International Driving Licence

Been driving 30 years plus in the UK. However I am colour blind to a degree on red/green does this mean I cannot get a thai driving licence?

John

John, the test is very cursory at the licence centre, I'm not even sure the guy understood my answers :o

If you get past the hospital medical 9where they may, or may not do the colour blindness test) I think you'll be fine.

DC

I agree to what crossy said, very cursory.

Red/Green color blindness is by far the most common form, about 99%, and causes problems in distinguishing reds and greens, but I do not think they will do an Ishihara test. Just point to some spots and yo reply red/green/yellow.

Mind you, driving in Thailand requires you to jump a red light.... :o or so it seems.

Just a short one in case there's anyone here (in UK) thinking of doing same thing. I phoned the AA who told me to get lost that they didn't do that any more. ...

Yes they do.

Odd, the AA website still has the details of how to apply (to them) by post and downloadable forms too:-

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html

Didn't phone the 'other' AA did you  :o  :D

:D

To: RDN

Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 3:17 PM

Subject: RE: International Driving Permit

Hi

I can assure you I am still running the section that issues them.  There are

no plans in place to stop.  The rumours may have been born out of the take

over of the AA last year.  It did result in a lot of cuts (which is usual

when new bosses take over), but the permits were not part of the cuts.

Regards

Chris

> -----Original Message-----

> From: RDN

> Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 3:55 AM

> To: Adlam, Chris

> Subject: Re: International Driving Permit

>

> Dear Chris,

>

> Can you tell me whether the AA still provides IDPs. Some people here in

> Thailand believe that the AA has stopped issuing them.

>

> Thanks for you help.

>

>

> Regards,

>

> RDN

>

>

• 2 weeks later...
Just a short one in case there's anyone here (in UK) thinking of doing same thing. I phoned the AA who told me to get lost that they didn't do that any more. ...

Yes they do.

Odd, the AA website still has the details of how to apply (to them) by post and downloadable forms too:-

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html

Didn't phone the 'other' AA did you  :D  :D

:D

To: RDN

Subject: RE: International Driving Permit

Hi

I can assure you I am still running the section that issues them.  There are

no plans in place to stop.  The rumours may have been born out of the take

over of the AA last year.  It did result in a lot of cuts (which is usual

when new bosses take over), but the permits were not part of the cuts.

Regards

Chris

> -----Original Message-----

> From: RDN

> Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 3:55 AM

> To: Adlam, Chris

> Subject: Re: International Driving Permit

>

> Dear Chris,

>

> Can you tell me whether the AA still provides IDPs. Some people here in

> Thailand believe that the AA has stopped issuing them.

>

> Thanks for you help.

>

>

> Regards,

>

> RDN

>

>

Well, it may come as a shock but advice from Thailand actually proved more reliable than advice from UK.

I'd been given the run around by the post office and the AA over IDP and had resigned myself to travelling to Luton, waiting in a queue and doing it there.

Then someone said, hey try this link - at the AA !

Cut a long story short, filled in the form, attached two passport pics, photocopies of passport, drivers licence along with the backup form (with your endorsements).

Posted the whole lot off on Thursday and bingo, my IDP dropped through my letterbox on Saturday morning !

Thanks to all at Thai Visa, where things get sorted!

:o

Well I am definetely red/green. Try the test

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.html

I also have red/green color blindness but I have a valid Thai driver's license (I can only tell '25' in the Ishihara test in the link). But I don't remember even been tested for color blindness when I applied for license 6 years ago. I wouldn't be able to distinguish red/yellow/green on traffic signal if all three lamps are lit at the same time but otherwise no problem.

BTW, does anybody know if driving in the country of your citizenship with a foreign issued IDL (country of residency) is allowed if you are no longer residing in your own country but want to drive there while visiting?

Edited by Nordlys

Well I am definetely red/green. Try the test

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.html

I also have red/green color blindness but I have a valid Thai driver's license (I can only tell '25' in the Ishihara test in the link). But I don't remember even been tested for color blindness when I applied for license 6 years ago. I wouldn't be able to distinguish red/yellow/green on traffic signal if all three lamps are lit at the same time but otherwise no problem.

BTW, does anybody know if driving in the country of your citizenship with a foreign issued IDL (country of residency) is allowed if you are no longer residing in your own country but want to drive there while visiting?

If it is a language like Thai that is not readable by say, UK police, a certified English translation should be carried

Red/Green color blindness is by far the most common form, about 99%, and causes problems in distinguishing reds and greens, but I do not think they will do an Ishihara test. Just point to some spots and yo reply red/green/yellow.

When I applied for my Thai license, the issue of the medical certificate did not depend upon passing a 'colour blindness' test. However, prior to the issue of the license, I needed to take the "Ishihara test" at the license office (Surin).

Mind you, driving in Thailand requires you to jump a red light.... :D  or so it seems.

Very true! :o

If it is a language like Thai that is not readable by say, UK police, a certified English translation should be carried

Thanks Dr. Patpong.

So you'd need IDL, Thai DL and a certified translation of Thai DL in whatever the language of the country you're visiting? Or is this a requirement for UK only?

My parents are going to Japan in August and they want to drive in Hokkaido. They've been living here for close to 50 years, so no tabien baan there. Not to mention B150K it costs and 40 hours + driving lesson required to get a local driver's license there.