Gf Addicted To Sweeping

freebird32

Yes, I have the same thing. Sweeping with that short handled little broom. AND, I did buy her a vacuum cleaner. She uses it to suck up the bristles from her little broom and what little else she manages to sweep up. After that operation comes the wet mop.

One of the cleaners in my apartment building spends between one and two hours every morning, at 8am, just sweeping the floor in the lobby, and the pavement and road outside. She sweeps the road, <deleted>. She doesn't even use a dustpan, she just sweeps pebbles, dirt and dust from one part of the road to the other. It wouldn't be so bad but for the awful, cringeworthy sound it makes each time the brush connects with the concrete. It's absolute torture, every single day, for hours.

Tiled floors and bare foot, and the unmade road outside = lots of dust, that you can feel under your feet as most people take their shoes off on entering someones house! these combinations are not 'that' well known in the West (OK for me from the UK), where we have made roads and carpets and doormats in houses, that don't get vacuumed 'that' regularly!

Bring on the sweeping and the mopping, and leave the vaccum cleaner where it belongs!

That little whispy Asian broom is the BEST tool for tile floors in this country. Gets in the cracks and under low racks/shelving better than any western-style brooms or relatively bulky vacuum attachments.

And, if you've ever picked up the little broom yourself (stop shuddering) and done a quick once-over of your own floor, you'd be amazed how much NEW crap drifts into you pristine little home every hour, on the hour. Thailand is a pretty dirty country and that air carries a lot of dust and dirt from the environment. A five-minute once over every few hours is a small price to pay for having a clean floor where your bare feet doesn't pick up gunk between your toes when you walk across the room.

You guys doing all that complaining oughta try it yourself a time or two and you'd see why your wife does it with the tool she uses and why so often!

TT

Bachelor in Isaan

Edited by toptuan

That little whispy Asian broom is the BEST tool for tile floors in this country. Gets in the cracks and under low racks/shelving better than any western-style brooms or relatively bulky vacuum attachments.

And, if you've ever picked up the little broom yourself (stop shuddering) and done a quick once-over of your own floor, you'd be amazed how much NEW crap drifts into you pristine little home every hour, on the hour. Thailand is a pretty dirty country and that air carries a lot of dust and dirt from the environment. A five-minute once over every few hours is a small price to pay for having a clean floor where your bare feet doesn't pick up gunk between your toes when you walk across the room.

You guys doing all that complaining oughta try it yourself a time or two and you'd see why your wife does it with the tool she uses and why so often!

TT

Bachelor in Isaan

Amazingly enough I DO notice how much dust there is on the floor and (where I live) it does not need cleaning every hour. However, maids would spend ALL their time sweeping the floor. As I said before, its a great way of looking busy when you're actually doing v little...

TT

Bachelor in Isaan

TT

Bachelor in Isaan

Nah not buying that... my floor is as dirty/clean here as it would be anywhere else in the world. As for the brush itself a joke...its the biggest offender in my opinion :) death to the thai brush.... :D

TT

Bachelor in Isaan

one vote for you, toptuan.

plus, i like how they sweep away from themselves, as opposed to sweeping towards yourself. why stand in the middle of the dust storm when you can stand on the outside edge of it. i also like how the real professional sweepers can get 2 brooms going at the same time.

so people, if you want to buy a "proper" plastic western broom for 300 baht, go for it. don't think for a minute that it's bristles don't hold a lot of crap.

i'd sooner buy the cheaper compost-able thai broom for 50 (?) baht.

...never realized i felt so strongly on this topic.

The point is the act of sweeping has turned into an obesssion rather than a chore... especially when there is nothing to sweep. I keep telling her its clean but she insists on sweeping up the crap the thai brush leaves behind itself .... death to the thai brush thats what i say :D ..I feel uncomfortable with one of these things in room...makes me fell like i should be using it :)

It seems very common,my GF has a collection of brooms,she could sweep all day if she had time.

Only,she doesn't like ladders,so while the floor is so clean that you feel guilty walking on it, the ceiling is a complex geography of cobwebs and dead insects.

I tried to tell her that there are more interesting things to do,but it didn't work

Tiled floors and bare foot, and the unmade road outside = lots of dust, that you can feel under your feet as most people take their shoes off on entering someones house! these combinations are not 'that' well known in the West (OK for me from the UK), where we have made roads and carpets and doormats in houses, that don't get vacuumed 'that' regularly!

Bring on the sweeping and the mopping, and leave the vaccum cleaner where it belongs!

Sweeping it up just throws it back up into the air and right on down again.

TT

Bachelor in Isaan

It simply deoesnt get up as much stuff look in between your tile grouting its all still in there, vac sucks it out.

One of the funnest moments for me in Thailand was one day my wife her mother and aunty where going to the weekly market at the temple, my MIL came back after they had walked about 50 metres, she picked up the broom and went after them. What was so funny is the picture in my mind of MIL getting on the broom to go to the market. LOL

Sweeping is a great way of making it look as if you're doing something when in reality you're doing v little indeed....

Seen it with maids. :)

:D

P.S. I bet it's done with one hand behind her back.

P.P.S. Re meditation comment, have you ever seen The Karate Kid.

Sweeping is a great way of making it look as if you're doing something when in reality you're doing v little indeed....

Seen it with maids. :)

:D

P.S. I bet it's done with one hand behind her back.

P.P.S. Re meditation comment, have you ever seen The Karate Kid.

nah, that wasnt meditation, he was learning his defense, "paint the fence Danielson" :D

TT

Bachelor in Isaan

plus, i like how they sweep away from themselves, as opposed to sweeping towards yourself. why stand in the middle of the dust storm when you can stand on the outside edge of it. i also like how the real professional sweepers can get 2 brooms going at the same time.

so people, if you want to buy a "proper" plastic western broom for 300 baht, go for it. don't think for a minute that it's bristles don't hold a lot of crap.

I'm a two-broomer. Thank you. :)

Encouraged by your accolades, it's now going on my resume.

TT

Bachelor in Isaan

I'm a two-broomer. Thank you. :)

Encouraged by your accolades, it's now going on my resume.

Have to admit i have never seen the 2 broomer.....must be a thing of beauty :D

Maybe we should try and organise some sort of sweeping olympics with prizes for different categories such as speed,technique,thoroughness,creativity etc

My wife is always looking for something different. SHe has the regular broom but rarely uses it. She prefers the hand held and is extremely fast with that thing. One odd type stick vacuum cleaner I think for floor rugs, it is rechargeable if you guys know what I mean. We also have the pull vacuum of the 60's.

BUt she found something she loves. She saw me using my lent brush (the kind made of with reversable tape)) on my suits one morning an BAM!!! Life has changed in our house. I can not get my wife to stop using them on the floors!!!! So I stopped buying the tape kind and got the cloth types. Now she buys ten rolls at a time wide packing tape.

I just hope no one we know buys one of those robot vacuums.