Grain Alcohol

flemmie

Isn't that pretty much vodka? You don't say where in Thailand you are but I remember seeing a bottle in Friendship supermarket Pattaya what I though was vodka but had written grain alcohol on the label. Kinda assumed it was the same thing....

nah...the vodka label probably said 'distilled from grain'...

the OP is lookin' fer 180 proof pure spirits...sorta like poteen/moonshine...I've only seen it manufactured and bottled commercially in Mexico...probably not available commercially in Thailand...

saw someone once set a bottle of PGA (pure grain alcohol) that had been swished around onna finished oak table...when it was picked up after a short while to refill glasses the slops had burned a perfectly circular black stain into the wood...sorta like a cattle branding iron :) ...we were drinkin' it wid coke...

Back in my fraternity days, we used to mix it with cool-aid in an old bathtub. Everclear was the usual brand, as I recall; 190 proof.

I don't remember ever seeing it in Thailand.

Edited by Deke

You could take some vodka and purify it.

The boiling point of ethanol is 78.4 °C (173.1 °F), which will gas out first before the water.

Watch the thermometer in your homogeneous mixture.

Collect the distillate when the temp reads 78.4 C

When the temperature of your vodka increases above 78.4 C, stop.

FracDistRed.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you all for the feedback. It is indeed pure grain alcohol I was referring to and I live in BKK. The problem with Vodka is the additional tastes which would interfere with the brew I want to make.

No harm, I can live without it also, was just wondering.

Thanks again.