How Much Is A Life Worth In Thailand?

moskito

FYI ..... Drowning is at the top of the list of reasons kids die in Asia, ..... not roadkill.

I would question that because statistics might be skewed due to natural disasters like floods and the Tsunami related deaths. There is no control over natural disasters except NOT living close to any major flood land. I would still believe that motorcycle deaths would be more common with people in Thailand. Very few people wear helmets in rural areas and only wear them in places like Bangkok where police actually enforce the law.

I'm not sure lifeguards are needed. Or rather, I think they aren't.

Some signs for naive foreigners could be useful, stating that "no lifeguards, own risk, parents must watch children" and warning of specific dangers, like underdraft.

Sign languages: English, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Russian.

There are other things which need the authorities' attention much more than lifeguards on Phuket's beaches.

Many years ago in western countries, it also was the norm for children and youth to use natural waters to bathe and swim - at own risk.

Thailand and SE Asia in general is full of rivers, lakes, beaches and pools so the danger of drowning should not come unexpected for a Thai. How much children drown in the countless lakes and rivers of Isaan?

With so much water around, a high number of drownings is to be expected.

Spending a bit of money for watching a tourist beach will have zero effect.

Better spend the 5 million on some serious law enforcement, I guess that sum would be enough to employ some 30 or 40 tourist police and could curb abuse from jetski operators and tuktuk drivers, or enforce proper traffic rules, or...

heck, there is so much that can be done with 30 cops!

Edited by manarak

Amazing..bids for life savers..yet no policing of the cowboy Thais who operate and show off with the jet skis ( not the renters but the "boys" who operate the rentals) in swimming areas and race along the beaches in 4WDs regardless of kids, tourists on the beach...In Kata recently some little kid returning a ski to the trailer just sped past me within a couple metres and up the beach..big grin and and laughing with his mates..wish I'd had a bloody spear gun........

Edited by David006