Too Old For Teaching Job

Royrex

I read somewhere recently that schools did NOT hire people over 60+. I am thinking about supplementing my retirement with a TESL course and then teach english. What is the truth? The TESL course would take me but would I be able to be hired? bangkok or Isaan area? or a waste of my time?

thanks in advance

That's utter rubbish! The school where I teach at have just accepted a letter of resignation from a 70 years old teacher who has quite recently had to retire due to ill health. My friend who is 64 years old teaches at a kindergarten school in Hua Hin.

Not so long ago someone posted that you couldn't teach at a school if you were over 40 years of age. ESL teachers are in big demand over here.

Some provincial MOE's won't approve the issuance of a WP to new teacher hires who are over 60. If the government school really wants to hire you, they can obtain a waiver, by the usual process of writing a letter singing your praises. I know a teacher who is 72 who was recently hired at a government school in a province that claims the schools can't hire teachers over age 60. It was no problem getting a waiver of that from the provincial MOE.

Some places do not hire people over a certain age, but I don't know that there is any law about it. We hired two teachers in their 60's. Teaching can be physically demanding and some schools will hesitate.

It might help to know how old you are.

So the government schools know this and if they want you ( as being only one to apply for a job), they write the letter for the approval to the MOE ( Min of Ed?) for the work permit. I would like the Sisaket area, but unsure if that would be an advantage. As in a shortage or overstocked with First time English Teachers. I do plan on taking the in country TESL course that gives some pratical hands-on experience. I do have some pension monies so I will not have to completely live on the earning alone.

No, I worked with a 65 year old teacher and he would have been invited back if he had not been completely useless. (His problem was alcohol and an crappy attitude, not anything related to his age.) I've seen many teachers in their 60's working. If you are in good health and come across well at an interview you should have little problem getting and keeping a job. Dress your best for school, it means a lot more here to be well dressed than it does at home.

An issue that may arise for older teachers is in regards to group medical insurance plans. Many insurance providers will not allow your enrollment if you are over a certain age.

Our school has no problem hiring older teachers unless they insist that the school has to find insurance that will cover them. If such a situation arises, the school simply won't hire them.

I understand that proper attire, attitude and physical appearance are determining factors during the hiring and working period in the offering and maintaining employment. But it is the thought of insurance (medical?) being provided by a school is a surprise to me. An issue that I haven't considered yet for a person of 60 in 3 months.

I am over 60 and worked for several years without a problem.

But the school did have to write a special letter to get me approved each year.

And I have no doubt it will be difficult to get hired at a school where no

one knows you. Admins prefer younger teachers who can

"relate well with the students". Just reality you need to be prepared for.

That said, if you do not give up there is a good chance to eventually find a job.

Good luck

A lot of bosses don't like to deal with older people because of the social status issue. Older people are to be treated with respect. A lot of employers don't like treating people respectfully.

As PeaceBlondie witnessed, this issue applies to Thais. Older farang are avoided for other reasons you may imagine.

Being over 60 didn't make me more respectable - they treated me worse than Thais. I had twice the energy and stamina of most 40-year old Thai teachers. And related well with 12-to-18 year old Thais. And taught better than the Thais.

Just so......I gather that could be a negative thing in realtion to your colleges.

A lot of bosses don't like to deal with older people because of the social status issue. Older people are to be treated with respect. A lot of employers don't like treating people respectfully.

As PeaceBlondie witnessed, this issue applies to Thais. Older farang are avoided for other reasons you may imagine.

Be so kind to name a few, please?

I don't know much about teaching in Thailand but I can add this about Sisaket where I spend half my time and half outside Thailand.

A school close to our house asked my wife if I were interested in teaching at the school and they must be a bit desperate since I am not a native English speaker I am not sure if they know this, the pay they offered were 20,000 a month.

Yawn. Just as a personal favor to you: Inflexibility, forgetfulness, hearing difficulty, health problems, slowness, inability relate to and learn a different language (some Thai really helps) and culture; insistent, opinionated, stubborn, outspoken, liable to talking about themselves all the time, expecting to be served, irrepressible sense of superiority based on longer experience that may not be relevant, etc.

Of course an individual may have none of these stereotypical characteristics. But Thais think in terms of stereotypes. And anyone can see these old fart farangs ranting in shops and marketplaces frequently enough, so word gets around. The power of this stereotype is evident from the necessity in the Western world to pass anti-age discrimination laws. Even so, in the West an employer will also always prefer a younger person if all else is equal.

I don't know much about teaching in Thailand but I can add this about Sisaket where I spend half my time and half outside Thailand.

A school close to our house asked my wife if I were interested in teaching at the school and they must be a bit desperate since I am not a native English speaker I am not sure if they know this, the pay they offered were 20,000 a month.

Thanks for the info, that's about 60% of the pay in the big cities. I guess that the going rate for out in the provinces.

I can only say that I have just finished a TEFL and all the schools I have applied for teaching posts with want a degree they are not so interested in TEFL. A degree with Thai culture is what they want first. Don't be hood winked by the schools into thinking TEFL is all you need but it helps. Sorry schools but live with it even if the truth hurts.

:)

Yawn. Just as a personal favor to you: Inflexibility, forgetfulness, hearing difficulty, health problems, slowness, inability relate to and learn a different language (some Thai really helps) and culture; insistent, opinionated, stubborn, outspoken, liable to talking about themselves all the time, expecting to be served, irrepressible sense of superiority based on longer experience that may not be relevant, etc.

Of course an individual may have none of these stereotypical characteristics. But Thais think in terms of stereotypes. And anyone can see these old fart farangs ranting in shops and marketplaces frequently enough, so word gets around. The power of this stereotype is evident from the necessity in the Western world to pass anti-age discrimination laws. Even so, in the West an employer will also always prefer a younger person if all else is equal.

That might be true of some but its the kids that keep me young happy and full of life. I love teaching young children and they love me as much as my own children.

Being over 60 didn't make me more respectable - they treated me worse than Thais. I had twice the energy and stamina of most 40-year old Thai teachers. And related well with 12-to-18 year old Thais. And taught better than the Thais.

I'm over 60 and well-respected by my fellow Thai teachers and administrators. In addition to my teaching responsibilities, they've appointed me to several responsible positions to direct a number of programs within the university, working with and over some Thai instructors/staff.

It just sounds like you landed in an unfortunate $hit-hole, PB. Sorry about that.

Thais in schools in provinces don't read ThaiVisa; they don't know many farang. My hearing's fine. I never missed a class; I only fell off my CBR150. I use deodorant and don't drink booze. I outperform 35 year old Thais. The agent was an ignorant farang who hired a drunk. My memory only failed me once, this month. Most of the negative characteristics you ascribe to old teachers apply to younger professional farang educators, and violate sub-forum rules. Thanks for not sharing.

Toptuan, thanks. But the third shit-hole in a row burned me out.

Thanks for the info, that's about 60% of the pay in the big cities. I guess that the going rate for out in the provinces.

Like I said I have no idea about teaching or saleries.

Don't know if you already know Sisaket but it is cheap here I budget 10,000 a month for house, water, gold satelite package, electricity and internet and its more than enough, I am renting a 1200 square feet house in town only use air con at night in our bedroom. If you plan on staying Sisaket drop by one of the two Falang restaurants both owners are great and plenty of teachers you can talk meet there.

I could live on 20,000 a month here but it wouldn't be fun but double that amount and you live a comfortable live.

I am in Denmark now but will be back in Sisaket in May if you are interested I can try to get the info about the school from my then you can try contacting the school and ask them what they are looking for, just send me a PK-

Edited by spacemand

Most Thais (even educated ones) can't tell. As long as you are white, you are considered a native speaker. I've taught at a couple of universities where they had a German and a man from Belgium teaching English. Let's just say....they were no where near native. But yet, the Thais don't consider me a native speaker.

SKi....

Most Thais (even educated ones) can't tell. As long as you are white, you are considered a native speaker. I've taught at a couple of universities where they had a German and a man from Belgium teaching English. Let's just say....they were no where near native. But yet, the Thais don't consider me a native speaker.

So true. I have taught English alongside some European colleagues whose accent was so thick I couldn't make out 30-50% of their oral English. Often, I had to resort to "would you mind spelling that word?" or "please send me an email," to close the gap.

I shuddered to think how their students fared in listening/speaking skills with that instructor as a model. But they were white. They got the job.

That's utter rubbish! The school where I teach at have just accepted a letter of resignation from a 70 years old teacher who has quite recently had to retire due to ill health. My friend who is 64 years old teaches at a kindergarten school in Hua Hin.

Not so long ago someone posted that you couldn't teach at a school if you were over 40 years of age. ESL teachers are in big demand over here.

when were they hired?