Us Honorary Consulates

A couple of hours ago, I pulled up the Portland Honorary Consulate website. ( See HERE) This is what I saw:

Non-Immigrant Visa: $65.00 single entry/$175.00 multiple entry (O-A (Retirement) visas can only be issued at Los Angeles, Chicago, New York and Washington, DC).

I then sent out an email to Portland, asking the following:

I noticed on your website that you no longer issue Non Imm O-A visas.

Is this a new requirement? (I know in the past you have issued such visas -- and provided excellent service and guidance in doing so.)

Does this now, to your knowledge, pertain to all honorary consulates? (I.e., was a general directive issued to all honorary Thai consulates?)

Here's what I got back within half an hour:

Thank you for your e-mail. The new requirement was issued to all Honorary Consulates – it is very unfortunate, especially for our repeat customers. We have put in a plea to the government to allow us to continue, but so far no luck. I am, however, able to continue issuing the non-immigrant O visas, so if you would like to get that one from me, I have no problem issuing it to you from this office.

Sincerely,

Mary Wheeler

Consular Assistant

Royal Thai Consulate General

1136 NW Hoyt Street, Suite 210

Portland, OR 97209

The latter part of her answer was in response to asking if one could apply to Portland from anywhere in the US, not just in Oregon (the answer, apparently: "yes").

Honorary consulates in Great Britain lost the capability to issue O-A visas a couple of years ago. If, indeed, "all" honorary consulates in the States have now gotten this directive, that sucks big time!

I never saw the sense in getting O-A issues. Expensive.

If you have to (or wish to) go your home country every 2 years it not more expensive.

It's not always easy to get proof of revenues

(by example some embassies refuse to sign for money that you earn abroad...)

and some people do not trust Thai Bank to keep their money.

In fact it's a very easy way to get a visa, some places only verify your are 50+.

I never saw the sense in getting O-A issues. Expensive.

The wife and I found getting the O-A issued prior to arrival here in Thailand much easier with not having to depend on someone else to lead you around and all of the mis-information. For a couple or single who know nobody here I still beleive that it is the best visa allowed.........

The retirement extension inside Thailand is about as simple as it gets. You really don't need any help to do it. Basically it is your passport/copies, proof of financial, TM.7 form filled out with current photo attached and 20 minutes of your time for most people.

Extras might be a map to home - address proof as a lease or letter - form medical certificate at a couple of locations. But for most people para one is all that will be required.

In home country medical can be severely expensive and put you into medical treatment from shock. A police check would also be required. In most cases documents have to be formally notarized.

The retirement extension inside Thailand is about as simple as it gets. You really don't need any help to do it. Basically it is your passport/copies, proof of financial, TM.7 form filled out with current photo attached and 20 minutes of your time for most people.

Extras might be a map to home - address proof as a lease or letter - form medical certificate at a couple of locations. But for most people para one is all that will be required.

In home country medical can be severely expensive and put you into medical treatment from shock. A police check would also be required. In most cases documents have to be formally notarized.

So far 2 OA visas from Embassy in Washington DC and 1 OA visa from Consulate in New York and not one document has been required to be notarized that may be a Ministry of Foreign Affairs requirement but has never been enforced in my experience in three visas

In home country medical can be severely expensive and put you into medical treatment from shock

$20 Co-pay with insurance from your Family doctor. No one has ever given me a hard time about certifying that I don't have Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, or third phase of Syphilis. You should have a chest Xray every two years anyway

proof of financial

What is it worth NOT to have to go to the US Embassy in Bangkok for the income letter

A police check would also be required.

Local Police Department and or Sheriffs Department has never charged me for a local police records check

Everyone has different needs, so one size does not fit all

Many people are being required to perform the actions I listed and some at very high prices. For others it is not a problem.

As for visit to US Embassy the letter takes less than 20 minutes including filling out, paying, submission and oath. Not really that hard - and if you are using bank deposit Embassy is not even in the equation.

What is it worth NOT to have to go to the US Embassy in Bangkok for the income letter

You don't have to go to BKK -- If you can coordinate the timing, then the Consular Outreach roving consular can provide the Income Letter... I received mine last year in Udon Thani (the visit to KK is in the spring and doesn't sync for me)

As for visit to US Embassy the letter takes less than 20 minutes including filling out, paying, submission and oath.

I use to often criticize France for its awful bureaucracy, but on this point French people just have to send a scan of the proof of their revenues by email and the French Embassy of Bangkok send them the Official Signed Attestation by post the same day... and free. :D

If only it could be so easy for other administrative tasks... :)

Last April when I did it from America there was no longer a need for a medical certificate or a police check.

I suspect you are talking about a non immigrant O visa for 90 day stays rather than a non immigrant OA visa which provides a one year stay on entry.

The non Immigrant OA requires proof of money in bank account/pension, medical and police check.

Required Documents:- (Required 3 sets: 1 original and 2 copies)

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 18 months

- Visa application form completely filled out (download)

- Addition Application form (download)

- A medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) certificate shall be valid for not more than three months (download)

- Three passport-size photographs (2"x2") (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months.

- A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht

- In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required

- A letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months)

- In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence

http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/VISA/Non-Imglong.aspx

Many people are being required to perform the actions I listed and some at very high prices. For others it is not a problem.

As for visit to US Embassy the letter takes less than 20 minutes including filling out, paying, submission and oath. Not really that hard - and if you are using bank deposit Embassy is not even in the equation.

With the appointment system I agree the paperwork is easy and reasonably quick.

However, one small point is left out in your 20 minute time estimate - getting there and back - if you do not live closeby.....

What is very easy when it is an option is using the bank verification.

Isn't the overall message here that Thailand is tightening up the rules all round when it comes to ex-pats and visa's, cases in point are this thread and the message reinforcing that farangs arriving in Thailand must now hold a minimum level of cash. Maybe it's all about trying to gain better control of it's borders, dunno!

You don't have to go to BKK -- If you can coordinate the timing, then the Consular Outreach roving consular can provide the Income Letter... I received mine last year in Udon Thani (the visit to KK is in the spring and doesn't sync for me)

I did my proof of income letter from the UK embassy in BKK by post and it took 7 days. 200 Bahtish on post beats travels costs, time wasting, taxis and a hotel for the night. Some people fear putting their passport in a registered letter but lets face it they rarely do and the insurance covers the cost of a lost passport anyway.

I suspect you are talking about a non immigrant O visa for 90 day stays rather than a non immigrant OA visa which provides a one year stay on entry.

The non Immigrant OA requires proof of money in bank account/pension, medical and police check.

I am on my fourth retirement visa from Pattaya and only did a medical for my first one. I was told later the medical requirement had been abolished. I have never had to turn in a police report. Never a problem.

You are confusing the acutal visa with an extension of stay. For an extension of stay the health certificate is no longer required, although some immigration offices still ask for it. The police repor was always only for the O-A visa application, not the extension of stay based on retirement.

Lop do you know if Houston TX is still (will be) issuing Non-Immigrant O-A multiple entry visas? That will sure be a big problem for me come June or July if I can't get another one. I am planning my trip to L.A. mainly for this reason. The main reason this visa is perfect for me is because Houston accepts a letter of guarantee from my stock broker in Europe as proof of funds. They also accept the medical report from Chiang Mai University.

From what is said here no more from non official Consulates - which is the way it started some years ago. You can apply by mail to the official Consulate that covers the area you are living I suspect.

I suspect you may have a problem getting approval of those funds; but that is just a guess. You might want to start correspondence early.

As of my last and recent email from Brisbane OA is still available, that's where I'm renewing mine next month. Perth is still issuing them, I don't know about other Consulates in Aust. The medical is bullshit and in Perth your local doctor will have a chuckle and probably not charge any more than the MediCare rate which equals zero to you. I believe Perth require a notorized bank statement where I'm under the impression that a bank stamp and signature is all they want in Brisbane.

It is way and beyond the best option for this visa if one visits there home country every couple of years. Your 800K is there working for you which pays for the AUD $225 visa cost and there is NO bullshlt Thai Immigration to put up with, moving goal posts and hoops to jump through. 2 Years of near on hassle free freedom.

Re some of the points above about Thai visas issued in the U.S...

--I posted recently, in another thread, pointing out that the web site for the Portland honorary consulate had a message saying O-A (retirement) visas could only be issued from the regular consulates, not honorary. There was no mention on their web site when that change took effect.

--Also was looking recently at the official L.A. consulate's web site, and they indeed wanted four copies of everything notarized for non-imm visa applications. That may not be the case everywhere. But it certainly is the case in Los Angeles.

--Re the required medical exam for O-A retirement visas issued in the U.S., everybody's insurance can be different. But as a general rule, most private insurance plans in the U.S., particularly PPOs, don't pay/cover anything for routine medical exams/annual checkups. So most people with PPOs or without health insurance will have to pay at least for an office visit ($50 to $80) out of their pockets.

On the other hand, some HMO policies do cover one annual checkup from the perspective of trying to catch problems before they become more serious.

--Even though Portland and apparently the other honorary consulates (presumably including Houston) can no longer issue O-A retirement visas, it was good to see the representative of the Portland office say they were still receptive to issuing regular O (visit friends/family) visas...

I am planning my trip to L.A. mainly for this reason.

Of the four official consulates (LA, Chicago, NY, Wash DC), LA is the worst choice, as they're the only ones that don't issue a multi entry Non Imm O-A. And their single entry O-A limits to one-year the effectiveness of the O-A visa (vice two-years for the multi entry variety).

Wash DC will take applications from anywhere in the US. Don't know about Chicago or NY.

I am planning my trip to L.A. mainly for this reason.

Of the four official consulates (LA, Chicago, NY, Wash DC), LA is the worst choice, as they're the only ones that don't issue a multi entry Non Imm O-A. And their single entry O-A limits to one-year the effectiveness of the O-A visa (vice two-years for the multi entry variety).

Wash DC will take applications from anywhere in the US. Don't know about Chicago or NY.

Jim, I'm only going to L.A. because I grew up there and have some business to take care of. I had planned to immediately FedEx my application to Houston, just like I did in July 2008 when I was in L.A. last.

Sounds like a call or email to the Houston consulate is in order....

They've always been great, in my past dealings with them. But I'm not sure whether they're still able to be issuing O-As....

Best to get direct from the source. They're pretty easy to communicate with.

Sounds like a call or email to the Houston consulate is in order....

They've always been great, in my past dealings with them. But I'm not sure whether they're still able to be issuing O-As....

Best to get direct from the source. They're pretty easy to communicate with.

I've already sent off an email to them. Will post the response. Yes, you are right. They are great to deal with.