Study Visa To Teaching Visa?

Hi. I have been in Thailand for about 5 years, the last 4 were with multi entry Ed - Visas from a well recognized university in Thailand.

I have now finished my education and will be visiting my home country with my son. (He has both Thai and home country passports)

However next May I have accepted a teaching position at a government school. They are willing to help me get the visa but this is a new program and they are not sure if they are doing things correctly.

My Ed-Visa will end in July. I had planned to leave Thailand and then come back on that Visa. (Leave March and come back in May)

Once I come back will I then need to leave the country again to change the Visa? The school thinks I need to leave to get a new Visa. If this is not true can it be done in BKK? If this is true can I go to any Thai consulate or embassy? Cambodia or Myanmar?

Are there any problems with what I am trying to do?

Is there such thing as a multi entry visa for the type of visa I will need??

Thanks for all of your help and assistance;)

Your employer may be able to get you a work permit and extension of stay now .... Then you would just need a re-entry permit to keep the visa alive.

If you leave the country and get a new visa then I suggest you contact the royal Thai Embassy where you are going to see what documentation they require to issue a non-imm-B (or O -- based on your son)

There is no "teaching Visa" or "Work Visa" and either a non-o or non-b (and I believe the non-ed) can have a work permit issued on it. Extention of stay can be based on your son or on the work permit.

So it seems I might not have to leave Thailand to do this. If that is true, how do I change the Visa without leaving Thailand? Will I need to go to BKK or can the school handle it?

Thanks

The school should apply for the workpermit for you and then you should go get the extension of stay based on that. Every immigration office handles things a tish differently. You may wish to call them and ask.

One of the experts hopefully will jump in here and help out!

From Police order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Note: Two months first extension after that 3 months

You can not obtain a work permit on an ED visa. They should be able to provide you enough paperwork to obtain a non immigrant B visa for return (just a letter signed by school might be all that is required). If you do enter on the ED visa you can expect to have to obtain a non immigrant B visa outside of Thailand prior to the work permit being issued.

Most people work with one year extensions of stay but if you want a multi entry non immigrant B visa it would be much easier to obtain outside of the immediate area of Thailand.

This means it is better to go to Canada than Cambodia?? Also I can't get the Non IM B on return from home even if I have all of the paper work?

The school will provide me with all the paper that I will need, I just need to know what they are first and where I need to go. They are now asking me what country I will be going to.

Thanks for all of your help

And the school is asking where you will go so they know what you need. Outside the area often just an invitation type letter is all that is required - in the local area much more paperwork would be required. So if going to Canada anyhow that is what you should tell the school.