Did You Get Fat Or Lose Weight?

ZRilla

I lost about 6 stone since I moved back to Scotland from Thailand 2 years ago. I just can't get used to the stodgy, processed that people live on here.

I've been interested in some of the diet tips here - fruit is fattening? Show me one person that gets heart disease eating fruit.

Also, I think that you can't really rely on beer as a source of carbohydrates - I'm no dietician but you'll take a long time to convince me that it's a better source of complex carbs than brown rice, or wholemeal flour

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gained weight because:

1) too hot, polluted and humid to exercise outdoor

2) many business trips (lunches and dinners with clients)

3) business trips means also vine and beers in the evening

4) aircon 24/7: I don't sweat much

5) I don't drink enough for this climate

6) coffee (with sugar) 5 times a day

I would love to enjoy some wild nightlife but the "dog" (my wife) is watching me very close :o

Also, I think that you can't really rely on beer as a source of carbohydrates - I'm no dietician but you'll take a long time to convince me that it's a better source of complex carbs than brown rice, or wholemeal flour

I find I don't get much of a buzz from brown rice or whole meal flour.

lost around 10 kg...in my 5 months here......no red wine, bread, pasta, roasts, pizza.......replaced by bugs, frogs.....etc..........who wouldnt lose weight :o

seriously...i love the issan food and hope to shed a few more kg

I ate mostly street Thai food in 2003 and the world fell out of my behind.

I lost so much weight that I was forced to stay in Thailand as there is not much wind.

Scamp...you're contradicting yourself.

In that "other" forum you've stated you avoid Thai Food like the plague? :o

I lost so much weight that I was forced to stay in Thailand as there is not much wind.

I do nowadays avoid it like the plague, do you know why?

Because I ate mostly street Thai food in 2003 and the world fell out of my behind.

It's no longer 2003.

...And I'm in a remote scottish fishing village and it's cold and it's windy and I love it. :D

I do nowadays avoid it like the plague, do you know why?

Because I ate mostly street Thai food in 2003 and the world fell out of my behind.

It's no longer 2003.

...And I'm in a remote scottish fishing village and it's cold and it's windy and I love it. :D

What remote Scottish fishing village are you in? It couldn't have worse weather than Peterhead!

What am I doing wrong?

I hoped to lose weight here but it just isn't working! I don't eat or drink nearly as much as I used to but I haven't lost any weight at all! :o

I see Thai people tucking into huge meals and they don't put weight on!

Think I will forever be carrying a spare tyre. And I'm only 24!!

What am I doing wrong?

I hoped to lose weight here but it just isn't working! I don't eat or drink nearly as much as I used to but I haven't lost any weight at all!  :D

I see Thai people tucking into huge meals and they don't put weight on!

Think I will forever be carrying a spare tyre. And I'm only 24!!

... if you're just 24 with a spare tyre, don't worry!!!

Once you'll get 34 you will have the full set of 4 :o:D

• 3 months later...
I have lost weight on every trip.

Just got back to the UK went out at 102 kilos. 2 months later returned at 94 Kilos

Eat about 85% Thai food when I'm there.Usually eat only two meals a day plus some fruit.I just don't feel as hungry in Thailand which is great as I put weight on too easily in England.Its a very different life style for me in Thailand.Much more active and the heat certainly helps burn off those cals.Just wish I could sell my house and move over more permanently. I would easily get down to 80 kilos and stay there.

I can agree to that! Not so hungry when travelling in Thailand, eat a little bit here an there, just the Singha or Chang keeps my weight from falling down more

:o

• 1 month later...

In the 15 months I've been here I'm down about 35 pounds. Living up here there isn't much temptation to eat farang food. I'm eating rice and noodles and the weight comes down. I'm now wearing jeans that I gave up on several years ago. I never thought I'd have a 36 inch waist again.

I did go home in March for 7 weeks and put on 15 pounds. As long as farang fast food is not available I'm good. Also it doesn't hurt that I really do like Isaan food.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I gained about 5 lbs on each of my last three trips to Thailand. I think its the low price of food at restaurants. Each dish is only 2-3 dollars, so why not try them all! This would be ok if I was travelling with other people, but I usually go solo.

Beer every night for 3 weeks does not help either.

Tim

Palm Springs, California

• 3 weeks later...

I'm shocked to say this, but in the last 6 months, I'm down 50 kilos! From 200 to 148.5 yesterday. I knew that I had lost some weight, but I wasn't sure how much- try to find a scale if you are over 200 kilos...

Anyway, I bought a scale in NY, and it arrived on Monday via FedEx. When I stood on it the first time, I seriously assumed it was broken. It wasn't. :o

The last time I was at this weight was at least 30 years ago.

Makes my losing the last 50 kilos look to be easy :D

This was the key. Every day for one hour....

frontyardsmall.jpg

For those of you who are living in Thailand or who have visited for an extended period of time, did the Thai food and the Thai lifestyle add to your waistline or did you lose weight?

While I holidayed in the "Land of Smiles" during the months of December and January-- I think I either lost weight or stayed where I was, which is great! I stayed at two hotels that provided a sumptious breakfast each day. At times I would not eat lunch if I had a substantial breakfast; I would normally eat a good dinner at a "nice" restaurant.

I love Thai food; when I am on vacation I usually lose weight. I shall continue to practice good eating habits when I am at home in order to retain the weight which is best for me. :o

I'm shocked to say this, but in the last 6 months, I'm down 50 kilos! From 200 to 148.5 yesterday. I knew that I had lost some weight, but I wasn't sure how much- try to find a scale if you are over 200 kilos...

Anyway, I bought a scale in NY, and it arrived on Monday via FedEx. When I stood on it the first time, I seriously assumed it was broken. It wasn't. :o

The last time I was at this weight was at least 30 years ago.

Makes my losing the last 50 kilos look to be easy :D

This was the key. Every day for one hour....

Here's a photo showing some facial transitions..

meme.jpg

Lighter. Exclusively Asian diet plus appetite-suppressing effect of the climate works every time. I also stick mainly to mehkong soda - possibly less fattening than beer.