Hotmail Downgrade

Ken

I've had my hotmail account for over 6 years, the last two years were the paid "plus" account. Two or three months ago I signed up for a gmail account, been happy with it, and decided at that time to cancel my "plus" account and revert it back to just a "free" account. Indeed, when they (hotmail support) asked me "why" the cancellation, I mentioned the free gmail account.

Well at the time, I went on the service site and have seen that my plus account was cancelled, but for the past couple of months I still had 2 GB of space and I could still download my mail using POP. Suddenly two days ago, my space has gone down to 25 MB and I can no longer access the account using POP. :o And my account still is using a USA address, not Thailand.

Kinda "pricky" of them I thought, but is it just me? :D

Edited by Ken

It would appear when you cancelled your paid account, it reverted to a "new" standard account, governed by new "rules" which went into effect early January 2005.

Under those revised rules, new accounts are not permitted "pop" access. Also, storage space on new accounts is limited to 25MB, however that should increase to 250MB after 30-45 days. In addition, MSN now limits single email addressee's and cc's to 100 names, in order to prevent account abuse by spammers.

Suggest you contact MSN Support, explain the situation and request you be allowed OE or Outlook access to your old account. (Note: OE and Outlook are the only approved "pop" utilities MSN recognizes.)

cheers :o

Thanks for that Waldwolf. Yea, I concur, that is probably what happened. I would have thought (liked) that they would have only taken away the storage space and not the POP access, since they appeared to be letting other people keep their POP access. In hindsight, guess I would have been better off never going to the "plus" account with them. Looks like they want to punish me now. But, yes, a note to their support is in order, and I'll try that. Not a huge deal to me anymore, as gmail is my primary....

At least now I don't get the mail from the hotmail junk mailbox downloaded either (my previous "Incredimail" thread :o ). So maybe it's a blessing in disguise. :D

Edited by Ken

Thanks for that Waldwolf.  Yea, I concur, that is probably what happened.  I would have thought (liked) that they would have only taken away the storage space and not the POP access, since they appeared to be letting other people keep their POP access.  In hindsight, guess I would have been better off never going to the "plus" account with them.  Looks like they want to punish me now.  But, yes, a note to their support is in order, and I'll try that.  Not a huge deal to me anymore, as gmail is my primary....

I don't get it.... you're not paying anymore, yet you still want all the benefits.... what exactly do you expect them to do.... :D

totster :o

I don't get it.... you're not paying anymore, yet you still want all the benefits.... what exactly do you expect them to do....  :D

totster  :D

Compete. :D

Bye the way totster from Kalasin/England: While I have no desire to go thru and read your 1000+ posts, I have to say that certainly your recent posts seem to add absolutely nothing except some, IMHO, perverted (ok sarcastic) response to ........anything or everything. Ok, fair enought if you are trolling, but....why don't you troll somewhere else. :o

I don't get it.... you're not paying anymore, yet you still want all the benefits.... what exactly do you expect them to do....  :D

totster  :D

Compete. :D

Bye the way totster from Kalasin/England: While I have no desire to go thru and read your 1000+ posts, I have to say that certainly your recent posts seem to add absolutely nothing except some, IMHO, perverted (ok sarcastic) response to ........anything or everything. Ok, fair enought if you are trolling, but....why don't you troll somewhere else. :o

It was no troll..... I can't see why you would think that. :D

You are obviously angry because I pointed out that Hotmail was not wrong for ending the benefits that you had previously paid for, when you stopped your subscription. To me this sounds perfectly reasonable.

I think you are more angry with yourself for making such a foolish (I'm sorry but it was ) statement in the first place. It seems the way you deal with your own foolishness is to try and belittle me and label me a sarcastic pervert...

I'm sorry that by telling it as it was, upset you.... maybe next time I'll pussy foot around and tell you how bad Hotmail/MSN are for not letting you have their premium service for free.

Obviously you thought my post was an attack at you, and you needed to attack back, I understand that, you are human after all... but it was a little insulting and not really needed, "compete" was enough.

totster :D

Edited by Totster

why are you still using hotmail ken?

my hotmail account is only kept active by me now for using the login to the messenger servers.All my contacts I have advised to use my gmail address. Gmail to me is a far superior web based email provider.

I have not used pop3 or smtp for years. The advantages to the security of your machine of not having to download emails before you have any idea of what is included , far outweigh the small inconviences of a web based service. Though the last pop3/smtp client I used allowed you to read the email headers first and decide if you wished to download or just delete from the server.'

edit - peanut stu just noticed that you said you had a gmail account now - I had thought you only intended to get one.

Edited by stumonster

Stu...Thanks for that. Indeed I've been using gmail for a few months now and most of my mail is now received at that account. I suppose my only point is/was that by reverting back to the "free" hotmail account from the paid one, they took away POP access. Yet anyone esle, who has never paid but had a free account before the new rules came out, still have POP access. Only "new, free" accounts no longer have POP access. But sooner or later my hotmail account will be of no use and I guess I'll just cancel it out, so my "problem" is a rather small one, but I did find it just a bit irrating.

And I do have a POP mail client that lets me read the header's first before any download. Cheers. :o

:D:D

Happy again. The suggestion to contact hotmail support was a good one and in retrospect (easy to say that now), should have been the first thing I did.

Anyway, the support people were "understanding" and they changed the account from the 25 MB up to the 250 MB along with giving me back the "HTTP" access. So in the end a "good experience". Cheers. :D:o:D