Seeing As It Chinese New Year! I Would Like To Know,

tigerfish

so,

seeing as it is the chinese new year. i would like to know from tv members.

what kind of country do you think thailand would be, without the influence of thai/chinese immigrants. that came to this country, settled, lived here and still do to the present day. do you think that thailand has benefited or is now worse off.

your views on how they have had an affected the politics of the land throughout its history, the economical situation. the culture, work ethic, even the food, and anything else that may spring to mind.

Edited by tigerfish

What it brings to my mind is the U.S. and the native Indians and Australia and the Aborigines.......how have they benefitted from the immigrants? The countries may be better off, as are the immigrants, but the original inhabitants.............?

What it brings to my mind is the U.S. and the native Indians and Australia and the Aborigines.......how have they benefitted from the immigrants? The countries may be better off, as are the immigrants, but the original inhabitants.............?

While it seems like a rather long bow to draw, it is still an excellent resort for comparison. All I can suggest, as I'm not really qualified to answer the OP question, is that whatever Chinese influences have been inflicted on Thailand, it's not, generally, been achieved at gunpoint, like much of the Australian invasion was.

chinese blended into thai society naturally, organically, through intermarriage, as well through an economic cooperation down to the villages. Chinese influx boosted industrial and agricultural development in thailand, because of the wast export market in china.

I am not much into chinese traditions or foods, altough my wife is half chinese.

If not china there would the indians dominating thailand more - in my opinion a worse scenario.

While it seems like a rather long bow to draw, it is still an excellent resort for comparison. All I can suggest, as I'm not really qualified to answer the OP question, is that whatever Chinese influences have been inflicted on Thailand, it's not, generally, been achieved at gunpoint, like much of the Australian invasion was.

Although not at gunpoint (though that may be something of a moot point bearing in mind the way governments in this country are overthrown by coup on a regular basis) the result has been much the same with the new arrivals taking whatever the country had to offer and largely keeping the wealth gained to themselves rather than using it for the benefit of the country as a whole. Rarely, if ever, do you see a poor Chinese Thai!

I think you can see the top 20% of wealth is chinese. The gap bewtween haves and have nots widens exponentially and the control of the nations assets is further and further out of the hands of the indiginous population. Sadly they have been very well studied and thus with a little use of what we call "spin doctors" The indiginous population now aspire to their chinese couterparts way of living right down to the colour of their skin.

It is an incredibly successful domination of an entire nation basically. The Thainese way is to use a trogan horse approach. They win from the inside out. By this I mean they take over the capital then creep out to the baan nok areas. THink about it. Lotus, 7/11 for example. They thrived in the capital and then major cities and now in little villages. And the Thais seem to prefer buying the same product from 7 than a local shop. So ma and pa stores close leaving prime real estate for new 7s! It's awesome.

Take whitening products. Thais are dark skinned by and large, but you show me a 7/11 without skin whitening deodorant and skin cream and I will show you a pink elephant! SO not only do the chinese take the major income generating industries over, the do it with a smile and invite thais to "look like them" as if looking like them (money out of thai pockets flows in to thainese pockets) will make them more like them.

Kaiser Sosay would be so proud!

I don't doubt that the overall economic prosperity of Thailand compared to Burma, Cambodia, etc... is partly due to the influence of the Chinese immigrants. For instance, my wife's maternal grandfather (who was ethnic Chinese) walked from Laos to Bangkok, got a job, married his boss's daughter and died a relatively wealthy man.

On the other hand, how much has it helped the original Thais? Walk into any business in Thailand and you will see Thai-Chinese sitting behind most of the desks, while the maid, guard and drivers will be 100% Thai.

• 1 month later...

To Loz:

I think you are uneducated. The fact is that Thai people have come from China, Szchuan Province, so Thai people are already part Chinese, according to professors and historians. Even the King was quoted as saying he is part Chinese blood. Did you know that Bangkok was started by Chinese settlers, not Thai? So if you delete the Chinese part of Thailand, then you delete Thailand. Chinese have been part of Thailand since it's founding. Yes, there are some Thais (mostly the Issan people who are in fact Lao, not Thai) who do not like Chinese people because Chinese prefer to sacrifice play time and study instead while the Issan-Lao Thais throw away their books and prefer to get drunk or high on Yaba.

Edited by Khonkaenvisitor