Ais Prepaid Data/net

eek

Today I bought 100 baht of prepaid ais net access.

I received a sms saying:

Welcome to mobileNET Package (Domestic only). You will get 20Hrs mobile Net 100B (Exclude VAT) a month. Privilege for you. unlimited FreeDownload http://wap blah blah link

I would like to know a couple of things please..

When i click the link my mobile asks me if i want to search for WLAN or use WAP services "AIS-GPRS-1.WAP", or AIS-GPRS-4.Streaming (which comes under uncategorised access point). Which access point do i use?

How can i keep a check on minutes used?

Will 100 baht now automatically be deducted from my phone top up each month, or do i need to manually do it each month?

Thank you!

Ok, been doing some hunting around the net, and i have a horrible feeling i was given wrong/bad advice at the AIS counter. I explained that i have a freedom sim card but i want to have some kind of data package for my phone. I asked her how i can do this. She showed me a flyer in Thai and said that i can just convert data time onto my sim. Then she dialled up the number for me and 100 baht was loaded. But..after hunting around the net, they all talk about the netsim, which i do not have.

Was the advice at the counter correct?

I can ask them again when the counter opens, but would be good to have some background info so i know what im talking about, rather than possibly feeling confused and fobbed off. Plus i have a really bad dose of insomnia ..so typing this helps pass the time...

Edited by eek

Hi You do not require a special sim card. Simply call 1175 and ask for the package you want. You used to get 30 hours for 119 baht, 250 hours for 520 baht and unlimited for 1000 baht all per month. You need to make sure you have enough money on the sim for them to top it up every moth or you will be charged a standard rate of 1 baht per minute. To check your balance simply dial *139 send and it will tell you how many minutes you have left. :)

You will be billed 100 Baht/month, for which you'll get 1200 minutes (20 hours) of internet access.

If not enough credit on your simcard at the end of the period, you'll receive a text message saying that your package could not be extended due to insufficient credit.

Buy a regular one2call top up card, and once the top up is done the package will be re-activated automatically.

To check how many minutes you have left dial *139#. A little message will pop up with how many minutes you still have.

I guess you got exactly what you wanted!

The price is actually 107 Baht (they add 7% vat), and remember when your minutes run out you will not notice, internet will keep working BUT they will deduct 1.07 Baht from your credit for every minute you are on-line!

Not sure I understand you.

Do you want to use your phone as an internet modem (for your laptop or PC), or do you want to access the internet on your phone, i.e. wap sites etc.?

The link you got in that sms message is only some promotion/advertising, no need to click on it at all.

Sry..will try to explain better.

its just for net on my phone.

My phone has a net icon. When i click it to go to the internet, it asks me how i want to connect to the net. One option is via wifi (which i use at home), but the other options are AIS-GPRS-1.WAP, or (via "uncatorgorized access point") AIS-GPRS-4.Streaming.

I want to make sure that I connect through the correct access point so that im using my data minutes and not my regular pre-paid minutes.

..Hope im explaining well enough. :S

Thanks.

Sry..will try to explain better.

its just for net on my phone.

My phone has a net icon. When i click it to go to the internet, it asks me how i want to connect to the net. One option is via wifi (which i use at home), but the other options are AIS-GPRS-1.WAP, or (via "uncatorgorized access point") AIS-GPRS-4.Streaming.

I want to make sure that I connect through the correct access point so that im using my data minutes and not my regular pre-paid minutes.

..Hope im explaining well enough. :S

Thanks.

It shouldn't matter.

Any GPRS activity, whether it is browsing, retrieving MMS messages or whatever will be deducted from the GPRS hours of your package.

As said, dialing *139# should bring up a message box with your remaining minutes, and *121# brings up your top up credit remaining, doing this you could easily check if the usage is being deducted correctly.

Cheers monty!

Love that *139# number!! Sorry, for whatever reason i seemed to have missed that on your previous post. I guess i was just focusing on whether or not i was logging in correctly.

Thanks so much.

• 1 month later...

But do do DO be careful here or you'll discover that your data time has mysteriously disappeared!

I've been experimenting with different ways to use a data package on my (any) mobile phone. I've used the same data package that you're talking about (AIS data) and discovers that my data minutes mysteriously disappear.

I've used this with a Win Mobile device and on a BBerry, accessing the WWW/email and also using both phones as an occasional modem with my laptop when outside the house.

Both phones accessed data without my being aware of this. The HTC was the worst as one program or another was always trying to update itself. or checking emails every 5 minutes. So I got a little prg to turn data access on and off. And here's the niggle.

I got to the point where I removed my battery overnight. And when I checked the data minutes left 15-20 minutes had evaporated by the morning. (I'm certain this is a ploy by AIS to force people onto an unlimited plan at a higher monthly cost!)

However it's swings and roundabouts as I now use my BBerry exclusively wit the AIS BBerry data plan. Here they give you an option of unlimited data time for something like 1,000B a month or you can opt for a 300B email only package. BUT this somehow also gives you unlimited internet access!

So for 300 a month you have unlimited access - BUT put your SIM in a BBerry and sign up for the package - then put it back in your own phone again once registered. You won't be able to use your phone as a modem or get push mail, but you WILL get unlimited data access!

But don't let the package slip! Once expired you'll need to contact AIS service again to start a new package and unless your SIM is in a BBerry phone you wont get it. So just remember to top up before the expiry date each month!

R