Working In Not-the-standard Countries Discussion

Looking for discussions with opinions - well founded and not so..

For our own money and for two funds I generate opportunites to invest in. We target countries in Africa where fewer businesses focus their attention - places such as Eritrea, Angola, Botswana and so on.

I am curious whether any on this board have worked in not-so-standard countries (the term suck, so please suggest a better term for this kind of fun and strange place) or still do work there. What were your expectations? What then really happened? and so on. Pile up the valuable and fun stories if you care.

I typically go twice a month - One crazy place and one less so, just to keep things in balance.

Visa stories from Angola I may bring up if there are no takers, but let's hear about business issues too. Risk vs. Reward thoughts, which turned out great or not so great.

Cheers, CR

Just great! I guess I will have to think about threads with more focus on Thai issues. Well, it was great trying out for your attention. I guess that I will fade into the sunset and become a has been. BTW, anyone know what direction the gold will go? How can I transfer money from abroad to here? What about 400K, 800K or if I am a minor wanting to retire here?

Anyway, MODS. Please close my membership. It was a joke in 2007 and it has been a joke in 2010. THX to you all-

Just great! I guess I will have to think about threads with more focus on Thai issues. Well, it was great trying out for your attention. I guess that I will fade into the sunset and become a has been. BTW, anyone know what direction the gold will go? How can I transfer money from abroad to here? What about 400K, 800K or if I am a minor wanting to retire here?

Anyway, MODS. Please close my membership. It was a joke in 2007 and it has been a joke in 2010. THX to you all-

Goodbye Eritrea I suppose. That's a shame but you have the right to disappear like this.