Where To Rent Dvds In Chiang Mai ?

healthcaretaker

It's North. NE corner; inside road. About 100 meters from the corner. Big Sign " Movies". Greensides Map has it No 1 on his list of sites and he says it's the best. I disagree.I know a better one and cheaper. They also let you keep the DVD's for 7 days at my place instead of only a measly 4 days.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp....005356&spn

My one is 289, Suthep Road. I can't really locate it with certainty, but travelling West along the Suthep Road its on the Left at one of the road junctions.I don't think its the 121 junction;probably the next traffic lights. And unfortunately its not actualy on the Suthep Road despite its address.Its just a bit round the corner at the ? junction.

Its a small shop but hidden away on shelves at the back are loads of Catalogues which you can browse, with a great selection of movies.. Nothing like that at the other shop.Its best to join and pay for a package. I guess I'm paying about 25 baht per Video compared to 50 baht at the other place.

Edited by Asmerom

Hi,

Thank very much. I am more into foreign movies like Europeans, Japanese, etc. Will this Suthep shop have such movies ?

I must visit this shop but which junction is it ?

Is it at the Th Sirimankhalajan or Th Nimasnhaemin junction ? Or after the CMU ?

How far is it to walk from the moat ?

How do I describe this place to the songtheaw driver if it is too far to walk ?

It's North. NE corner; inside road. About 100 meters from the corner. Big Sign " Movies". Greensides Map has it No 1 on his list of sites and he says it's the best. I disagree.I know a better one and cheaper. They also let you keep the DVD's for 7 days at my place instead of only a measly 4 days.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp....005356&spn

My one is 289, Suthep Road. I can't really locate it with certainty, but travelling West along the Suthep Road its on the Left at one of the road junctions.I don't think its the 121 junction;probably the next traffic lights. And unfortunately its not actualy on the Suthep Road despite its address.Its just a bit round the corner at the ? junction.

Its a small shop but hidden away on shelves at the back are loads of Catalogues which you can browse, with a great selection of movies.. Nothing like that at the other shop.Its best to join and pay for a package. I guess I'm paying about 25 baht per Video compared to 50 baht at the other place.

I concur with Asmerom.

The referred outlet on Suthep Road is on the corner with that road which takes one to Wing 41 / the Airport.

It on the LEFT of Suthep Road as you head west (ie heading towards Doi Suthep). It is slightly after & opposite the intersection with Nimmanhamin Road.

Good luck

I hear it's good and know that they stock a wide range but find that browsing through a book is somehow less inspiring for me than checking out what's on the shelves so never made the effort to dig deep enough. I'll add it to my map since it gets a general thumbs up.

Edited by Greenside

What it means by browsing a book ?

Only the titles are shown in the book or the covers of the dvd as well ?

All the information you need is displayed in the dozens of Catalogues with the DVD covers spread out. Lots of foreign movies. Lots of old movies. Lots of classic movies. Lots of everything. Go and explore.

"Browse" : to dip into,to look through, to graze, to nibble, to check out, to peruse, to read, to scan, to give the once over. OK?

The referred outlet on Suthep Road is on the corner with that road which takes one to Wing 41 / the Airport.

It on the LEFT of Suthep Road as you head west (ie heading towards Doi Suthep). It is slightly after & opposite the intersection with Nimmanhamin Road.

Good luck

I recommend this place too.

What it means by browsing a book ?

Only the titles are shown in the book or the covers of the dvd as well ?

All the information you need is displayed in the dozens of Catalogues with the DVD covers spread out. Lots of foreign movies. Lots of old movies. Lots of classic movies. Lots of everything. Go and explore.

"Browse" : to dip into,to look through, to graze, to nibble, to check out, to peruse, to read, to scan, to give the once over. OK?

What do you need to provide for membership?

Sorry, can't remember.I hardly ever carry ID in my wallet so I imagine a Credit Card with your name on it would suffice. But can't be sure.053-808084 9am---10pm.There's only one girl who understands a bit of english so if she's not there you're sunk, without Thai assistance.Of course, if your open wallet reveals bunches of dosh proof of identity might seem less important.

Edited by Asmerom

Sorry, can't remember.I hardly ever carry ID in my wallet so I imagine a Credit Card with your name on it would suffice. But can't be sure.053-808084 9am---10pm.There's only one girl who understands a bit of english so if she's not there you're sunk, without Thai assistance.Of course, if your open wallet reveals bunches of dosh proof of identity might seem less important.

Thanks, I'll bring the wife and a couple of bits of ID :)

I just phone them. A young guy can speak applicable English.

Rental per movie is 60 Baht, or buy coupons of 200 Baht for 4 movies. Not cheap. To get 30Baht per movie, you need to buy 1500 baht worth of coupons. Name of the shop is DVD, Film and Books. Tell your driver to stop at "Gad Ton Pe Yom" along Th Suthep. Hope my pronounciation is correct :)

Will check it later today.

Rental per movie is 60 Baht, or buy coupons of 200 Baht for 4 movies. Not cheap. To get 30Baht per movie, you need to buy 1500 baht worth of coupons. Name of the shop is DVD, Film and Books. Tell your driver to stop at "Gad Ton Pe Yom" along Th Suthep. Hope my pronounciation is correct :)

Just went to this shop and spent nearly the whole afternnoon there.

This shop has more good movies than anywhere else in Asia, and not much of Hollywood craps !! The owner really has good taste for movies ! So is the male staff who speak English. I tested him to recommend me the good movies from each catalogue book and he is accurate !!

Nearly every movie that I could not buy elsewhere is found here.

Some correction to my previous post.

For first-timer, you need to pay a REg fee of 300 Baht and 3 movies coupon given, then you can choose from a few packages. I went for the 1500 Baht package which I get 75 movies.

Looks like I will be coming back to Chiang Mai more often than I expect. :D

This shop has more good movies than anywhere else in Asia, and not much of Hollywood craps !! The owner really has good taste for movies ! So is the male staff who speak English. I tested him to recommend me the good movies from each catalogue book and he is accurate !!

For first-timer, you need to pay a REg fee of 300 Baht and 3 movies coupon given, then you can choose from a few packages. I went for the 1500 Baht package which I get 75 movies.

Do you know if they carry TV series?

Thanks.

Thanks.

They have a lot of the popular TV series such as lost etc, but they charge per disc so it works out expensive if there is say 20 discs to a series.

Edited by thaimiller

Thanks.

Yes, but mostly newer series. I saw Rome, and many new names but no old series like Dallas, Poirot, Sherlock Homes, Columbo, etc.

The oldest is probably Twilight Zone, Bionic Woman, Twin Peaks.

Their French movies, Criterion Collections, and Chinese, Japanese movies are wide.