Russian Runners

sharecropper

they are probably private hiring because they dont know how the whole baht bus system works, just get on and go straight, get off at the next intersection and get the next bus going in your direction.

they probably ask the driver can they goto X location, rather than taking his 10b per person he says yeah, i'll take you there, bills them 200b.

I'm Russian and this is absolutely my case.

In 2007 during our the very first visiting Pattaya (and Thailand also) we stayed at 'Sheraton'.

After day tour in PTT I stopped baht bus in the street and asked the driver if I can get 'Sheraton' with his vehicle.

His answer was:

- How much will you pay?

As I payed in the morning 200 baht from Sheraton to Royal Garden Plaza I answered:

- 150. ( I intended to save some money...)

Right after that the driver went out from the car and asked/demanded all passengers to leave his tuk-tuk. About 6 people had to leave.

I was absolutely embarrassed but.. I took the bus to get my hotel.

I still remember this story...

I'm not sure I can answer your question: Is it scam or stupidity?

Edited by newsummerday

Thank you, Phil Conners!

Your pictures are good explanation for me.

Of course, I meant bahtbus. But all Russians call this vehicle 'tuk-tuk'.

So simple, just be patient and try to explain simple things to person which is not accustomed to these simple ( for you) things.

And you'll have better mutual understanding in more complicate issues in future.

Well, it is true that the percentage of Russian-speaking peoples in Pattaya is on the rise; and that these peoples usually do not intermingle with the English-speaking population here. It seems there is a slight, general view of racist and discriminate thought between the Russian-speaking peoples and the general, demographic populations of English-speaking peoples represented here in Pattaya. I base this view on the comments I have heard and read these past years as the Russian-speaking peoples have gradually made their presence known. I do mean this respectfully, of course.

With that preface being stated, my point is that:

A. These Russian-speaking peoples do not generally choose to intermingle with the existing population of expats. This population is mixed and varied and quite a useful resource to get information.

B. Hence, they are denied that degree of savvy advice to get along with the native population (i.e. "Don't do what I did"). While true that the Russian-speaking peoples do indeed have their forums where they can communicate; they are still being what I might view as "xenophobic", in that they stick with each other and do not step outside those boundaries. Maybe it is the language barrier that makes it so frustrating.

C. They will therefore be compelled to carve out a socially compatible and acceptable cohabitating niche with the native population all on their own, while the rest of us look on; and see them make the same mistakes we made.

On a cultural note, I learned from a man from Russia that it is considered rude to look too long at a Russian, and to even smile and say, "Hello". This friendly behavior will get you stern looks; because apparently if you do not have any business with a Russian, then you should not look at them too long or even say anything to them. They consider it rude. I did not know this but it makes sense why they never look at people too much and always cast their eyes away if they make eye contact.

I really enjoy the Russian-speaking peoples and their culture, and I wish them the best as they forge their way in this country. After they "loosen up" a bit, they are terrific people to be around. I do hope they reach out to the Thais and try to understand how to get along.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

Thank you, Phil Conners!

Your pictures are good explanation for me.

Of course, I meant bahtbus. But all Russians call this vehicle 'tuk-tuk'.

So simple, just be patient and try to explain simple things to person which is not accustomed to these simple ( for you) things.

And you'll have better mutual understanding in more complicate issues in future.

I think the Russians should be more familiar with the Baht Bus System, dont you have Marshrutkas back home? They do work similiar to Bahtbus, however you usually know where they go and you pay at the beginning.