Thailand's 'Jack the Ripper' given another life sentence

webfact

'Thailand's Jack the Ripper' given another life sentence

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A convicted serial killer dubbed Thailand's Jack the Ripper by the media was yesterday given another life sentence for one murder of five he has confessed to carring out four years ago.

Aleady served a life sentence for killing a nightclub singer, Somkhid Phumphuang was handed a second life term for strangling masseuse, Sompong Phimphornphirom at a Buri Ram motel in June 2005, after having sex with her. He is set to stand trial for another three murders he confessed to committing in similar ways.

The Criminal Court commuted this second life term from an original death sentence, citing his confession during the trial. Somkhid was also handed a oneyear prison term for stealing the victim's valuables, and ordered to pay Bt10,000 to her relatives.

A Trang native, Somkhid, 41, is serving a life prison term for killing nightclub singer Warunee Phiphabutr in a Mukdahan hotel. He has also admitted to killing the three other masseuses.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-13

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

How long is a life sentence in Thailand?

I hate to say things as fact when I am not 100%, absolutely sure, BUT I have heard of people leaving prison on parole after as little as 20 years. In my post I was actually being sarcastic, though. I have a feeling this guy won't be doing any fishing for a while. He may not make it too long on the inside.

Edited by senshusband

I bet there are some more mass murderers outside.... :)

10k compensation for the things he stole? and whats with compensation for the life he took from that family?

This is Thailand life has little or no value but material things are priceless. A thai would kill for the latest mobile phone.

I bet there are some more mass murderers outside.... :)

10k compensation for the things he stole? and whats with compensation for the life he took from that family?

This is Thailand life has little or no value but material things are priceless. A thai would kill for the latest mobile phone.

A sad! but true fact! and yet the religion that so many Thai people practise is totallly the opposite.

Materialism and bhuddism just dont go together.