Carrefore Delivery

willyumcr

I had a very bad experience at Carrefore this week. I brought over 6,000 baht of grocieries and took advantage of there free delivery service. We finished shopping around noon and the delivery didn't show up until after 8:00pm. After many phone calls the girl at "customer Service" told us that their truck had broke down that morning. I lost around 1,800 baht of fresh meat I had to through away. My G/F asked her why we wern't informed that truck was down so we could have gotten a taxi to take home. She said "we cannot just call everyone" and you should have taken fresh meats, vegtables, etc. with us. If I had know that why would I want to use there delivery service as we had way to much to take with us on baht bus. The ironic part of this is same thing happened last month (we do major shopping once a month)the truck was broke down however we didn't have that much meat last time. Didn't get grocieries until next day. I would strongly advise people to not buy pershibles at Carrefore if you are planing for delivery. 8 hours is way beyond reasonable time for delivery.I sent in email 3 days ago to carrefore to complain but as of yet, no response. Not only was the delivery service horrible but the "Customer Service" girl just did not really care. I guess she has job security so not interested in trying to protect her job.Anyone else have bad delivery experience with Carrefore?

Carrefour delivers for 1000 baht minimum. I would recommend:

1) You do more than 1 trip when it concerns perishables. The Thais were logical (god, that hurts...).

2) You complain only to management who are French and willing to help (speaking from experience).

Edited by maipenrai2010

Carrefour delivers for 1000 baht minimum. I would recommend:

1) You do more than 1 trip when it concerns perishables. The Thais were logical (god, that hurts...).

2) You complain only to management who are French and willing to help (speaking from experience).

I am aware of the 1,000 baht min. I had over 6,000. As far as making more trips I would prefer to skip the free delivery and pay maybe 150 baht to taxi if this is an ongoing problem with there delivery truck.(2) I did complain to manangement via email, no response. I just wonder if other customers on this forum have had same expericnce I had. I already know what to do from now on.

I'm afraid that you have to accept the old adage "This is Thailand", my friend. You can never depend upon Thais to be either punctual or efficient. That's just the way it is. I understand your frustration; because this would certainly be unacceptable in the UK or the USA. But Thailand is simply not at our level in almost any category you can name.

So, if your personal situation prevents you from owning a car or pickup to haul large quantities of groceries once a month; your only realistic and safe option is, in fact, to accept the need to shop more frequently, and buy only what you can carry home in a baht bus.

I could also suggest that you consider renting the baht bus as a door-to-door taxi, exclusively for your groceries and yourselves. That is what my wife and I did before we bought our car 4 years ago.

I'm afraid that you have to accept the old adage "This is Thailand", my friend. You can never depend upon Thais to be either punctual or efficient. That's just the way it is. I understand your frustration; because this would certainly be unacceptable in the UK or the USA. But Thailand is simply not at our level in almost any category you can name.

So, if your personal situation prevents you from owning a car or pickup to haul large quantities of groceries once a month; your only realistic and safe option is, in fact, to accept the need to shop more frequently, and buy only what you can carry home in a baht bus.

I could also suggest that you consider renting the baht bus as a door-to-door taxi, exclusively for your groceries and yourselves. That is what my wife and I did before we bought our car 4 years ago.

Patsfangr, I'm going to agree with you on this. Especially "You can never depend upon Thais to be either punctual or efficient." Still, eight hours for a delivery with spoiled food is to much. The store should have warned the OP to take the meat and anything else that might spoil. No reasonable person would expect a food delivery to take eight hours. Personally, I would take a baht bus to my home, or make smaller trips on my motorbike.

I believe in my last post I mentioned about paying 150 baht for a taxi (baht bus). What does having a wife, car, pickup etc. have to do with original post wondering if other people have trouble with the Carrefore delevery? Weather I shop every month, day or week has nothing to do with waiting 8 hours for a delivery.I am sure a lot of people were upset as I was when if fact all they had to do is tell us that the delivery truck was broke down and I would have hired a taxi (baht bus). I also have lived here for 3 years and as a single person have not found a need to own a car to haul wife and kids around. I think the transportation in Pattaya is excellent weather I use normal run or hire out the baht bus for door to door or even rent a car if need be.I am just wondering if other posters have had trouble with Carrefore delivery. That is all.

Is this a refrigerated van? I can't see how you can complain about delivery if it's a 'free' service. Did you expect them to be behind you as you opened your door? I would have thought thier delivery service was intended for white goods like fridges and washing machines. I most certainly wouldn't trust perishable goods to a vague service like this.

An expensive lesson for you. As has been said, shop every day like the locals or hire a baht bus for delivery.

I can't believe they even let you send fresh food in the delivery service. (Ok, I can believe it...I mean that I'm surprised. :) ) At my Carrefour in BKK, that's one of the specific delivery rules: NO perishables allowed. They always ask me if there is any fresh food, and sometimes they even dig around to make sure.

Is this a refrigerated van? I can't see how you can complain about delivery if it's a 'free' service.

This isn't a free service,the OP just spend over 6000 baht on goods he could have purchased just anywhere in pattaya.

Thanks for understanding my post. Glad there is someone out there who actually read it. :)

I can't believe they even let you send fresh food in the delivery service. (Ok, I can believe it...I mean that I'm surprised. :) ) At my Carrefour in BKK, that's one of the specific delivery rules: NO perishables allowed. They always ask me if there is any fresh food, and sometimes they even dig around to make sure.
This is Pattaya, not BKK. I was not told of this here. If this is policy, then notify the customers.

Is this a refrigerated van? I can't see how you can complain about delivery if it's a 'free' service.

This isn't a free service,the OP just spend over 6000 baht on goods he could have purchased just anywhere in pattaya.

Thanks for understanding my post. Glad there is someone out there who actually read it. :)

Everybody understood your post, BUT the delivery service is FREE, whether you buy THB 1,001 or THB 10,200. Free service in Thailand means: complementary and if something goes wrong: Don't complain!!

Of course the service is not free; everybody pays for it, but again "FREE" is another expression: "Not guaranteed"

If you buy THB 6,000 of groceries at any other supermarket in Pattaya, it's up-to-you how you take care of your transport and as at Carrefour, song-taews are available to take you home at exorbitant prices.

I used the free delivery service a few times just after Carrefour's opening a few years ago and yes, in almost all cases they were there withing the hour.

It's interesting to me Willy that in the OP you actually say

The ironic part of this is same thing happened last month (we do major shopping once a month)the truck was broke down however we didn't have that much meat last time. Didn't get grocieries until next day.
So, with this experience why did you not ask or take the meats this time. Why risk this again?

The delivery service is a free service, whatever argument you offer, the form you complete states "no perishables", why did you not ask how busy there were and how long the delivery time is?...

Why did you expect service as you would pay for overseas? You could have gone outside and paid a delivery vehicle at the front entrance for immediate delivery?

I bet you gave the delivery driver a tip, so he would remember a good customer!

Good luck living here!

The delivery service is a free service, whatever argument you offer, the form you complete states "no perishables", why did you not ask how busy there were and how long the delivery time is?...

Why did you expect service as you would pay for overseas? You could have gone outside and paid a delivery vehicle at the front entrance for immediate delivery?

Good luck living here!

If you read the original post you would see I said if I had known the truck was broke down I would have gotten a taxi (baht bus). I have been living here for three years in Thailand and living outside my home country (USA) for 30 years. Not that is any of your business but I always tip as it was not the drivers fault. Lighten up and don't be so judgmental.

Good luck living here!

If you read the original post you would see I said if I had known the truck was broke down I would have gotten a taxi (baht bus). I have been living here for three years in Thailand and living outside my home country (USA) for 30 years. Not that is any of your business but I always tip as it was not the drivers fault. Lighten up and don't be so judgmental.

I think it is time for the mod to close this thread as it is not very constructive to just be criticizing. I just wanted to know if other posters had a similar experience with the delivery at Carrefore. 8 hours even if "free" is unacceptable to have to wait. To much negativity.

the cockroaches in the fresh food department are reason enough to purchase meat etc. at Foodland... :D

Sorry raro,

but I prefer a hypothetic cockroach at Carrefour (that I never seen)

to the rat of Foodland South Rd (that I personally saw !)

And about the OP I do not understand how someone can use the good free delivery service of Carrefour for meat ! :D . Meat is a very easy perishable thing. I will always take it with me - in any shop/superstore - and will try to get it as quick as possible to the fridge in my home. :)

When I lived in Europe I had an isolated box in my car in which I put things that I want/try to keep cold. I one day I have a car here, I will do the same thing.

PS: The 8 hours delay is long, I agree, but most of time the delivery is in about 2 hours,

and 2 hours are already way to much to keep meat safe ! So the 8 hours is not an excuse.

> The OP was clearly treated badly

Please explain tomster, where was he treated badly ?

He try to use for perishables a free service that mention "No perishables" and now he complains ??

Edited by Pattaya46

Good luck living here!

I think it is time for the mod to close this thread as it is not very constructive to just be criticizing. I just wanted to know if other posters had a similar experience with the delivery at Carrefore. 8 hours even if "free" is unacceptable to have to wait. To much negativity.

Noted!! If someone goes over the line they will be warned and if the thread goes off the rails it will be closed.

So far with the exception of a few silly posts, (you know who you are) it's quite interesting.

Personally I would never take a chance with any Dairy produce, we always have a Coleman box in the back of the SUV in case we get delayed on the way home which happens. :)

the cockroaches in the fresh food department are reason enough to purchase meat etc. at Foodland... :)

Saying "This is Thailand" in this case simply does not apply, Carrefour is owned and operated by Farangs.

Actually all 3 big supermarkets are farang owned,still I will ever buy fresh foods at any of them.Only the ,I presume thai owned,foodland.

@Pattaya46,I think you must be mistaken about the rats at foodland south road.I guess you mix up with friendship supermarket,as foodland doesn't have a shop in that location.

No there is no online grocery store system here but it sure would be nice to have that. Cost is a factor though. I would be willing to pay the cost of items plus a delivery charge but I wouldn't be willing to pay a premium for every item ordered that way. A store like Friendship which has a manageable number of items could put everything online and perhaps limit the orders to a minumum of 1000 baht. They could probably produce more business and jobs that way, shopping pickers and delivery.

Edited by Jingthing

I have always heard supermarkets operate on very thin margins so if so they couldn't really eat a big discount. However that may be different in Thailand with small boxes of Grape Nuts cereal going for 150 baht. Given the low labor costs here, a personal shopper may interest some customers. It could be made more efficient by limiting it to one target area of customers and one market. Given the lack of a reasonable market in Jomtien, I think the inner Jomtien crowd would be ideal. It could be priced at cost plus labor and delivery, the trick would be balancing the fees against what people would be willing to pay extra. With a personal shopper the service really could be personal. They could call you and say the chicken thighs don't look very fresh, how about some chicken breasts instead? Maybe even a one person boutique kind of business only dealing with compatable clients. It could even include a one time visit to the market with the client so that the client can do a walk through of the market and talk about the items usually bought, personal specifications about quality, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

I have always heard supermarkets operate on very thin margins so if so they couldn't really eat a big discount. However that may be different in Thailand with small boxes of Grape Nuts cereal going for 150 baht. Given the low labor costs here, a personal shopper may interest some customers. It could be made more efficient by limiting it to one target area of customers and one market. Given the lack of a reasonable market in Jomtien, I think the inner Jomtien crowd would be ideal. It could be priced at cost plus labor and delivery, the trick would be balancing the fees against what people would be willing to pay extra. With a personal shopper the service really could be personal. They could call you and say the chicken thighs don't look very fresh, how about some chicken breasts instead? Maybe even a one person boutique kind of business only dealing with compatable clients. It could even include a one time visit to the market with the client so that the client can do a walk through of the market and talk about the items usually bought, personal specifications about quality, etc.
Actually I live next door to Foodmart in Jomtien. I only go to Carrefore once a month to buy water, coke, beer, dry goods. However this month I did buy meat (mistake). I do my daily, weekly shopping at Foodmart which I find not only convenient but reasonable and they have a good selection of imported products. One item is they have fresh celery which I find hard to find at Carrefore, Tops etc. Anyway maybe you might have a good idea with the personal shopper. I heard on a different forum they were building a supermarket in Jomtin Complex??

@Pattaya46,I think you must be mistaken about the rats at foodland south road.

I guess you mix up with friendship supermarket,as foodland doesn't have a shop in that location.

Ooops. You are right basjke.

This bad experience was in FriendShip on South Rd, the one not far from Tukcom.

Not FoodLand. Sorry

The problem here is that though they might call and say the chicken thighs weren't up to scratch they'd be saying it in the Thai language. If a Thai had such a good grasp of English to suggest breast over dodgy thighs they certainly wouldn't be working in a (presumably) low paid job such as this.

The delivery service is useful for the Thai arcane liquor licencing laws: ie. No alcohol sales from 1400-1700 and 1800-2300 and 2400-1200

Simply purchase 10 litres of liquor and have it home delivered. (10 litres of liquor can be purchase outside of the time laws).

That equates to a couple of cases of beer.

Recommended. Enjoy! :)

we always have a Coleman box in the back of the SUV in case we get delayed on the way home which happens. :)

"we"? I reckon this rather happens if you shop for groceries on your own :D

You are too smart for me Mr Raro :D