Thai Military Conscription

Pushit

Do you have any information on the rules for military service and how conscription works.

My son is now 15 and was wanting to get a heads up on this.

We will probably be going to Bangkok in July with him on his US Passport

Do you have any words of wisdom...Thks

The OP is not talking about joining the Armed Forces Preparatory Academy to become an officer. He is asking about conscription.

My understanding is that if your son is not on a house registration in Thailand, he will not be called up for the draft. And at the age of 35, he becomes exempt from conscription.

The OP is not talking about joining the Armed Forces Preparatory Academy to become an officer. He is asking about conscription.

Is this the course that can be taken in High school in order to avoid the draft? I had Thai freinds in University here who did that and was planning on doing the same for my Thai/American son. Are you saying that this is not an option for Luk Kreungs?

"And at the age of 35, he becomes exempt from conscription."

I believe the age is 30.

----

"Armed Forces Preparatory Academy..."

"Is this the course that can be taken in High school in order to avoid the draft? I had Thai freinds in University here who did that and was planning on doing the same for my Thai/American son. Are you saying that this is not an option for Luk Kreungs?"

Not the same thing. One is a special school, the other is a course your son would take in a school.

Your son should be able to get an exemption based on taking the course in high school.

If he isn't living in Thailand then there is no stress. He is unable to attend the draft day, then that is fine. He can still travel to thailand either on his US or Thai passport and it will not matter.

If living in Thailand:

- Cadets can be done in high school or university too avoid going into the draft. Three years must be done to avoid the draft entirely.

- University education can also be done to defer the draft.

- Those with a university education can volunteer on drafting day, and only have to serve out six months. This is a common way for many families who either don't want to pay the money, or want their sons to have some sort of exposure to the army (this option is fairly common in some hi-so circles)

- You can take your chances with the picking a ball out of the hat. Wrong coloured ball, and you are in for 2 years. Odds for getting chosen depend on how many people have actually volunteered in that disctrict. If the intake is filled by volunteers, no people will be conscripted

For those who move back to Thailand after 30, then then you are in the clear. The army rejects all applicants over 30, as my army papers here show clearly.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a50475-...letter.JPG.html

Is this the course that can be taken in High school in order to avoid the draft? I had Thai freinds in University here who did that and was planning on doing the same for my Thai/American son. Are you saying that this is not an option for Luk Kreungs?

My son is doing this at the moment at his school ,he will not have to be conscripted.

• 2 months later...
If he isn't living in Thailand then there is no stress. He is unable to attend the draft day, then that is fine. He can still travel to thailand either on his US or Thai passport and it will not matter.

I'm living in Sweden and have not registered at my parents Thai baan thabian, but as I understand from your answer, registering is not a problem and will not cause me any problems as long as I'm not residing in Thailand? My Thai passport has expired and I will not get a new one unless I register in Thailand (according to the Thai embassy in Sweden).