International Driving Licence

Having had my British driving licence stolen in Pattaya, and needing to hire a car at LHR next month, does anyone know how I can get a recognised International Driving Licence in Pattaya? any suggestions welcomed.

Bunker: I am not in Pattaya at the moment, but the first thing that springs to mind is to make sure you report the loss of your driver's licence to the British Embassy in Bangkok.

Here's their address: British Embassy Bangkok

Then report the loss to Pattaya Police, corner of Soi 8 and Beach Road.

The last thing you want to suffer from now is identity fraud.

Peter

Having had my British driving licence stolen in Pattaya, and needing to hire a car at LHR next month, does anyone know how I can get a recognised International Driving Licence in Pattaya? any suggestions welcomed.

International driving licence is not valid in the country of issue and can only be ontained by showing a valid driving licence

I think you may be stuffed :D

As suggested, report your loss to the police then the embassy, they MAY issue a letter that you can use to hire the vehicle.

OR

Do you have a Thai licence??? Had it for more than two years (I think it's two), get a Thai IDP (from the Land Transportation office), will be valid in the UK but I'd love to be a fly on the wall if you get stopped by the UK plods ... "er, yes I'm British, and this piece of hand trimmed (with nail scisors) laminated paper with Pitman shorthand on it is a valid licence" :o

Sorry I don't have any better ideas.

DC

Do you have a Thai licence??? Had it for more than two years (I think it's two), get a Thai IDP (from the Land Transportation office), will be valid in the UK

Really?

Not sure which bit you are sceptical about :o

If you look here:- http://www.thaivisa.com/320.0.html

You see this:-

"International Driver's License

If you would like to apply for an International Driver's License you have to provide the following documents:

Passport with Non-immigrant Visa Present

a letter of current residence certified by an Embassy of your Country.

* Thai Driver's License (Private Motor Car). If you don't have a Thai Driver's licence please refer to the previous instructions on getting a Thai driver's license.

2 Photos, 2 X 2 Inches

Fee 505 Baht"

Suggesting to me that you can get a Thai IDP (no mention of the qualifying period on this page, I'm sure I've seen it somewhere though).

And, yes, a valid IDP will work in the UK.

I have no idea how "legit" they are, but when I opened the page to view your topic.....at the top of the page were around 8 advertisements (google?) concerning purchasing an international license (cheap, fast and easy...so they seem to claim). :o

Edited by Ken

I have no idea how "legit" they are, but when I opened the page to view your topic.....at the top of the page were around 8 advertisements (google?) concerning purchasing an international license (cheap, fast and easy...so they seem to claim). :o

Yeah, I saw those too. As to whether they will work in the UK, who knows. I suspect that the UK cops will want to see either a UK licence or one of the internationally recognised IDP's along with a national licence.

Yeah, I saw those too. As to whether they will work in the UK, who knows. I suspect that the UK cops will want to see either a UK licence or one of the internationally recognised IDP's along with a national licence.

Just checked out those ads. All are for IDP's, these MUST be accompanied by a valid national licence.

Since the OP has lost his UK licence these won't work.

International Driving Licence and IDPs ?

Which is which ? As I shall be moving to Thailand in August I thought it prudent to get an International Driving Licence. Tried the post office who said no, go try the DVLA in Swansea.

So, phoned them and was told in no uncertain terms that the International Driving Licence was a totally different animal and nigh on impossible to get hold of.

The best I can manage, it seems, is an International Driving Permit. I have to go to a particular post office (Luton) with photos, utility bills, passport and current British Driving licence.

It's only valid for a year and I'm not sure what currency it will have in Thailand if I decide to buy a car and need a Thai licence.

Any suggestions ?

:o

Just checked out those ads. All are for IDP's, these MUST be accompanied by a valid national licence.

It WILL work if he has a Thai licence already. i.e. Thai licence + IDP issued in Thailand will be valid for driving abroad, including the UK. (Admittedly, I would love to be stopped by the police in the UK while driving on a Thai licence - no penalty points for starters).

Welshman - an IDP is just a piece of paper with your photo, and a few different languages that allows you to drive for a limited period in another country. It also has a standard list of vehicle types you're allowed to drive, and in the UK, is actually issued by the AA. It's really for use by tourists, if you're immigrating to Thailand, after an initial period, you have to get a Thai licence.

You can drive legally in Thailand on an IDP for up to 3 months (ie until you go to immigration to apply for an extension of stay). In the UK, you can drive on the IDP until the IDP runs out (i.e. up to a year).

However, if you're here on a non-imm visa, with your UK licence + IDP, a doctor's certificate and a letter from the embassy confirming your address, you should be able to get issued with a Thai licence by the local testing centre. (i.e. one of 4 in Bangkok, depending on where you live, or the one in your district if you're outside Bangkok). With a foreign licence + IDP, you normally only have to do a colour blindness test. (although take someone who speaks Thai with you, as all the signs are in Thai, and you'll need to join a few different queues before getting the licence issued.)

Edited by bkk_mike

An International Driving Permit must be accompanied by a valid license. You can usually only get an IDP from the same country as that which issued the license.

In Australia (and I thought it was the same in the UK, but maybe not), the IDP is issued by the NRMA, RACV, RACQ etc - these are all affiliates of the Automobile Association (AA), which is where I would assume you get a British IDP (for use OUTSIDE Britain).

The whole idea of the IDP is to validate the license that you are holding for use in the country you are visiting.

As the original post was regarding a UK license that had been lost, as mentioned earlier, it must be reported to the local police station, and then to the British Embassy. The embassy may be able to arrange a replacement (although I doubt it), but the easiest way, if the gentleman concerned has a Thai license, is to get an IDP issued here in Thailand against his Thai license. This will then be valid for use in the UK, and once he gets there, he could then go to the police or other authorities and have a replacement British license issued. He could then drive on that.

If he does not have a Thai license, then I would imagine that the embassy may be able to issue a letter that would at least allow him to hire a vehicle and immediately go to the appropriate office in the UK to have the British license replaced.

...suggest ringing the embassy before going any further...

Edited by Greer

Which is which ?  As I shall be moving to Thailand in August I thought it prudent to get an International Driving Licence. Tried the post office who said no, go try the DVLA in Swansea.

So, phoned them and was told in no uncertain terms that the International Driving Licence was a totally different animal and nigh on impossible to get hold of.

The best I can manage, it seems, is an International Driving Permit. I have to go to a particular post office (Luton) with photos, utility bills, passport and current British Driving licence.

It's only valid for a year and I'm not sure what currency it will have in Thailand if I decide to buy a car and need a Thai licence.

Any suggestions ?

You need an IDP (International Driving Permit) along with your UK driving licence

to drive in Thailand and to apply for a Thai licence.It's only valid for one year but when you get your Thai licence you dont need it any more.

It only costs £5 and takes 5 mins

Edited by RDN

It WILL work if he has a Thai licence already. i.e. Thai licence + IDP issued in Thailand will be valid for driving abroad, including the UK. (Admittedly, I would love to be stopped by the police in the UK while driving on a Thai licence - no penalty points for starters).

Welshman - an IDP is just a piece of paper with your photo, and a few different languages that allows you to drive for a limited period in another country. It also has a standard list of vehicle types you're allowed to drive, and in the UK, is actually issued by the AA. It's really for use by tourists, if you're immigrating to Thailand, after an initial period, you have to get a Thai licence.

You can drive legally in Thailand on an IDP for up to 3 months (ie until you go to immigration to apply for an extension of stay). In the UK, you can drive on the IDP until the IDP runs out (i.e. up to a year).

However, if you're here on a non-imm visa, with your UK licence + IDP, a doctor's certificate and a letter from the embassy confirming your address, you should be able to get issued with a Thai licence by the local testing centre. (i.e. one of 4 in Bangkok, depending on where you live, or the one in your district if you're outside Bangkok). With a foreign licence + IDP, you normally only have to do a colour blindness test. (although take someone who speaks Thai with you, as all the signs are in Thai, and you'll need to join a few different queues before getting the licence issued.)

Spot on. That's saved me some typing.

A+

T.

Which is which ?  As I shall be moving to Thailand in August I thought it prudent to get an International Driving Licence. Tried the post office who said no, go try the DVLA in Swansea.

Any suggestions ?

:D

As far as I can tell from the ads. an IDP and an 'IDL' are one and the same.

Get your IDP from the RAC http://www.rac.co.uk/travelservices/int_driving_permit/

do it by post, costs 5.50 and you don't need plies of bills and stuff.

If you have a non-immigrant visa and an IDP a Thai licence is a piece of cake (you do need a Thai speaker). It would appear that they are tightening up slightly, I had to do a colour blindness, depth perception and reaction test. Failed the latter two, but still got the licence :o

Enjoy Thailand. Make sure your life insurance is up to date if you intend driving here :D:D

Just a short one in case there's anyone here (in UK) thinking of doing same thing. I phoned the AA who told me to get lost that they didn't do that any more. You used to be able to get them in any post office but that has all changed too. I had to phone DVLA in Swansea who gave me a list and Luton was the nearest to me. So, unless you get a different response, don't bother with the AA

Edited by Welshman

I need a driving licence, in English, to enable me to hire a car at London

Heathrow on my next trip to UK. My UK licence finished on my 70th birthday, so I only have my 5-year Thai licence. The hire-car company's rules say they accept any licence that is written in English. Has anyone any suggestions, please?

Martin, should be no problem for you to get an IDP issued in Thailand.

This will be accepted by rental companies. IF they ask for the natinal one, show your 5-years Thai licence as well, they are happy to recognize you on the picture.

Just a short one in case there's anyone here (in UK) thinking of doing same thing. I phoned the AA who told me to get lost that they didn't do that any more. You used to be able to get them in any post office but that has all changed too. I had to phone DVLA in Swansea who gave me a list and Luton was the nearest to me. So, unless you get a different response, don't bother with the AA

Odd, the AA website still has the details of how to apply (to them) by post and downloadable forms too:-

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html

Didn't phone the 'other' AA did you :o:D

Any suggestions ?

You need an IDP (International Driving Permit) along with your UK driving licence

to drive in Thailand and to apply for a Thai licence.It's only valid for one year but when you get your Thai licence you dont need it any more.

It only costs £5 and takes 5 mins

You also need a Non-Immigrant visa to get a Thai license

Edited by RDN

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/applydl.htm#dup_licence

Assuming you can still get it sent to the address that's on the licence, you can just phone them up and they'll issue a replacement. (this is if you already had a photo id driving licence). No need to submit photos or anything.

Assuming it gets sent out in time, you can get whoever's currently at the address to send it out by DHL or something.

If you just had a paper licence - you need a form D1, which you could either get someone in the UK to pick up at the post office and send to you, or you could try the embassy. It might be one of the forms they have in the consular section. (I'd phone first to check unless you live around the corner though...)

Of course if you need to submit paperwork, you're very unlikely to get the licence in time.

Edited by bkk_mike

Martin, should be no problem for you to get an IDP issued in Thailand.

This will be accepted by rental companies. IF they ask for the natinal one, show your 5-years Thai licence as well, they are happy to recognize you on the picture.

Thanks, Axel.

To be absolutely sure, I think I will send the rental company an e-mail and get them to commit themselves to accepting IDP plus Thai licence.

Then I'll post the result here, as there are a few of us who are 'oldies' and going to be in this position!!.

Odd, the AA website still has the details of how to apply (to them) by post and downloadable forms too:-

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html

Didn't phone the 'other' AA did you :o:D

Er no, but I think I would have had a more coherent answer from them !

Seriously, you think that things are tit-up in Thailand. As in my original post, I went to the post office who said no, try the AA. Got their phone number off the web and phoned the number to be told by a very strident woman that 'no, we don't do that kind of thing - try DVLA') Did the same with them to be told to go to a specialised post office etc etc etc.

Ok, in another post there's a link to the RAC site and, bingo, there's a downloadable application form, instructions etc etc.

So, I'll give them a try - thanks for all the advice (much appreicated).

:D

Last night in the bar, an Aussie mate told me that the cost of Thai driving licenses has gone up dramatically - to something like 500 baht for motocy and 1,000 for car/truck. Anyone able to confirm?

Last night in a bar.... :o

Haven't heard anything about any increases. March 29 (less than two months ago) I got my motorcycle license, 55 Baht and Car license, 105 Baht. :D