Media Consulting - Where To Start In Bkk?

Hello everyone,

I'm moving to Bangkok in April. I'm a media consultant (pr strategy/VNRs/copywriting/online and tv content production) with a background in journalism.

I moved to Cairo from London a year ago but kept a few clients who I work with via the net/teleconference/trips to the US/UK. But I'd like to either find more clients in BKK or work with an agency (preferably part time to start with).

Anyone have any advice or opinions as to where to start? I have a list of agencies and a list of contacts in BKK and generally find it easy to find my way around socially when in a new country. None the less, it's always good to research as soon as possible! So any thoughts on client vs agency or any recommendations of good agencies to approach would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

I've been working in print publishing in Bangkok for almost four years.

The language issue is probably the main issue you'll have to overcome because English is simply a niche when compared to the understandable domination of Thai language in the media. I know one established media consultancy and many, many PR agencies, copywriters, etc. Your best approach, as you say, is to network like hel_l and get your name out there.

Good luck.

Thanks to both of you for the reply.

I've been learning Thai for the last 3 months but I don't speak it well enough to write.

Good to know there's serious competition but I've found that to be the case in other countries I've worked in.

I'll be keeping other clients from other countries but it would be nice to add a few, so I'll take the networking advice.

Thanks!

If you can develop a good 'feel' for the language and how to strike a nerve, I wouldn't be concerned about not being able to actually write. The real trick is what can you offer one of these agencies that a Thai national -- especially one who has spent time in UK, EU, or USA at a parent company -- cannot.