Best Hotel In Nong Khai

Felt 35

No frills, dependable hotel. Pantawee Hotel. Won't change your life for good or ill. Just standard service, reasonable rates (haven't been in 3 years, though), VERY centrally located, that's probably its strongest point. Other than that, it's a low to mid star level Thai hotel to lay your head in for a few days in order to get out and see Nong Khai. They have a website as well.

Edited by calibanjr.

There are some nice looking hotels and guest houses along the river altho i have never stayed in them . The Pantawee , I stayed in aboyut 14 months ago . Nothing brilliant but nothing to complain about either.

There are some nice looking hotels and guest houses along the river altho i have never stayed in them . The Pantawee , I stayed in aboyut 14 months ago . Nothing brilliant but nothing to complain about either.

The wife & I stayed there last month, good place. FREE PC with internet connection in each room, plus FREE WiFi if you happen to bring your own. Lots of parking. Restaurant OK, included buffet breakfast isn't a whole lot to shout at but given the price, OK. FYI, I've stayed at the place now and then over the last 30 years when in town, much improved over that time.

Mac

How much do you want to pay ?

The big one here is Nongkhai Grand at the ringroad, reliable, the old lady.....

Phantawee is well known and good, centre of town.

Many (good and not so good) guesthouses at the Rim Khong road centre of town.

If you want good breakfast/restaurant service and guards than take the first two mentioned. They do not allow "short time".

Thanks to everyone for the info.

I found both Phantawee and Nong Khai Grand online.

Woould prefer to pay around 1500 plus/minus, more important for me is to get a good night sleep. Which one of the above is in the least noisy location. If I read the gps map correctly it seems Nong Khai is a bit outside the city center. How far to walk to minimarts,bank etc?

BTW, off topic but are there a good public swimming pool in the central area of Nong Khai?

Thanks to everyone for the info.

I found both Phantawee and Nong Khai Grand online.

Woould prefer to pay around 1500 plus/minus, more important for me is to get a good night sleep. Which one of the above is in the least noisy location. If I read the gps map correctly it seems Nong Khai is a bit outside the city center. How far to walk to minimarts,bank etc?

BTW, off topic but are there a good public swimming pool in the central area of Nong Khai?

For the NK Grand, it'd be 8-10 minutes walk to get to the downtown area or the river road.

Panthavee, five minutes or so, right out the door to the road, turn right a block and Danish eatery on your left. Go one block on towards the river for more.

Panthavee was quiet enough for me but if you want to be 100% sure, ask for one of the rooms in the back section.

Mac

Mut Mee Guesthouse. Tried-and-true lodging for the 7 years I've been here. River front coolness & view, with a good combination of western and Thai food. Reasonable. At the west end of town behind the hospital, along the river.

Mut Mee

1111/4 Kaeworawut Road

Nong Khai 43000

Thailand

Tel: +66 (0)126 126 46

Fax: +66 (0)42 460 717

E-mail: [email protected]

[email protected]

Web: www.mutmee.net

Don't know if your inquiry about the swimming pool relates to a different visit, but the NK Grand has a pool. Although the Pantawee is okay, it is a bit of a lottery as to whether you get a good room, and on my last few visits I've settled for the Grand. It is a bit of a walk from the town, but can be okay as a place to end the evening if you're planning to go out. The Music Room (lounge) can be entertaining on a good night, and there is a late night disco in a separate building at the back (haven't been for a few years though). There is also a Thai-style cafe with singers right opposite across the main road.

Swimmingpool, go west of the bridge. There are two big hotels, one is closed, but I think the Royal Jommanee has a pool in open air. Clean, nice, one shower, dress and undress in the toilet......no cabins....

Pay ? I think 100 baht per day, but you can buy a card for 3 months (I think 400 b or so) and than pay 20 baht for the towel. Local people swim in the river but I never do this. It is not clean.

• 1 month later...
Mut Mee Guesthouse. Tried-and-true lodging for the 7 years I've been here. River front coolness & view, with a good combination of western and Thai food. Reasonable. At the west end of town behind the hospital, along the river.

Mut Mee

1111/4 Kaeworawut Road

Nong Khai 43000

Thailand

Tel: +66 (0)126 126 46

Fax: +66 (0)42 460 717

E-mail: [email protected]

[email protected]

Web: www.mutmee.net

Our experience at the Mut Mee wasn't very good. A couple years back we stopped at the Mut Mee, intending to spending the night, and found the falang owner so rude we didn't bother to stay and continued on to Vientiane.

We are also taking a trip to Nong Khai in the near future, saw the Royal Mekong on line but no-one has mentioned it here, is it any good or are all the photos years old?

i stayed in the royal mekong about 4 months ago i think it was about 1000 a nite. room was clean, good breakfast, staff good, bit out of town but they will get you a tuk tuk no problem about 5-10 min ride into centre. has swimming pool to

i would stay there again

We are also taking a trip to Nong Khai in the near future, saw the Royal Mekong on line but no-one has mentioned it here, is it any good or are all the photos years old?

i stayed in the royal mekong about 4 months ago i think it was about 1000 a nite. room was clean, good breakfast, staff good, bit out of town but they will get you a tuk tuk no problem about 5-10 min ride into centre. has swimming pool to

i would stay there again

Daz; Thanks for the info.

Our experience at the Mut Mee wasn't very good. A couple years back we stopped at the Mut Mee, intending to spending the night, and found the falang owner so rude we didn't bother to stay and continued on to Vientiane.

Julian can indeed be a bit selective and does have a thing about falang men hanging out with Thai women. Were you travelling with a Thai woman and trying to check into the Mut Mee? That might be the reason he was rude. He tends to have a bias towards that-- western men with Thai women, in spite of his being married to a local.

Julian is a nice guy. Convince him that your lady is not a h@@ker and you have no problems with him. I know Julian for more than 15 years and he is just concerned about his place...and likes to avoid short time business. Right he is !

Julian is a nice guy. Convince him that your lady is not a h@@ker and you have no problems with him.  I know Julian for more than 15 years and he is just concerned about his place...and likes to avoid short time business. Right he is !

Agreed, he is a nice guy and is right to be concernecd about his place not becoming a dive. I'm only suggesting that might have been the reason the OP got the cold shoulder.