If one wanted to buy a lot in Chiangmai to - say - build a house... where would one even start to look? There is no "real" Chiangmai newspaper to speak of, like Bangkok, so you can't look at newspaper ads (for that matter, I don't see much land for sale in the Bangkok newspaper - only condos). And I see no "real estate" magazines like in my home country.

Going to a real estate agent - if they even have them here - would probably be disaster. As soon as they see white skin, I'm sure prices would double. I know this because I came to Thailand a few years back with an American Thai friend. When she went to look at land herself, anyone with white skin was forbidden to go with her, even her husband, because "They see white face... prices double, and I have to 'palm grease' (she meant 'grease palms,' ha) 30% from bottom to top!!!!"

To solve the "palm grease" and price doubling problems, I presume one way would be to send a Thai whom you trust to negotiate the deal so that a "bronze face" is presented vs. a "white face."

But again what about where to look to "know" about land for sale?

Also, do they have professional "property appraisers" here like back in the States, so that you could have the property appraised before you buy to attempt to ensure that you are not being ripped off (at least too horribly, that is)?

Thanks.

It is a given that buying land in a country in which you are not a native is a challenge. If your not up to it, don't try. Your post is so full of negtives I wonder if your really motivated. Assuming you are, you might try the following:

1. Decide where in Chiang Mai you want to live.

2. Check with the Real Estate Professionals on Haew Kaew Road to see what is available through them. Usually they only represent sellers.

3. You might "hire" one of their younger staff members by paying a commissionn to him on your purchase.

4. Have a Thai friend scour the neighborhood you want to live in, questioning all available Thais, especially shop keepers regarding land for sale.

4. If there is a development anywhere in the area, check them out for land prices.

5. Anything desireable to you in the greater Chiang Mai area that has streets, water, electric and telepone service under 8k per sq. wah is not a rip off.

6. Go to work and you will soon all you need to know not to be ripped off. Read the threads in Thaivisa regarding chinots and land purchasing.

7. Read the threads that reccomend agents in Chiang Mai that may be able to help you.

Good luck.

Many banks have listings of property for sale with prices. I don't know if the prices are good or not but I expect they are on the high side. I don't know if the prices are negotiable or not. I've never gone there.

Some real estate agents have websites with properties listed with prices. They all seem kind of high or really high to me....perhaps negotiable.

In any event if you don't speak Thai and don't have someone who speaks Thai then you will be limited to banks and real estate agents or foreigners I guess.

If you speak Thai or have someone who does then go drive around the area you are interested in and look for signs....talk to locals.

The real estate market in rural Thailand (and probably in cities too) is way different than in the west because owning property has more importance in Thai culture. Having land...even if you don't use it...is important because most/all Thais want to have land for their children to inherit. This added value makes most land more expensive than it useability would warrant. Its a cultural thing. Thais have a similar attitude toward gold...they own way more than would make a reasonable investment.

If one wanted to buy a lot in Chiangmai to - say - build a house... where would one even start to look? 

Unless you are Thai you cannot buy the title to land in Thailand.

Land is usually sold by personal contacts or, as has already been said, through banks. The process of buying is usually quite informal - you pay the money and have your name added to the documents at the local amphur, lawyers/professionals are not normally involved.

If I am negotiating for land myself, I get the absolute best price possible (know the average price for the area first) and then I send my lawyer in to negotiate further.

If the land is 5 mil per Rai after my negotiations and I feel this is a great price, I then offer my lawyer 10% on what ever he saves me below that price - they work a lot harder when they're on a commision.