt job.

Is it easy to get a government job? She would love to learn french.

Failing that she could work for Air Canada or play hockey. Thai Embassy perhaps?

So French would open up a lot more job prospects for her?

(Hockey??)

Hockey part was a joke mate. But if she wants to work in the Fed Gov, it's a must. What part of Canada? If she was moving to Hong Couver, Cantonese would be good.

Quebec? French but make sure to speak the incorrect dialect.

Failing that, have her learn American. Biggest Trade Partner ya know, eh.

Hockey part was a joke mate. But if she wants to work in the Fed Gov, it's a must. What part of Canada? If she was moving to Hong Couver, Cantonese would be good.

Quebec? French but make sure to speak the incorrect dialect.

Failing that, have her learn American. Biggest Trade Partner ya know, eh.

Thanks, she loves the idea of learning french already.