Ais And Dtac Aircards

jdub

Hi,

Coming to Thailand in March and considering these two carriers for air cards so I can have mobile Internet access where ever in the country. 

I see http://www.dtac.co.th/tha/package/dtac_internet.html - unlimited for 999 Baht and Im sure AIS is similar in price.

Does anyone know if they are compatible with Windows7 yet?

Also where is best place to purchase these in BKK?

Thanks!

Jdub

I just bought a "DTAC aircard, life is colorful" and yes they are compatible with Win7.

But I guess the link show sim cards, not the aircard device... so for the 999 I think you still have to use you mobile phone as a modem or buy an usb-aircard device to plug into your computer.

Martin

Edited by siamect

I just bought a "DTAC aircard, life is colorful" and yes they are compatible with Win7.

But I guess the link show sim cards, not the aircard device... so for the 999 I think you still have to use you mobile phone as a modem or buy an usb-aircard device to plug into your computer.

Martin

Not hijacking the thread but I am in the same problem

I have a USB vodafone wireless modem for my laptop and shifting to Phuket in April , I was going to use DTAC as they have signed a deal with vodafone and hoping all I had to do was buy a new sim card and use my vodafone wireless modem???

Not hijacking the thread but I am in the same problem

I have a USB vodafone wireless modem for my laptop and shifting to Phuket in April , I was going to use DTAC as they have signed a deal with vodafone and hoping all I had to do was buy a new sim card and use my vodafone wireless modem???

I don't see a problem with that... I think you can get a DTAC card (or any other card) and just plug it into any wireless modem...

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone using the "aircard device" by AIS, True or DTAC, and what upload and download speeds are you getting?

I'm currently getting a download speed of 1738 kbps and upload of 461, pinging off a Bangkok server. My service is by True through my apartment complex. I went to IT Square on Chang Wattana today. The AIS office had ads for their 3G aircard device, but no device and, of course, no 3G service [TIT]. I'm looking for a faster and possibly more cost effective service than my current service. Thanks, in advance.

You will not get anything faster then what you have now on a mobile hone network!

Your best bet would be to get your own ADSL line into your apartment.

Most of Thailand is still stuck on 2.75 G (Edge, down about 150 kbbs, up about 60 kbps). Even for the few lucky on 3G, it seems download speeds hover around 1 Mbps on average throughout the day.

FYI, 3G available in Bangkok from true (mainly around the skytrain routes) and TOT, which seems to have better coverage.

AIS has 3G in Chiang Mai and Bang Saen (Chonburi).

• 5 months later...

old thread I know..

which of the providers AIS and DTAC has the most stable internet when you use aircard?

Which one has the best coverage area?

I am going to use it as back up, so how long does it take to get online, when you click on the aircard program on your desktop?

If you are not going to be a heavy user your best bet for speed is TOT 3G. I get 3Mbps consistently with my USB Modem and Huawei B932 3G router (just plug a sim into it). TOT 3G coverage around Bangkok is quite extensive. If you have a work permit you can get a 1gb per month plan for 199 baht a month plus vat. I use that at work and never even get close to my 1gb allowance and the connections is always active. Of course if you want to download torrents forget about it as the data will go over 1gb with three one hour programs.

If you are not going to be a heavy user your best bet for speed is TOT 3G. I get 3Mbps consistently with my USB Modem and Huawei B932 3G router (just plug a sim into it). TOT 3G coverage around Bangkok is quite extensive. If you have a work permit you can get a 1gb per month plan for 199 baht a month plus vat. I use that at work and never even get close to my 1gb allowance and the connections is always active. Of course if you want to download torrents forget about it as the data will go over 1gb with three one hour programs.

TOT 3g works in places like phuket and krabi too?

I have the AIS edge and get max 360 up and 240 down. These are the max rates on average. I have no complaints as I live in Korat where we don't yet have 3G. Modem cost a grand and 100bht a month gives me 30 hours but I can top up with net packages.

THought about trying the Dtac also cos I use more than my months limit and wondered which was better.

Edge is good for me.