Brisbane Or Darwin?

Depends what your lifestyle desire is

Brisbane being larger is more cosmopolitan.

Rents and property costs higher and less tropical than darwin.

Also depends where you like to travel to and whether you need to work or not.

More jobs in Brisbane,unless you have a trade.

Darwin is growing in leaps and bounds,but I would prefer North Queensland....Cairns or Port Douglas.

All aspects considered, where would you choose to live, Brisbane or Darwin?

Bangkokian: I expect you will get a lot of replies from parochial Aussie members who will push their favourite city/town. Why are you limiting yourself to Brisbane and Darwin? My favourite capital city is Perth (the most isolated capital city in the world - 2700km west of Adelaide).

Here's a few Australian Cost of Living links that may interest you and other prospective immigrants:

Queensland

Tasmania

Adelaide

Sydney

International Cost of Living Calculator

/compcost.htm]Another Calculator - quite good

I hope these help - but please don't rule out living in regional Australia.

Peter

Edited by peter991

Darwin and Brisbane both have their unique features as does every city and major centre in oz, It all depends upon your personal requirements,give us more info and I am sure the TV members from Oz can give you some sound advice. (would we lead you astray :o )

Is there any place in Australia that isn't plagued by flies?

try working at Roxby Downs for a while and the flies aren't that bad in other places.

IMHO Darwin is more expensive than Brissy, best idea would be to have a holiday in both places and see which one grabs you. :o

Thanks for all the responses.

As for my requirements---

First of all I'd like to be able to get around by public transportation, and my impression is that Brisbane is pretty good in this regards. I don't know much about Darwin, but it seems to be a good place for start-ups. I'm thinking of getting a job in the tourism industry, or openning up a tiny biz, if possible.

Is Australia infested with flies? I've only been to Canberra, and passed through Sydney for a highschool drama trip, and didn't notice any fly then. It's the skin-cancer risk that ppl seemed to be quite concerned about down there--How serious is this really? How big is the hole in the Australian sky? Getting bigger by the day?

:o:D need to hide under the hat down there?

the tax rate is a sliding scale depending on your salary, but is fixed at 48% when you reach about 80,000 (I think) which is nearly twice that of the company rate, so start aa small business and get a good accountant to show you how to minimise your tax debt.

try working at Roxby Downs for a while and the flies aren't that bad in other places.

IMHO Darwin is more expensive than Brissy, best idea would be to have a holiday in both places and see which one grabs you. :D

Gaarn Bronco, You know there,s no flies on us Aussies :o

the tax rate is a sliding scale depending on your salary, but is fixed at 48% when you reach about 80,000 (I think) which is nearly twice that of the company rate, so start aa small business and get a good accountant to show you how to minimise your tax debt.

Just a word of advice... if you're setting up a small business in Oz the company tax is a flat rate of 30% on nett profit from dollar one. However, if you estimate your taxable income will be around A$55k p.a. setup as a Sole Trader as tax is a lot lower, also accounting fees for setup and annual tax return is a lot less than a company entity. Also be aware of the implications of 10% GST tax on your gross profit.

Brisbane isn't too bad :o

I relocated from Pattaya & currently live on the Sunshine Coast about one hour drive north of Brisbane; no flies

I live in Brisbane and have found it to be a great place to live,with public transport fairly good,with work available,the best weather in Australia and not lots to do in spare time with the Gold Coast 35 minutes away and Sunshine Coast not much further along with a quick getaway to Bangkok :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your resplies... I'll look into the scheme for sole trader. U of Queensland looks like a great place to study with campuses by the beaches. Don't think I'll matriculate in any uni program any time soon, but I already have plans for library hopping.

Hope I'll make it there some time soon...[

quote=Aussieguy,2005-05-11 03:35:47]

Brisbane isn't too bad :o

I relocated from Pattaya & currently live on the Sunshine Coast about one hour drive north of Brisbane; no flies

I live in Brisbane and have found it to be a great place to live,with public transport fairly good,with work available,the best weather in Australia and not lots to do in spare time with the Gold Coast 35 minutes away and Sunshine Coast not much further along with a quick getaway to Bangkok :D

Anywhere in Qld would be good.

Only one problem, that <deleted> Steve Irwin lives there. :o

Skin (sun) cancer is serious shit in Sinney, and yes, there is a bloody great hole above us.

What's it like in Qld for Skin C?

Edited by udon