Anti-Corruption Commission Awarded For Government Transparency

webfact

NACC recognized for Government Transparency

gallery_327_1086_5350.jpg

BANGKOK: -- (NNT) – Hong Kong's Public Affairs Asia Magazine has bestowed the Gold Standard Award in Government Transparency for 2009 to the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) of Thailand.

Speaking about the award, National Anti-Corruption Commissioner Prof Pakdee Pothisiri stated that the NACC was selected to receive the award for its outstanding performance in terms of transparency promotion in the international level. He added that the award was a proof that the NACC seriously dealt with corruption.

Prof Pakdee continued to say that the award would also provide a very good opportunity to enhance the positive image of the country after its transparency was found to decline last year. Thailand ranked 84th in the Corruption Perceptions Index report released by the Transparency International.

In addition, the commissioner noted the award also suited the policy of the NACC this year designated as the year of transparency. He said the NACC would use the award to encourage moral and transparency as well as suppress corruption activities for an ethical and moral-based society.

Other two shortlisted candidates for the award are Ogilvy Public Affairs in Beijing of China for the "Tales of Hope"–China's National Population and Family Planning Commission's Communication Strategy and the Corruption Eradication Commission of Indonesia.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-02-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

So good i read it three times!!

""Speaking about the award, National Anti-Corruption Commissioner Prof Pakdee Pothisiri stated that the NACC was selected to receive the award for its outstanding performance in terms of transparency promotion in the international level. He added that the award was a proof that the NACC seriously dealt with corruption.

Prof Pakdee continued to say that the award would also provide a very good opportunity to enhance the positive image of the country after its transparency was found to decline last year. Thailand ranked 84th in the Corruption Perceptions Index report released by the Transparency International.

In addition, the commissioner noted the award also suited the policy of the NACC this year designated as the year of transparency. He said the NACC would use the award to encourage moral and transparency as well as suppress corruption activities for an ethical and moral-based society.""

:):D:D

I think this just goes to show that in the current political climate anything in Thailand could happen, and some things that we percieve to be clear ie: transparent!! may not be as crystal as first thought....LOL!!

Edited by NADTATIDA1

Surely this must be a joke.

What about the head of Chonbury police that just got shafted for being on the take, what about the Sophon Cable TV using COPY DVD movies etc etc, yes you are right what a joke. :)

The Chonburi police officer is not a member of the NACC. Actually the fact that he got caught and this was made public suggests that the anti-corruption units in Thailand are doing their job. Sophon Cable? What does this have to do with anything?

Even if this were true, when the files get handed to the prosecutor's office, Thailand's corruption culture kicks in again, with a little help from well placed polliticians and - if it ever gets as far as court before the "misunderstanding" is cleared up - then the juduciary can also smooth the process to an acquittal/dropped charge.

Kinda ironic that everyone on here moans about corruption and then when some body does enough about corruption to get noticed and commended abroad that everyone criticses it. Guess there are no believers on TV who think you have to start somewhere.

Corruption is part of the reason why so many foreigners come to live here. Last time I checked prostituion was illegal here in Thailand.

Thanks to corruption, it doesn't matter.

You do have to start somewhere. But you usually have to start small and go from there.

Handing out an award for anti-corruption. You can see why people don't take this seriously.

Let's face it ... the current constitution IS a bit less democratic than the previous one (that failed to work in the crunch). That being said it did strengthen the checks and balances on the Executive Branch of the government. (Even the coup critics agree on this one)

This shows that some of the strength required in a democracy is returning to Thailand. I hope it continues.

Let's face it ... the current constitution IS a bit less democratic than the previous one (that failed to work in the crunch). That being said it did strengthen the checks and balances on the Executive Branch of the government. (Even the coup critics agree on this one)

This shows that some of the strength required in a democracy is returning to Thailand. I hope it continues.

Why do you people keep talking about democracy and Thailand in the same breath?Take a good look around you, what do you see same old propoganda pictures everywhere. Look at who runs the country, not the politicians but the military, why waste your time even thinking of the word democracy when thinking of Thailand ? I suggest that if you want to enjoy life here you should be a bit more like my Thai friends and just accept its not your business or your problem and why be serious anyway?

This award makes perfect sense. It's about transparency. All this means is that they get an award for corruption being so common place that they don't have to try to hide it, hence the transparency. :)

Last time I checked prostituion was illegal here in Thailand.

Correction, prostitution was made illegal in 1960 due to international pressure, i.e. to "save face." It is accepted and even regulated not because of corruption but because there is too much money involved for the country, and is in such demand that in could not be stopped even if they wanted to.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

This award makes perfect sense. It's about transparency. All this means is that they get an award for corruption being so common place that they don't have to try to hide it, hence the transparency. :)

Correction, prostitution was made illegal in 1960 due to international pressure, i.e. to "save face." It is accepted and even regulated not because of corruption but because there is too much money involved for the country, and is in such demand that in could not be stopped even if they wanted to.

What????? Prostituion is illegal. That's a fact. Doesn't matter how and why, it's illegal here!

Prostitution could never be stopped? Niether can most crimes. They'll always happen. All you can do is punish people for commiting them and realistically hope to lower the number of crimes that occur i.e rape, prostituion, murder etc

Do the people who run go-go bars have to pay the police in order to keep them running? Yes! That's called corruption.

What a ridiculous reply.

Is this the same group who, in a newspaper interview, a couple weeks ago said " only 14 of the 140+ government departments have had corruption allegations reported to us"?

ummmmm possibly ..So your point would be?

How many people in Thailand do you think report corruption .. and when they do how many agencies do you think they report it about?

If they had said There is only corruption in 10% of all agencies, THEN I would raise an eyebrow.

What????? Prostituion is illegal. That's a fact. Doesn't matter how and why, it's illegal here!

Prostitution could never be stopped? Niether can most crimes. They'll always happen. All you can do is punish people for commiting them and realistically hope to lower the number of crimes that occur i.e rape, prostituion, murder etc

Do the people who run go-go bars have to pay the police in order to keep them running? Yes! That's called corruption.

What a ridiculous reply.

Maybe you felt it was rediculous because you didn't read what I wrote correctly, and/or maybe you haven't spent much time in Thailand. How prostitution evolved it absolutely relevant. You need to understand the context. Things are not black and white here as you describe. I said, twice, prostitution was illegal. However, you can't even begin to compare prostitution to other the other crimes you mentioned such as rape and murder. Talk about ridiculous.

Nearly every business here pays the police or other government officials money to stay operating. The fact that they have bargirls working there matters very little in this respect because, as I said, it's tolerated.

So what is the going rate for an award like this?

LOL that would be ironic. Bribing the editors to concoct an anti-corruption "award" on behalf of the briber. :)

I congratulate them, though for me, any Miss Universe was never the most beautiful woman. Beauty is in the eyes of the judges.

Absolute media whores would believe the award is given for 'something' and not to make the current government look like nice guys, we are a G20 nation now, gotta keep a good image for the sake of image..

Touching corruption, the Democrats took what, 238m Baht from some petro-chemical company to get concessions ? No there is no corrupt government... They face dissolution because of that... LOL ... awards for the show, opium for the people...

It's all good, stay calm, return to your business. So 'transparent'

The award is not given for being perfect, it is given for doing the best they can.

And given the current and past state of it here, this award shows that more is done now than in the past.

What a ridiculous reply.

Maybe you felt it was rediculous because you didn't read what I wrote correctly, and/or maybe you haven't spent much time in Thailand. How prostitution evolved it absolutely relevant. You need to understand the context. Things are not black and white here as you describe. I said, twice, prostitution was illegal. However, you can't even begin to compare prostitution to other the other crimes you mentioned such as rape and murder. Talk about ridiculous.

Nearly every business here pays the police or other government officials money to stay operating. The fact that they have bargirls working there matters very little in this respect because, as I said, it's tolerated.

No, it's not relevent. Prostitution is a crime. (I don't care how it started) How do you get around this crime? With corruption. This is my point! What happens to me if I get arrested for curb-crawling? Highly unlikely, but conceivable. 'Officer, do you know why prostitution is illegal? It was all about saving face back in the good ol' days'

'Really? Nothing to do with its connection to human trafficking? Well then on your way son!' (Obviously not before paying some tea money. My point goes on and on)

And in a country like Thailand where some girls are forced into prostitution, yes, I can compare it to any crime.

I'm not saying if a girl wants to sell her body it's right or wrong. I'm simply saying it's a crime which is accepted because of man's need and 'corruption'

Thailand is one of the most corrupt places in the world, it is well known tha poor people whom might voice this will probably end up as land fill, lets face facts and start from the top, the current government are happy to dilude themselves that they were actually elected by the people, wrong they were pushed in the back door by the elite for thier own gain.